New Canadian Cruise Requirements - Alaska Cruise Season in Jeopardy Again?

JT1962

So we have a RT out of Vancouver (Sept RCI Serenade)...will fly in day of cruise and test the day before we fly at our local CVS.

Hopefully RCI will provide tests on the ship before we arrive back into Vancouver for our flight back to SoCal cruise day end. Does this sound about right to work this way. We're all vaccinated/boosted.

1 hour ago, Nofx242 said:

That would only be for disembarking in Canada, only for a back to back cruise.  If you end in Alaska you wont need another test.

Although I see your point biggest is who will foot the bill.  I did see something awhile back about them having a testing site at the ports, no mention of cost.

Antigen tests are really cheap...like $5 or less per test now (I know people who buy them in bulk for their organization)

For a cruiseline, that's cheap especially for high fare destination like Alaska 

5 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

What will happen to passengers who test positive? Will they be allowed to disembark? I can see that this is way more complicated than I was thinking. 

Another issue with testing everyone after they tested negative and are now onboard. There will likely be a few false positives, positive asymptomatic cases, etc. with several thousand being tested. Will they require those to quarantine after debarking? What about the traveling party / close contacts? Maybe not a dealbreaker, but just more things to stress over while trying to enjoy a vacation.

19 minutes ago, gilboman said:

Antigen tests are really cheap...like $5 or less per test now (I know people who buy them in bulk for their organization)

For a cruiseline, that's cheap especially for high fare destination like Alaska 

Yeah, I can't imagine turning away a full fare over $5 a person, that's peanuts even just compared to what people will spend on board.

2 minutes ago, PhotoGal07 said:

Yeah, I can't imagine turning away a full fare over $5 a person, that's peanuts even just compared to what people will spend on board.

But each test needs to be monitored. Self administered tests are not allowed. So it is not just the cost of the test but having the monitors and the plans ready to deal with the positive cases. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

But each test needs to be monitored. Self administered tests are not allowed. So it is not just the cost of the test but having the monitors and the plans ready to deal with the positive cases. 

Yeah but there's already blueprints in place for this.  Disney does this, and I believe all sailings to Hawaii already do this as well.  The monitor is just a crew member, so new additional $ needed, same for plans for dealing with positive cases.  Basically it's just a logistical issue of deciding where to hold the tests (usually dining room) and moving schedules around so a few members of the crew are available at the right time.

45 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Cruiselines already do this, they gather everyone like at muster and then do it. Go read up on B2B or Hawaii cruises or cruises longer than 7 days . This is standard stuff now for cruises 

Cruises already have plans for positive cases , I mean that's why there's quarantine sections on cruiseships 

Rapid tests are so quick, cheap and easy and routine. My wife needs rapid test everyday before work, we take rapid tests before going out to parties. You can even get proctored tests online for $5/pp using own/free kits from govt now here too 

Edited by gilboman
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, gilboman said:

Cruiselines already do this, they gather everyone like at muster and then do it. Go read up on B2B or Hawaii cruises or cruises longer than 7 days . This is standard stuff now for cruises 

Cruises already have plans for positive cases , I mean that's why there's quarantine sections on cruiseships 

Rapid tests are so quick, cheap and easy and routine. My wife needs rapid test everyday before work, we take rapid tests before going out to parties. You can even get proctored tests online for $5/pp using own/free kits from govt now here too 

Do you have a link for any of the companies that offer proctoring service when you're using your own kits?  I test really frequently, and that sounds way more time and cost effective than what I've been doing when I need an 'official' test.  

2 hours ago, Virga said:

Call me an optimist, but I feel pretty sure that cruise lines would rather sail and pay an extra ~$5pp for a rapid test than cancel or change itineraries again.  

I am not sure where you are getting the $5/test figure from?

Also its more than just test an extra time.

A excerpt from the government website:

"The Plan should include a regular SARS-CoV-2 testing program that includes testing of the crew and passengers, and mechanisms to ensure passengers and crew are aware of signs, symptoms and exposure of COVID-19 for self- assessments."

I don't take that as a "test 1 time before you enter Canada and you are good. 

It would also seem Canada wants to roll back things to early in the US cruise restart with restrictions on things like capacity:

"The Plan should include specific public health measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. The identification of different strategies should be based on a risk assessment for dining rooms, entertainment venues, recreational facilities and other places that passengers and crew congregate to prevent the transmission of COVID-19."

https://tc.canada.ca/en/initiatives/covid-19-measures-updates-guidance-issued-transport-canada/canada-s-cruise-ship-instructional-reference-tool

28 minutes ago, gilboman said:

Cruiselines already do this

What cruise lines are testing 100% of people on board within a 72 hour window before arriving at a specific port? Additionally is there a cut off? What happens if a passenger fails to be tested will the ship be turned away for not having had everyone tested?

My hope is that we can just skip Canada on our Alaska cruise in June.

24 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

"The Plan should include a regular SARS-CoV-2 testing program that includes testing of the crew and passengers, and mechanisms to ensure passengers and crew are aware of signs, symptoms and exposure of COVID-19 for self- assessments."

It would also seem Canada wants to roll back things to early in the US cruise restart with restrictions on things like capacity:

"The Plan should include specific public health measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. The identification of different strategies should be based on a risk assessment for dining rooms, entertainment venues, recreational facilities and other places that passengers and crew congregate to prevent the transmission of COVID-19."

https://tc.canada.ca/en/initiatives/covid-19-measures-updates-guidance-issued-transport-canada/canada-s-cruise-ship-instructional-reference-tool

Well, we pay about than that for our tiny sixteen person lab - not any sort of special rate other than buying them by the hundred.  I pay $7 each to buy five packs at Costco.  If cruiselines pay more than that, something is amiss.  I'm equally confident that it would not be the cost that would prevent them from testing every day, if that's what Canada required.  It might be too high a burden to ask from passengers, but the cost wouldn't be the issue.

Edited by Virga
Typo

22 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

What cruise lines are testing 100% of people on board within a 72 hour window before arriving at a specific port? Additionally is there a cut off? What happens if a passenger fails to be tested will the ship be turned away for not having had everyone tested?

I am on a B2B, 14-day cruise to Alaska out of Vancouver and hope that we DO NOT skip Canada. If we skip Canada our cruise will be cancelled --- been there---done that.  Sure the news is not what I was hoping for but I will make the best of it. 

Just now, Italy52 said:

I am on a B2B, 14-day cruise to Alaska out of Vancouver and hope that we DO NOT skip Canada. If we skip Canada our cruise will be cancelled --- been there---done that.  Sure the news is not what I was hoping for but I will make the best of it. 

There will be cruises out of Vancouver. I am talking about being on a cruise out of Seattle and having these additional hoops for essentially a 4 hour pitstop to check a box for the US laws.

• Like 2

I do hope that you all are correct. I have tickets  to and hotel booked in Vancouver before we sail and the first day out has magnificent scenery that would be sad to miss. I guess that time will tell. 

So if I read the new rules correctly if I fly into Vancouver a day early I need a rapid test the day before to get into Canada and then another once there to board the ship the following day?

16 minutes ago, DougH said:

So if I read the new rules correctly if I fly into Vancouver a day early I need a rapid test the day before to get into Canada and then another once there to board the ship the following day?

I think a PCR 3 days before  should work for both I think. I for one do not want to fly from the east cost and test positive and be stuck in Canada. I have a north bound leaving on Sunday, I assume 3 days before will be Thursday?  

1 hour ago, Virga said:

Do you have a link for any of the companies that offer proctoring service when you're using your own kits?  I test really frequently, and that sounds way more time and cost effective than what I've been doing when I need an 'official' test.  

Weird they blocked out my link but one is lifecenters dot ca 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J0Y0US said:

$5 (actually a bit less) is cost for the rapid tests ...what you've highlighted is just need for a covid19 plan. All cruiselines have this already 

Cruiselines already have routine tests on crew

1 hour ago, J0Y0US said:

Royal (think all cruiselines) for non US sailings , Hawaii cruises? Viking tests daily etc 

You make it seem like it's a lot of work ..it's a rapid test. Takes more work to clean your room lol

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DougH said:

Just get a PCR or naat test...good for 72hrs before entry to Canada and can use for cruise (I think cruiselines have variation of either 72 or 48hrs before embarkation)

When they say molecular test is that a PCR and is a antigen test the rapid one?  Talked to a Princess rep and she said that a rapid test within 48 hours of boarding would get me into Canada a day early and then allow me to board the 2nd day

7 minutes ago, gilboman said:

Just get a PCR or naat test...good for 72hrs before entry to Canada and can use for cruise (I think cruiselines have variation of either 72 or 48hrs before embarkation)

Anyone know how strict Viking would be on exactly 72 hours?  We are flying out of Atlanta on Saturday to Vancouver, then boarding ship on Monday... Theoretically, a PCR test done on Friday should cover both admission to Canada and boarding the ship... but with the 3 hour time difference, if we were a few hours past 72 hours, would they still accept it?  Or should we try to get another test near our hotel (Delta Marriott) in Vancouver?  Or bring some Viking approved self tests with us?