Staying in touch with text messages

So I have AT&T for my phone service. 
this is going back several years just wondering if this will still work?

before I got on the cruise ship I would forward my phone to a landline.

shut my Wi-Fi off and leave cellular on. At the time I could receive text messages

free of charge outgoing would be something like $.50 would this still work today?

No need to jump thru hoops. Just turn off your data when roaming. Incoming text messages are always free and you only pay when you send a message. You'll also pay for outgoing and incoming call if you answer but that will be you decision.

Before you leave the US turn on the wifi calling (free) on your phone, put cell in airplane mode once on ship, purchase wifi and you'll have text and calling as if your home...anywhere in the world...as long as you are connect via wifi.

35 minutes ago, DeputyDawg46 said:

Before you leave the US turn on the wifi calling (free) on your phone, put cell in airplane mode once on ship, purchase wifi and you'll have text and calling as if your home...anywhere in the world...as long as you are connect via wifi.

This just worked great for us onboard Navigator !!!

• Like 1

The whole idea is not to purchase any Wi-Fi or calling plan just want family to be able to get in touch in case of emergency I can deal with no Internet for a week or two matter of fact looking forward to it.

11 minutes ago, rdemn said:

The whole idea is not to purchase any Wi-Fi or calling plan just want family to be able to get in touch in case of emergency I can deal with no Internet for a week or two matter of fact looking forward to it.

I would look at international charges on AT&T website.  I have Verizon, so not familiar with AT&T, but I know I can put in my phone type and travel plans on the Verizon website and find out exactly what the options and costs for a cruise.

The $1.99 quoted above is the daily charge per person for texting in the Royal app on the ship and has nothing to do with what you are looking to do.

What you are thinking of doing used to work for us.  Check with AT&T.

4 minutes ago, DeputyDawg46 said:

One thing I found out years ago is that most AT&T and Verizon plans allow you to take it off Airplane Mode and use your cell, like at home, in Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas at no extra cost.  Check with your carrier  

At&t includes Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands in its domestic plans. Their North American plans includes everything in the domestic plans plus Mexico and Canada. 

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

At&t includes Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands in its domestic plans. Their North American plans includes everything in the domestic plans plus Mexico and Canada. 

It makes it nice when at ports in these places.  Especially for folks who do not want to pay for the WiFi.  I just have to remember to put back on Airplane Mode when leaving port.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

Put your phone in the safe and give your family the emergency information for contacting your ship.

This can take time....if my family needs to contact us in an emergency we're only a text or call away regardless of where we physically are. Just how we prefer to be.

23 minutes ago, Ashland said:

This can take time....if my family needs to contact us in an emergency we're only a text or call away regardless of where we physically are. Just how we prefer to be.

But you don't mind getting the wifi package -- the OP doesn't want to do that.

Like you, I do the wifi calling and Voom package. 

Edited by brillohead

7 hours ago, DeputyDawg46 said:

One thing I found out years ago is that most AT&T and Verizon plans allow you to take it off Airplane Mode and use your cell, like at home, in Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas at no extra cost.  Check with your carrier  

In EU countries, most plans include the calls and texts in other countries as part of the plan.

I just turn off airplane mode every time we dock. I an even often catch a land based tower the first hour or more after sailing. 

• Like 1