I refuse to call it a Fanny pack but….

Kim1976

Has anyone used a “waist wallet” or crossbody type sling?  Like these? I’m thinking for airport and cruise/ports😬.  I’ve made fun of them for so long but i could handle a sling type.

3EE0D4AB-1F39-4380-B29B-E70BD0527809.jpeg

E0B38C5A-B14C-4567-B1FE-2E9802CBF1E5.webp

I use a crossbody bag as well. There are many choices on the market and the one in the photo looks uncomfortable to me too. I have small one from Kipling that I love😀

In the Summer when I'm not working, I use my Cotopaxi Bataan fanny pack as my everyday bag.  I use it as a sling bag.   Sling bags are actually pretty popular where I live.  The original Kavu slings are all over - my one friend even uses hers as her everyday bag in Okinawa.'

The woman in the photo is wearing it wrong - needs to have the belt lengthened out and the bag part towards the back (unless you are in pickpocket territory).  It's actually comfortable.  I used a sling bag when I had my shoulder surgery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2022 at 2:25 AM, ozzy77 said:

Oh I flat out am rockin the fanny pack🤣 I got one I think is cute(ish) but it’s just super convenient to be hands free and it’s close to my body etc

Show us a picture, please.

Looks too heavy and a bit too bulky for my taste. But I don't like anything around my waist.  That is why I prefer a cross body style.

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't want to call it a fanny pack, you can also call it a belt bag. I have several of the Everyday Belt Bags from Lululemon. They are only $38, and have one zippered pocket on the part next to your body (the outside part but the back of it), and three mesh pockets inside (two small, one large enough to fit a phone) and the main zippered compartment. I can fit my small wallet, key, cell phone, my Ray Bans in their case, and a small tub of lip balm and hand sani.

I agree with above I do not like wearing the fanny packs like a cross body, esp since I have a bigger bust. If you buy a fanny pack, wear it as a fanny pack, or just get a cross body. It's ok to like something that you once thought was unhip. I grew up in the 80s. We were all over the nylon bright color fanny packs. The ones today are much more sleek. Unless of course you want to wear that kind to be ironic.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2022 at 2:25 AM, ozzy77 said:

Oh I flat out am rockin the fanny pack🤣 I got one I think is cute(ish) but it’s just super convenient to be hands free and it’s close to my body etc

I've used fanny packs for travel since they invented them.  I cannot bear to carry a purse, and anything over my arthritic shoulders for more than ten minutes is painful.  Once you get used to 'hands-free' travel, you can't imagine dealing with a bag at all.  I've been through almost all kinds of bags and always go back to a fanny pack.  Am I concerned about what others in our day tour will think of me?  Not a chance! I want my 'stuff' with me, and a fanny pack is perfect.  I will use a travel vest with a nice scarf if the weather is cool, that's really convenient.   I like this flattish bag you posted, Lisa.

• Like 1

Gotta tell the truth:  quite functional (and I love that part), but so, so ugly.  

If you want something similar that doesn't look like it's being worn on the wrong body part, consider a Healthy Back Bag -- it really does feel like nothing on your back.  They come in small, medium and large, leather, ripstop nylon and print fabrics.  They're very well designed with multiple pockets -- even one for your sunglasses.  You can kinda "slide it around" and reach the large zippered pocket without removing it.  

Mine's navy blue, and my husband doesn't mind sharing it because it doesn't look like a purse.  

Here's one on Amazon -- you can find oodles more:  https://www.amazon.com/AmeriBag-Small-Distressed-Nylon-Healthy/dp/B084MCTDD6/ref=asc_df_B001CE4CMA/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312070254239&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14311436044652563645&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009900&hvtargid=pla-337396497022&ref=&adgrpid=63781058562&th=1  

Screenshot 2022-06-22 11.14.03 AM.png

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 5:38 AM, 2BACRUISER said:

I have this exact Travelon purse as my everyday bag in a pretty navy color. I love it and will not wear anything other than a cross-body or "fanny" bag again - unless I am going just out to dinner or event in which I MIGHT take a small clutch. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Janie1229 said:

I have this exact Travelon purse as my everyday bag in a pretty navy color. I love it and will not wear anything other than a cross-body or "fanny" bag again - unless I am going just out to dinner or event in which I MIGHT take a small clutch. 

Exactly!  Once you use a fanny pack, you'll not go back to carrying something.  Bringing a small clutch purse for dinners is a simple solution.  I found one that is presentable (ie the husband doesn't laugh at me) and weightless after looking for a couple of years.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older post, but popping back into it.  Now that belt bags have popped up everywhere, has anyone found a waterproof one that they like?  I've seen the clear plastic ones on Amazon and I do not like them.  I'm looking for something just big enough for my phone, sunglasses, lipgoo and id card.  Maybe some cash.  We'll be in the Bahamas in January (one day entirely at the beach) and Costa Rica in April (not a cruise).  I'm looking for something small that I can keep on me at all times.  
On the way to our last cruise I got a Le Pliage tiny sling that was good for keeping those things with me on the ship, but it doesn't close securely enough for doing anything active.  
https://www.longchamp.com/us/en/products/phone-case-34201HDF165.html

10 minutes ago, gail-s said:

I know this is an older post, but popping back into it.  Now that belt bags have popped up everywhere, has anyone found a waterproof one that they like?  I've seen the clear plastic ones on Amazon and I do not like them.  I'm looking for something just big enough for my phone, sunglasses, lipgoo and id card.  Maybe some cash.  We'll be in the Bahamas in January (one day entirely at the beach) and Costa Rica in April (not a cruise).  I'm looking for something small that I can keep on me at all times.  
On the way to our last cruise I got a Le Pliage tiny sling that was good for keeping those things with me on the ship, but it doesn't close securely enough for doing anything active.  
https://www.longchamp.com/us/en/products/phone-case-34201HDF165.html

Have you tried any of the Baggalini options? I recently found one at Marshall's. It is a crossbody style and not too big and not too small. They make a good quality nylon bag in alot of different sizes. This one holds everything I need and sounds like we carry the same few things.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Have you tried any of the Baggalini options? I recently found one at Marshall's. It is a crossbody style and not too big and not too small. They make a good quality nylon bag in alot of different sizes. This one holds everything I need and sounds like we carry the same few things.

Needs to be waterproof ... might be a tall order.  Think that I'd put all my stuff in a ziplock and secure it in the fanny pack of my choice.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Needs to be waterproof ... might be a tall order.  Think that I'd put all my stuff in a ziplock and secure it in the fanny pack of my choice.

Most that I'm finding are water resistant not proof.  I could always use a small wet bag inside of it for anything I don't want getting wet.  

On 6/22/2022 at 9:15 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Gotta tell the truth:  quite functional (and I love that part), but so, so ugly.  

If you want something similar that doesn't look like it's being worn on the wrong body part, consider a Healthy Back Bag -- it really does feel like nothing on your back.  They come in small, medium and large, leather, ripstop nylon and print fabrics.  They're very well designed with multiple pockets -- even one for your sunglasses.  You can kinda "slide it around" and reach the large zippered pocket without removing it.  

Mine's navy blue, and my husband doesn't mind sharing it because it doesn't look like a purse.  

Here's one on Amazon -- you can find oodles more:  https://www.amazon.com/AmeriBag-Small-Distressed-Nylon-Healthy/dp/B084MCTDD6/ref=asc_df_B001CE4CMA/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312070254239&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14311436044652563645&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009900&hvtargid=pla-337396497022&ref=&adgrpid=63781058562&th=1  

Screenshot 2022-06-22 11.14.03 AM.png

I have a black one & a grey one. We share ours