Diamond traveling with a newbie friend, access to diamond lounge?

10 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I wonder if some of the responses would be different if account linking was stopped?  

Maybe.  But spouse matching status is totally different than giving access to any friend every time they travel with you.  And this is consistent with how may businesses handle status/membership.  Not all, but many.  

Also spouse matching would be more of a temporary patch because it is obviously viewed as a longterm/permanent relationship.  So the spouse would reach diamond status soon enough on their own points anyhow and it would be bad business to tell someone they can’t bring their

spouse.  A friend is just a totally different scenario.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I wonder if some of the responses would be different if account linking was stopped?  

5 minutes ago, topnole said:

Maybe.  But spouse matching status is totally different than giving access to any friend every time they travel with you.  And this is consistent with how may businesses handle status/membership.  Not all, but many.  

Also spouse matching would be more of a temporary patch because it is obviously viewed as a longterm/permanent relationship.  So the spouse would reach diamond status soon enough on their own points anyhow and it would be bad business to tell someone they can’t bring their

spouse.  A friend is just a totally different scenario.  

Non spouse linking was created for same sex couples who could not get married.   A terrific idea on the part of RCCL.  The account linking is an example of a great program that is abused.   Now many with any status simply link their roommates/friends/ non spouse family  as a "Couple" to get  the status.  And we wonder why the program is a mess. 

M

For me, the "coffee" is not good at all. I usually stop in and say hi to the hall monitor, make a little small talk, and move on. Love, love, love the voucher system. It's usually pretty easy to find conversation onboard, no DL required. 

• Like 1

I see nothing wrong with being linked thru marriage or even shacking up. But, if divorced or no longer shacking up then they need to be unlinked. Individual tier levels are then based only on their actual C&A cruise points. Same with kids once they turn 18. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, island lady said:

The reason is simple.  Crowding in the DL has just become unreal.  The vouchers were designed to help with that problem, and it is helping...but it's still nuts in that lounge. Trying to find a seat is hard enough with members alone.  Plus D+ is now kicked back to the DL...and lately...Pinnacles.  Try stuffing 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag.  😉 😮 

DL is for Diamonds and above...only.  

I believe you may have been on the Odyssey recently? I think I was on the same sailing with my husband who is diamond. When we went into the DL there were only 3 other couples there. It was the same for the other 3 cruises I’ve been on since sailing resumed. Perhaps I was the time of day that we went but we never saw it crowded. Now that sailing capacity is creeping up that may change. But, like most people, I love the voucher program as well and since has been made very clear to me that my friend will not have access, we will be very happy elsewhere 

15 hours ago, joetop2467 said:

We are just off the Symphony of the Seas. Our party was 4 in two rooms.  Three were Diamond, fourth was not.  We went there every night and she went with us. No one ever asked.  

I was on that cruise as well and went in 1x.  I thought my Grandeur Diamond concierge was much friendlier.  Although my husband was wearing cargo shorts and a T shirt and it was the "formal" night so that may have had something to do with it.  😁 Regardless, personally, Id take my friends elsewhere on a ship especially if its their 1st time.  They wouldn't even know what they were missing if they didn't get in.  

Just now, dleahy4444 said:

I believe you may have been on the Odyssey recently? I think I was on the same sailing with my husband who is diamond. When we went into the DL there were only 3 other couples there. It was the same for the other 3 cruises I’ve been on since sailing resumed. Perhaps I was the time of day that we went but we never saw it crowded. Now that sailing capacity is creeping up that may change. But, like most people, I love the voucher program as well and since has been made very clear to me that my friend will not have access, we will be very happy elsewhere 

Yes, last month on Odyssey...B2B. 

We were next door in the corded off section of Music Hall (Pinnacle event).  Had a good view of the extremely crowded DL through the glass doors (and we did try to use it one night, but gave up).  

We had early dining every night at 5:30 in CK.. so our HH was 5-5:30.  From 5-5:30 is usually the busiest time in any of the keyed lounges... with popular traditional early seating at 5:30 or 6pm on most ships in the MDR.  

18 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Thank you all for your responses. I knew about the diamond vouchers, but I still like to go into the DL every once in a while to relax. I usually travel with the hubby who is diamond also, so I wasn’t sure how it works otherwise. 

Plenty of places to relax on the ship....no need for the Diamond lounge......reserved only for those that earned it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yes, last month on Odyssey...B2B. 

We were next door in the corded off section of Music Hall (Pinnacle event).  Had a good view of the extremely crowded DL through the glass doors (and we did try to use it one night, but gave up).  

We had early dining every night at 5:30 in CK.. so our HH was 5-5:30.  From 5-5:30 is usually the busiest time in any of the keyed lounges... with popular traditional early seating at 5:30 or 6pm on most ships in the MDR.  

We had dinner at 8, so we were there around  7:15- 7:30.It was not busy at all. You didn’t miss anything. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, joetop2467 said:

We are just off the Symphony of the Seas. Our party was 4 in two rooms.  Three were Diamond, fourth was not.  We went there every night and she went with us. No one ever asked.  

What you did was wrong and took away space and service from a guest who paid and earned that privilege.   Your friends was not entitled to be there, but just took advantage, every night.     No wonder the lounges  are crowded.  

All of the correspondence states that the lounge is for those who earned the privilege and not for guests

No one ever asked?  Did you ask to bring in a guest? 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I was on that cruise as well and went in 1x.  I thought my Grandeur Diamond concierge was much friendlier.  Although my husband was wearing cargo shorts and a T shirt and it was the "formal" night so that may have had something to do with it.  😁 Regardless, personally, Id take my friends elsewhere on a ship especially if its their 1st time.  They wouldn't even know what they were missing if they didn't get in.  

Since it is her first time I am going to take her everywhere for sure.. just not the DL, lol. Frankly as been pointed out many times, it really doesn’t offer anything that can’t be gotten elsewhere. I thought It might have been nice for her to experience and maybe meet new people, but we can do that anywhere. Not being allowed into the DL is certainly not going to ruin our trip. It was just a thought, I didn’t know how it would work so I asked on this board. Didn’t know it would spur 3 pages of comments lol! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Plenty of places to relax on the ship....no need for the Diamond lounge......reserved only for those that earned it.

I was refused entry to the DL on Oasis in October due to crowding almost nightly.  I wonder how many people in the lounge were admitted due to their linked status?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

I was refused entry to the DL on Oasis in October due to crowding almost nightly.  I wonder how many people in the lounge were admitted due to their linked status?

Or brought friends in. 

M

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Since it is her first time I am going to take her everywhere for sure.. just not the DL, lol. Frankly as been pointed out many times, it really doesn’t offer anything that can’t be gotten elsewhere. I thought It might have been nice for her to experience and maybe meet new people, but we can do that anywhere. Not being allowed into the DL is certainly not going to ruin our trip. It was just a thought, I didn’t know how it would work so I asked on this board. Didn’t know it would spur 3 pages of comments lol! 

I'm sure you will have a good trip.  And likely there will be times that  you are not together  24/7 .  Maybe you will have a chance  to pop in the lounge  for a few minutes.

Enjoy

M  

• Thanks 1

I get the concept of linking for future loyalty, but it isn't really fair to the people that actually earned the status.

As mentioned before, spouse linking makes sense, but not really sure about kid matching.  But kid matching should be based on the last cruise they actually took prior to turning 18.  For example, a kid goes on their last cruise at 12 when their parents are Platinum.  At 18 their parents are now D+.  The kid's status should remain at Platinum. 

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Non spouse linking was created for same sex couples who could not get married.   A terrific idea on the part of RCCL.  The account linking is an example of a great program that is abused.   Now many with any status simply link their roommates/friends/ non spouse family  as a "Couple" to get  the status.  And we wonder why the program is a mess. 

M

I doubt they allow a person to just change it cruise to cruise.  So once you add a friend or partner or whatever, any other change is likely going to be scrutinized more carefully.  So abuse happens, but I’m sure not as much by officially adding a significant other.   Probably more just by sneaking in and borrowing cards.  I really don’t care that much either way.  It’s their rules so I just try to enjoy the benefits they give.  There are bars and lounges all over the ship and a person can find plenty of spaces to relax or meet others.  

8 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

It was just a thought, I didn’t know how it would work so I asked on this board. Didn’t know it would spur 3 pages of comments lol! 

It's funny how ANY "Hey, I've got a question...can I do this???" post on here turns into a long thread of "HOW DARE YOU!!!" responses.

• Haha 4

Just now, topnole said:

Australian rules football and now Australian rules diamond status?   

The only way I could link someone to my account was by Molly and I tried the usual methods many times.

Then they go rid of Molly