Into the Midnight Sun

2cruisecats

2 hours ago, janetcbl said:

Nordkapp to Kirkenes, the  town closest to the Russian border is over 500 km .driving. Don’t think it is a problem.

I don't think it's a problem either.  Didn't mean to put very close either.  However Viking dropped Tallinn, Estonia and Helsinki, Finland from cruise itineraries.  They share the waters of the Gulf of Finland with St.Petersburg, Russia.  The Barents Sea is Russia's only open water access to the Norwegian Sea or the Atlantic Ocean.   So who knows what may come.

On 4/23/2022 at 9:10 PM, PBodek said:

I haven't heard anything from Viking.  Did you book directly with them?  You are talking about the 6/11 cruise, correct?

Yes, the 6/11 cruise.  I emailed tellus@vikingcruises.com and got a call back about 36 hours later.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just received an email from Viking that says the tours for the July 15 cruise will not be posted on May 9, as promised.  The excuse is the same - They are still making arrangements.  We will try to be patient.

Ella

Las Vegas

1 hour ago, ekp said:

Just received an email from Viking that says the tours for the July 15 cruise will not be posted on May 9, as promised.  The excuse is the same - They are still making arrangements.  We will try to be patient.

Ella

Las Vegas

The funny part is MVJ had an alert at one point for July 15 saying excursions were now available and of course there was nothing as you noted.

6/11 cruise.  One tour we wanted was sold out.   We are hoping they are able to add extra or someone cancels.  Two other tours we had picked out for 2020 and 2021 before getting cancelled are no longer offered.  All-in-all we got what we wanted and still have a chance to get the one tour we were too late for.

8 hours ago, Flyer55 said:

6/11 cruise.  One tour we wanted was sold out.   We are hoping they are able to add extra or someone cancels.  Two other tours we had picked out for 2020 and 2021 before getting cancelled are no longer offered.  All-in-all we got what we wanted and still have a chance to get the one tour we were too late for.

We found the selections minimal in some of the ports.  Do they remove it if it's sold out?  Disappointed in what they are offering for the Scotland ports.

19 minutes ago, PBodek said:

We found the selections minimal in some of the ports.  Do they remove it if it's sold out?  Disappointed in what they are offering for the Scotland ports.

It just says sold out

1 hour ago, PBodek said:

They don't remove "SOLD OUT" because often times people cancel out later after the initial rush to book (much like the dinner reservations) - so keep checking.   Also, sometimes they are able to add additional slots particularly on walking tours that don't require an extra bus.

Was very disappointed in Edinburgh as well - they lumped the Royal Britannia Yacht into a full Edinburgh city tour with a lunch and very expensive.  So just researched and we'll do our tour of Royal Britannia Yacht at much less cost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

They don't remove "SOLD OUT" because often times people cancel out later after the initial rush to book (much like the dinner reservations) - so keep checking.   Also, sometimes they are able to add additional slots particularly on walking tours that don't require an extra bus.

Was very disappointed in Edinburgh as well - they lumped the Royal Britannia Yacht into a full Edinburgh city tour with a lunch and very expensive.  So just researched and we'll do our tour of Royal Britannia Yacht at much less cost.

Royal Yacht is a great choice and so easy to visit from Newhaven.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Royal Yacht is a great choice and so easy to visit from Newhaven.

I echo Andy on this - and the smoked salmon sandwiches in the adjacent restaurant are completely worth the "tourist" price!  🍺🥌

IMG_0129.jpg

• Like 3

June 11, 2022 Sailing

ORKNEY NEOLITHIC TASTER Private Tour (June 20) - We have booked a private tour of the neolithic sites in Orkney, through Tours By Locals. Pickup is at 2:00 pm and dropoff is 6:00 pm. We are looking to share the trip with another couple. Your share of the price would be $300 CDN or $231 US.

Brief description of itinerary:

• Scenic route to Standing Stones of Stenness, the remains of the oldest stone circle in Britain.
  • Short visit to the Ring of Brodgar
  • Arranged visit to Skara Brae the remains of a stone age village
  • Lots to see en route with requested stops.

10 hours ago, CdnTrvlr said:

June 11, 2022 Sailing

ORKNEY NEOLITHIC TASTER Private Tour (June 20) - We have booked a private tour of the neolithic sites in Orkney, through Tours By Locals. Pickup is at 2:00 pm and dropoff is 6:00 pm. We are looking to share the trip with another couple. Your share of the price would be $300 CDN or $231 US.

Brief description of itinerary:

• Scenic route to Standing Stones of Stenness, the remains of the oldest stone circle in Britain.
  • Short visit to the Ring of Brodgar
  • Arranged visit to Skara Brae the remains of a stone age village
  • Lots to see en route with requested stops.

Might be interested. Need to check with my husband.

Cindy

We did a tours by locals in Edinburg with Toby B and he was wonderful.  His vehicle was also very comfortable.  Visited a falconry and got to see and handle the birds of prey. 

We also went independent in Orkney through a cab company but with a day rate.  The Stones and Ring were incredible, not to be missed . We were in and out before the big busses came.  Leave time to visit St. Magnus in the city, a wonderful example of a cathedral built in the 1300’s.  It is a short downhill walk to the port (we were tendered) . It was cobblestones and a bit uneven so take note.  Bought the most beautiful Shetland scarf from a street vendor.  

2 hours ago, gradydude said:

We did a tours by locals in Edinburg with Toby B and he was wonderful.  His vehicle was also very comfortable.  Visited a falconry and got to see and handle the birds of prey. 

We also went independent in Orkney through a cab company but with a day rate.  The Stones and Ring were incredible, not to be missed . We were in and out before the big busses came.  Leave time to visit St. Magnus in the city, a wonderful example of a cathedral built in the 1300’s.  It is a short downhill walk to the port (we were tendered) . It was cobblestones and a bit uneven so take note.  Bought the most beautiful Shetland scarf from a street vendor.  

Did you find the Cab when you arrived in Orkney?  We were unable to get the one Viking tour we wanted on Orkney and the Tours by Locals folks were already booked.  We were wondering if we would find a Cab there.  How long did your Cab drive you around?  We had hoped to see the Churchill barriers, but it may not be meant to be on this trip.  I am a sucker for scarves, so I will be on the lookout for your vendor!  Hope you had a great trip.

We booked it ahead of time.  I think it was “See Orkney”.  This was pre COVID so who knows if they are still in business.    The driver met us at the pier.  It was a 1/2 day tour.  The pricing was competitive,, meaning I don’t think it was too expensive or else we wouldn’t have done it,.  The driver was entertaining and gave us each a rounded stone with Orkney on it for a souvenir.  We did see the Churchill barriers, and the Italian Chapel as well as the Stones. I loved Orkney.  St Magnus was awesome and not crowded like some cathedrals.  

1 hour ago, gradydude said:

We booked it ahead of time.  I think it was “See Orkney”.  This was pre COVID so who knows if they are still in business.    The driver met us at the pier.  It was a 1/2 day tour.  The pricing was competitive,, meaning I don’t think it was too expensive or else we wouldn’t have done it,.  The driver was entertaining and gave us each a rounded stone with Orkney on it for a souvenir.  We did see the Churchill barriers, and the Italian Chapel as well as the Stones. I loved Orkney.  St Magnus was awesome and not crowded like some cathedrals.  

Thank you...I will see if they are available.

23 hours ago, Cubs Fan said:

Thank you...I will see if they are available.

It appears that all of the private tours on Orkney are spoken for.  I reached out to 2 taxi services and am awaiting a reply

On 5/24/2022 at 5:22 PM, Cubs Fan said:

It appears that all of the private tours on Orkney are spoken for.  I reached out to 2 taxi services and am awaiting a reply

Regarding Kirkwall/ Orkney. The port provides a shuttle to what the call the iCenter. I copied this information from their website

Kirkwall center is an open and inviting iCentre, providing information and inspiration to both visitors and locals. Bus, ferry and rail timetables are available within the centre and Citylink, Caledonian MacBrayne and John O'Groats tour tickets are available for sale, as are Historic Scotland Orkney Explorer Passes. Local experts with a wide range of knowledge on the local area and beyond are able to advise you on how to get the best experience of Orkney.