Ideal time to board in NOLA

bigrednole

NOLA is a little bit different than other ports like Port Everglades, Port of Miami, Port Canaveral. There is a lot to do in NOLA very close to the cruise ports. We get in about 6PM the night before. We could rush to get on as early as possible or we could plan something around 1PM to enjoy more of NOLA. However, we have to be out of our room by 10AM and have to check to see if the hotel will hold luggage. If not, then no exploring in the morning and just plan for earliest arrival.

What do others do?

23 hours ago, bigrednole said:

However, we have to be out of our room by 10AM and have to check to see if the hotel will hold luggage.

You could always ask for a late checkout-- there's a decent chance they will do that or may charge a small fee for a noon or 1pm checkout. Worth asking. 10am seems early-- most checkout times are around 11-12pm. 

Also most hotels that have a bell staff will store luggage for departing guests. Even some non full service hotels will offer some sort of storage. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A word of advice.  We were on the Breakaway cruise departing 6 March.  This was the worst boarding process we've ever encountered.  We were assigned an arrival time of 1100 to 1130.  We arrived at the terminal at 1115.  We spent over an hour waiting in line.  There were three check points and each check point wanted to see the boarding pass, identification, vaccination, and covid test.  There were only one or two people reviewing this documents.  While I recognize the importance of checking this information, why three times.  And, this was before arriving at the actual check in counter where you received the ship card.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

A word of advice.  We were on the Breakaway cruise departing 6 March.  This was the worst boarding process we've ever encountered.  We were assigned an arrival time of 1100 to 1130.  We arrived at the terminal at 1115.  We spent over an hour waiting in line.  There were three check points and each check point wanted to see the boarding pass, identification, vaccination, and covid test.  There were only one or two people reviewing this documents.  While I recognize the importance of checking this information, why three times.  And, this was before arriving at the actual check in counter where you received the ship card.  

Someone in our cruise group mentioned a similar story. They said NOLA is different than other ports. They said early check-in will keep you out of waiting in insane lines, but still wait to board. Or, arrive later and spend all that time standing in line after line, then board. They said either way you are waiting about 90 minutes so decide if you want to do it in a crowd standing or sitting.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Late checkout could buy you a little time.

I have arrived at New Orleans hotels many times before check-in and their bellmen have a place to store luggage. Maybe they would be willing to hold onto it after checkout for a tip. 

The other option is getting it to a porter at the port. The river walk mall is right there. Walk through the mall you’re at a streetcar stop by the Hilton riverside. Take that to the French quarter. Or of course you could take a cab/Uber/Lyft from the port.

Hi!

A number of my last cruises been out of New Orleans.  Mainly because it's an easy to for me to drive or catch the train.

I prefer to check in right at one or little afterwards.  That way when I get there, less traffic and often once you enter, just walking and not stopping until on the boat.

Like someone else mentioned, I would leave my luggage with the valet/ bell hop.  Give them couple dollars and enjoy another stroll or coffee at a cafe before boarding.

• 1 year later...