Changed Baltic Itineraries

mhb1757

We are booked on the 6/2 Russia and the Baltic. Viking has notified us that the cruise will happen but we will not be doing St Petersburg in 2022 (understandably). SPB was 3 full days of a 10 day cruise. So far no word on an alternate itinerary. SPB was the primary reason we booked this cruise so I’m thinking we might want to cancel and rebook something else. I guess I’m asking if anyone has a clue when they will let us know where they are taking us. 
Also has anyone canceled a Baltic cruise for this year?  Did Viking give you FCC? 

We were booked onto the Star for Russia and the Baltic the week before you. We were forced to change it  (for the third time) just a few weeks ago, as this time it coincided with the gifted Chairman's cruise which had just been announced. We moved it to June 2023 which was in fact less expensive than doing it this year so we had money left over for the kitty.

St P was definitely on our wish list and certainly one of the main reasons we chose that cruise. We're seriously into galleries, art, museums etc and it is a treasure pot. I wonder whether we'll ever see it now. It's a desperate situation in Ukraine and one that won't be resolved any time soon.

I love Scandanavia and will probably be happy to enjoy it's many great cities in greater depth. We'd added on extensions at either end in Stockholm and Copenhagen which I've also done for 2023. No doubt we'll hear soon what the change of itinerary will be. I very much doubt the original route will be restored any time soon.

I think you and I were on the same roll call for Russia and the Baltic a couple of years ago.

• Thanks 1

The situation is tragic in so many ways. My heart goes out to the Ukranian people, the Russian people who are being so misled, and all who will be affected by the ripple effect of this horror.

From the travel perspective, Viking is not the only line needing to reschedule those cruises, so patience will be needed. Alternate itineraries will take some time to determine. Our last cruise before the onset of Covis was Russia and the Baltic Seas. It was a wonderful experience. 

Edited by lackcreativity

I chatted to you before I booked our trip lackcreativity. You very kindly gave me some hot tips which I keep in a file. I remember your enthusiasm.

My heart breaks for these poor souls in the Ukraine and also for those desperate subjugated Russians who would do anything to rid themselves of that man as Russia is returned into a full-on Stalinist state. 

• Like 2

On 3/9/2022 at 4:28 PM, mhb1757 said:

We are booked on the 6/2 Russia and the Baltic. Viking has notified us that the cruise will happen but we will not be doing St Petersburg in 2022 (understandably). SPB was 3 full days of a 10 day cruise. So far no word on an alternate itinerary. SPB was the primary reason we booked this cruise so I’m thinking we might want to cancel and rebook something else. I guess I’m asking if anyone has a clue when they will let us know where they are taking us. 
Also has anyone canceled a Baltic cruise for this year?  Did Viking give you FCC? 

We had a Baltic Cruise scheduled for August on Regent and we canceled the cruise and re-booked it for next year in the hopes we can see St. Petersburg. Regent has not yet announced the replacement ports for the three days we were to be in Russia. If the situation remains as is today, we will just accept whatever ports they go to and get it done. St. Petersburg is the crown jewel of the Baltic ports. OUr payment date was not until May so all we did was re-book for next year.

On 3/9/2022 at 5:28 PM, mhb1757 said:

We cancelled our Russia and Baltic cruise for May 2023.  Even if St. Petersburg is open for tourists next year, I don't want to go to Russia anymore..  When cancelling, we rebooked a completely different itinerary with no fees from Viking or our TA.  After writing this I realize it does not answer your question about an FCC and cancelling in 2022.  Sorry.

2 hours ago, jmfdr said:

I don't want to go to Russia anymore.

Understandable, at least at the present time. A significant % of Russian people, however, don't even want this war. SPB is well worth seeing. The Ukraine situation is reportedly (based on some surveys at any rate) affecting peoples' decisions to travel in Europe. 

4 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Understandable, at least at the present time. A significant % of Russian people, however, don't even want this war. SPB is well worth seeing. The Ukraine situation is reportedly (based on some surveys at any rate) affecting peoples' decisions to travel in Europe. 

Actually we have been to St. Petersburg and other parts of Russia---but quite a few years ago.  We were looking forward to returning to SPB.