ARRIVCAN Question

loving goldens

17 minutes ago, #55worktoplay said:

I know you mentioned you updated the ArriveCan app in previous post, how do you do that?  I’m thinking things should change on the app at midnight tonight. Thoughts?

TIA

I agree, the new update should be released tonight. I simply go to the App Store to download any updates to my iPhone, and Android users can go to Google Play.

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I agree, the new update should be released tonight. I simply go to the App Store to download any updates to my iPhone, and Android users can go to Google Play.

Great thanks. So would there be an indication of available update?  I just looked and there doesn’t seem to be anything stating update available but maybe I’m looking in the wrong place. I will do what you do on my iPhone. I thought I looked 

13 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

When you download any updates there are available, does that affect what you have already imput into the app? 

Thanks for your expert answers to all the questions here.  I am learning so much :)

1 hour ago, ehogan said:

This (from the GOC website) is confusing to me:

“You'll need to submit your information within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

If travelling by marine vessel

If you're travelling by marine vessel, you must use ArriveCAN before orupon entering Canada; this is to accommodate for Wi-Fi issues on the water.”

Does this mean that on returning to Canada from a cruise I submit my information while on land at our last U.S. port or after we disembark the cruise in Canada but not while on the ship? 

And what about those who do not have WiFi capabilities.

My interpretation is that this simply gives those arriving by marine vessel the option of waiting until arriving in port to submit their information. Whether you do so at your last US port is up to you, assuming it's within 72 hours of your arrival in Canada. Alternatively, you could wait until you get cell coverage when approaching your port of disembarkation if you don't have wifi access onboard.. 

1 hour ago, ehogan said:

This (from the GOC website) is confusing to me:

“You'll need to submit your information within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

If travelling by marine vessel

If you're travelling by marine vessel, you must use ArriveCAN before orupon entering Canada; this is to accommodate for Wi-Fi issues on the water.”

Does this mean that on returning to Canada from a cruise I submit my information while on land at our last U.S. port or after we disembark the cruise in Canada but not while on the ship? 

And what about those who do not have WiFi capabilities.

Based on the wording, ArriveCan may be completed anytime up to and including docking in Canada.

One does not need WiFi, any internet connection should work. If nothing is publically available on ship, guest services may have a solution. Failing that a public library at the previous port might have workstations available.

15 minutes ago, #55worktoplay said:

Great thanks. So would there be an indication of available update?  I just looked and there doesn’t seem to be anything stating update available but maybe I’m looking in the wrong place. I will do what you do on my iPhone. I thought I looked 

If you go to the App Store, search on ArriveCAN. You'll see the app in the the results of your search, with the ArriveCAN logo. Tap on the logo to open the details page but do not tap on the "OPEN" button on the right side of the page. On the details page, Under What's New, you'll see the Version Number, currently 2.26.9. Hopefully a new number will appear overnight, assuming there is an update.

Tap the < Search button at the top left to go back to the search results. Now you should tap on the "OPEN" button. That will take you to the app. Sign in if necessary, then go to Settings. On the Settings page, scroll down to the very bottom and you'll find the version number. In my case, it is also 2.26.9., indicating that I have the most current version.

5 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

When you download any updates there are available, does that affect what you have already imput into the app? 

Thanks for your expert answers to all the questions here.  I am learning so much 🙂

So far, it appears that any profile information entered for travellers is retained, so there's no need to reenter/upload vaccination, passport and similar information. Information related to an upcoming trip survived updates in the early going but more recent updates have seen the information scrubbed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

If you go to the App Store, search on ArriveCAN. You'll see the app in the the results of your search, with the ArriveCAN logo. Tap on the logo to open the details page but do not tap on the "OPEN" button on the right side of the page. On the details page, Under What's New, you'll see the Version Number, currently 2.26.9. Hopefully a new number will appear overnight, assuming there is an update.

Tap the < Search button at the top left to go back to the search results. Now you should tap on the "OPEN" button. That will take you to the app. Sign in if necessary, then go to Settings. On the Settings page, scroll down to the very bottom and you'll find the version number. In my case, it is also 2.26.9., indicating that I have the most current version.

So far, it appears that any profile information entered for travellers is retained, so there's no need to reenter/upload vaccination, passport and similar information. Information related to an upcoming trip survived updates in the early going but more recent updates have seen the information scrubbed.

You are a great wealth of info. I found the version and I have the same as you. 

Im driving over tomorrow at 7:00 am so I hope the app changes. 

Thanks Again

Edited by #55worktoplay
  • Like 1

I just updated to version 2.27.2

What’s New

Version History
Apr 1, 2022 

Version 2.27.2

- Marine travellers are now required to enter their Date and Time of Embarkation from their country of origin, which must be done no earlier than 72 hours prior to departure

- Marine travellers are able to make ArriveCAN submissions 30 days prior to arrival

- Removal of testing information and questions for fully vaccinated travellers

EDIT to note that this was on the U.S. App Store.

Edited by bigAWL

It is 9:20 am in England (4:20 am in Toronto) and the app has still not been updated.  I am on my way to the airport and had to answer questions based on old data.  I got the warning that says we are subject to fines for not having a negative covid test.  AC says it’s not required so we have our boarding passes.  It is what it is.

This is also some different language updated today differentiating those arriving by cruise ship from those arriving on other marine vessels.  The "and/or" language is a little ambiguous to me.  But I think they want ArriveCAN data entered before boarding any cruise ship that will disembark in Canada at the end.  It certainly suggests you should have entered it before disembarking.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

image.thumb.png.b4cda2e00189b9a2d467387c37e828fd.png

One thing I discovered for the first time today is that you can enter and submit your information on either the webpage version of ArriveCAN or on the mobile app, but you must use the same platform to start and finish a submission. You can not use your computer to load all of your information and later use the app on your cell phone to submit it.

This may not be news for others, but this fact escaped me until today.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

One thing I discovered for the first time today is that you can enter and submit your information on either the webpage version of ArriveCAN or on the mobile app, but you must use the same platform to start and finish a submission. You can not use your computer to load all of your information and later use the app on your cell phone to submit it.

This may not be news for others, but this fact escaped me until today.

Thanks for pointing that out. It's not obvious since traveller information is shared between online and apps.

I wonder if trip information is tied to the device used. In other words, if one traveller submitted the trip data, would another in the same party be able to access it on their phone. If that is the case it may make sense to always use the browser version so that any web connected device can access the data. (Sorry for the digression, I tend to think in terms of failsafe.)

Here is a question I can't find an answer to:

Canadians, boarding in Vancouver, R/T Alaska.

We are booked for 4 consecutive 7 day Alaska cruises (B-B-B-B), disembarking in Vancouver after 28 days on board.

So.....will we have to imput the ArriveCan arrival info for each of the 4 arrivals in Vancouver or for just the one arrival at the end of the 28 days when we disembark and go home?

Edited by SilvertoGold

29 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Here is a question I can't find an answer to:

Canadians, boarding in Vancouver, R/T Alaska.

We are booked for 4 consecutive 7 day Alaska cruises (B-B-B-B), disembarking in Vancouver after 28 days on board.

So.....will we have to imput the ArriveCan arrival info for each of the 4 arrivals in Vancouver or for just the one arrival at the end of the 28 days when we disembark and go home?

After the first one the rest will be a piece of cake. 🙂

Yes, depending on itinerary. It's required whenever one enters Canada. You may also need a negative COVID test.

Edited by broberts

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Thanks for pointing that out. It's not obvious since traveller information is shared between online and apps.

I wonder if trip information is tied to the device used. In other words, if one traveller submitted the trip data, would another in the same party be able to access it on their phone. If that is the case it may make sense to always use the browser version so that any web connected device can access the data. (Sorry for the digression, I tend to think in terms of failsafe.)

That would appear to be the case. When ArriveCAN first came out, I had downloaded it to both my iPad and iPhone to experiment using both, including inputting all the details of a trip that was subsequently cancelled. While I kept the iPad app up to date with each revision, including today's, I hadn't opened the iPad app since the early days.

After reading your post, I grabbed my iPad and found that the old trip information was there, although my iPhone only had my most recent trip information. Consequently, my conclusion is that the trip data is stored on the device.

Personal data were the same, but I believe that I had entered them that way on both devices, not because they were synced.

So someone wanting to access all of my trip and personal information would need to use my device. Using my email and password would give them app access but a blank slate.

While always using a browser would certainly be one failsafe approach, another would be to duplicate the information on two mobile devices. While that isn't 100% failsafe, as both devices could be lost or stop functioning at the same time, I'd be happy with that level of assurance. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

After the first one the rest will be a piece of cake. 🙂

Yes, depending on itinerary. It's required whenever one enters Canada. You may also need a negative COVID test.

I'd just add that the trip information will be identical in each case, other than the dates, so it should only take a minute to update and submit your information.

I’ve had a lot of trouble with the arrive can app.  When I try to do it with ship wifi it says I have no internet access. I was able to do it once docked while on the ship and data turned on.  In March I was trying to do it outside at the port.  Again it told me I had no internet.  I turned my wifi off in case there was interference.  I was using data and getting texts and emails and it still said I had no internet.  I finally got it to work at the airport.  The app is constantly signing me out as well.  I don’t know why I have so many problems.

10 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’ve had a lot of trouble with the arrive can app.  When I try to do it with ship wifi it says I have no internet access. I was able to do it once docked while on the ship and data turned on.  In March I was trying to do it outside at the port.  Again it told me I had no internet.  I turned my wifi off in case there was interference.  I was using data and getting texts and emails and it still said I had no internet.  I finally got it to work at the airport.  The app is constantly signing me out as well.  I don’t know why I have so many problems.

Did you try using your browser to access the online version on the ship rather than the app?

Anyone know why the app still makes you sign an agreement to get tested before boarding your flight?

how incompetent can the government be for crying out loud! 

Edited by Clovis8
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Clovis8 said:

Anyone know why the app still makes you sign an agreement to get tested before boarding your flight?

how incompetent can the government be for crying out loud! 

I would have thought that section would have been removed.  I answered No to it and it told me I was subject to a fine for not getting one.  Nothing happened.  We showed the receipt to the lady who was going through the line at check-in (a 2.5 hour line to check in at Heathrow!!!).  She checked passports, vaccination documents, and ArriveCAN receipts, and gave everyone a piece of paper showing we had passed.  I think they were trying to speed up the process.  Next step was the actual check-in person and bag drop, then business as usual when we landed at YYZ.  No random testing either, thank god.