Back at it! Trying Keto this time....

INeedAMaiTai

Ugh, doesn't everyone hate that "have to lose weight" feeling before a trip.  I always aim to lose like 20 lbs knowing I'm going to gain a ton back while on the ship (I try to do well, but I also don't limit myself because...well...life is too short).  I've decided to go keto this time, I'm on week three.  I can't really tell if I have lost much; I got rid of my scale when I moved last September and have chosen to not obsess about it since.

Anyone have any tips, or tricks, or great food ideas that have worked for them?

• 4 months later...
On 3/11/2022 at 11:30 AM, INeedAMaiTai said:

Join DietDoctor's website. Lots on there is free, too, but I decided to support his work with a membership. There are other food bloggers who post low-carb or keto recipes. Try some! Plain meat and lo-carb veggies can get boring, so even if you're not big on cooking, look some recipes over and pick ones that aren't more complicated than your ambition. 

I love a five-ingredient recipe!

Are you still eating low-carb? How has it gone? I don't weigh myself either. Have been avoiding carbs since 2012. My weight has not changed in all that time (!), but I no longer have gum disease, migraines, or fights with my husband!

We eat cheato-keto mostly. Like cottage cheese, Greek yoghurt, some legumes. Biggest tip is do not bring carbie stuff in the house!

Edited by crystalspin

On 3/11/2022 at 11:30 AM, INeedAMaiTai said:

Two food-bloggers I follow are Wholesome Yum (Maya) and I Breathe I'm Hungry (Melissa). I also follow Suzy@The Mediterranean Dish who isn't specifically low-carb but lots of ideas that only need tweaks like using cauliflower rice instead of basmati. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I started Keto in early July but then had an accident and didn't have the energy to continue. I lost 5 lbs and didn't gain any back when I returned to Keto in late August. So, that makes a total of 13 lbs with a month in between. It works but takes either a lot of will power or the time and energy to great keto friendly great meals. I'm not a super strict adherent. Keto foods can be so expensive so it makes sense to get some easy Keto friendly recipes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My husband and I have been on a low-carb (not true keto) for over 4 years now. At our peak, his weight loss was 135lbs and mine was 55lbs. We've allowed occasional cheat meals in the last year, and been less physically active, so I'm up 5lbs (sitting at 135lbs as of this morning). Overall we're really happy with the low-carb way to get our weight down, but now we're mostly focusing on maintaining.

I will say that if you stick to low-carb for many months, you'll see consistent results which is super encouraging. We fast from 8pm to 1pm the next day, and have a lunch of cucumber, a pepperoni stick, a piece of cheese and a hard boiled egg. Dinner is a large serving of veggies (usually zucchini, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower or a salad) and meat. Having done this for so long, I've created all sorts of recipes that really work for us, and the selection of low-carb speciality items has increased so much (like keto bread, hot dog buns, tortilla wraps, etc). 

Having said all that, when you're deep into keto, your body doesn't retain water the same way it used to. A lot of your initial weight loss is just bloat. So if you plan to eat everything on your cruise, I would say to expect your weight to increase at least 10lbs in a week--and MOST of that will be bloat! 

From my experience, if I have a carb-binge but avoid sugar, my recovery is pretty quick and any weight gain is minimal. However, carb-binges that include sugar (such as donuts) are MUCH harder to recover from and the weight stubbornly holds on much longer. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did something that I heard a Youtuber refer to as "Lazy Keto," like I wasn't super strict and I still lost quite a bit of weight on it. My one tip was using a few treats as rewards a piece or 2 of VERY dark chocolate. I think what I bought was Lindt Special Dark and I think I also got one by Ghiridelli. I also got Philadelphia Strawberry Cheesecake Snacks, 2 ct Pack, 3.25 oz Cups it's got 19 g carbs and 16 g sugar but my body did ok if I had a few of these each week like 2 or 3 staggered (1 pack each time but I mean 2 or 3 nights per wk) when I felt the urge for a late night snack. My late night snacking is the hardest for me to kick. I know everyone is different, some people their cheats do derail them entirely but I look forward to treating myself so much that it keeps me going.

Edited by oyme
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

My husband and I started Keto about 2+ months ago due to I have gained so much weight after an accident I had 3 years ago that put me in a wheelchair for about 6 months and unable to walk normal again the last 3 years...so being lazy and unable to exercise.

So far we are LOVING it and learning so much about eating healthy and low carbs. The meals he makes are absolutely AMAZING and good. Plus there are PLENTY of Keto snacks available to buy and they taste good. I also make "fat bombs" that taste just like "Buckeyes" in wite no sugar chocolate and they are to die for!

So far I have lost 27.4 pounds and he's lost 26 pounds. I'm loving the energy I have and feeling full all of the time and never get "hangry" anymore. I don't think I'll ever go back to that eating sugar and carbs then crashing lifestyle.

• Like 1