AJ dock in Juneau

LMKakaThing2

How far is the AJ dock from the center of Juneau? Will be on NCL Jewel docking in Juneau on May 5th and noticed that even though we’re the only ship in port that day, we seem to be at the furthest dock. 

Have a private excursion that day which will pick us up from the ship, but we’ll be walking around Juneau afterwards. Is it walkable from the center of town or will we need to take a taxi? Mom had knee surgery last year and not sure if she’ll be able to walk back to the ship after a day in Juneau. 

On 3/13/2022 at 9:50 AM, Glaciers said:

Its 1 mile from the AJ dock to the tram. They do have shuttle buses that run back and forth all day from the ship to the tram area where many of the tours begin from.

Thank you! Luckily our tour operator has told us they will pick us up from our dock. I’m sure they won’t have a problem dropping us off in downtown on our way back. This trip will have the most walking my mom has done since her knee surgery and I’m sure after walking all afternoon downtown, a short bus ride back will be good for her. 

20 hours ago, LMKakaThing2 said:

Is it possible they could change where we dock when we arrive in Juneau? Just doesn’t make sense for us to be that far from downtown when we’re the only ship in port that day. 

Very unlikely.  There must be some arrangement between the Port and the cruise lines as to which ships use which docks.  

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 6:22 PM, LMKakaThing2 said:

Is it possible they could change where we dock when we arrive in Juneau? Just doesn’t make sense for us to be that far from downtown when we’re the only ship in port that day. 

Planned dock (pier) usage is contracted out months in advance -

Some ports had a detailed schedule of pier (dock) assignment that could be accessed -

At the present I am not finding one for Juneau for 2022 -

Perhaps one of the CC reader/posters may have one available -

Juneau has 5 piers

Skagway has 4

Ketchikan*** has 4 Plus 2 at Ward Cove

Icy Strait Point 2

Sitka 1

Depending on the size of the ship(s) may play a part in how much dock space is used

and result in some ships having to tender guests to shore points.

*** Ketchikan in the recent past had one pier disabled due to a ship accident causing 

quite a schedule conflict while repairs were made.

In review Juneau should have none of these problems with 5 docks available -

One the AJ dock is just not near the activity of the other 4.

16 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Planned dock (pier) usage is contracted out months in advance -

Some ports had a detailed schedule of pier (dock) assignment that could be accessed -

At the present I am not finding one for Juneau for 2022 -

Perhaps one of the CC reader/posters may have one available -

Juneau has 5 piers

Skagway has 4

Ketchikan*** has 4 Plus 2 at Ward Cove

Icy Strait Point 2

Sitka 1

Depending on the size of the ship(s) may play a part in how much dock space is used

and result in some ships having to tender guests to shore points.

*** Ketchikan in the recent past had one pier disabled due to a ship accident causing 

quite a schedule conflict while repairs were made.

In review Juneau should have none of these problems with 5 docks available -

One the AJ dock is just not near the activity of the other 4.

I’ve looked online for events and activities going on in Juneau for May 5th that would point to why we are docking at AJ dock but I haven’t found anything. Only thing I’ve found is the berth schedule for the ports and Juneau only has the NCL Jewel in port May 5th. The Jewel isn’t a mega ship so I’m not sure what the thinking was to have us a mile from downtown. 

4 hours ago, LMKakaThing2 said:

I’ve looked online for events and activities going on in Juneau for May 5th that would point to why we are docking at AJ dock but I haven’t found anything. Only thing I’ve found is the berth schedule for the ports and Juneau only has the NCL Jewel in port May 5th. The Jewel isn’t a mega ship so I’m not sure what the thinking was to have us a mile from downtown. 

There are many reasons a ship is assigned to a specific dock; draft, union contracts, dock conditions, etc,.  As stated prior, contracts specify which docks when.  These are negotiated and executed years in advance.

Not the same as pulling into  a vacant parking space.

Edited by Galveston Cruiser
  • Like 2

The tram (small shuttle bus) is easy to use; I think it’s right at the base of the Mt Roberts Tramway, right in downtown.

And it would not be an easy walk for someone recovering from knee surgery.

We docked there last year - also the only ship in port that day.