Back to back with same ports?

M5M

We've booked one 7 day cruise (September) that does New England coastline: Bar Harbor, Portland, Newport, Saint John, Halifax......and are considering booking another (different line) cruise for a B2B, doing almost the same ports.....Bar Harbor, Portland, Saint John, Halifax.....we are thinking that will give us more time to explore in each town, but then I'm wondering is there enough for two days sightseeing in those ports?  Of course, it's a subjective question, but I'd be interested in opinions and input! We are seniors, interested in scenery, nature, history.  We live in the south and want to make good use of the travel time to get to NE, also thinking we'll experience another ship e haven't done.  Thanks!

I think it sounds good!  Extra cruise days, the experience of two different lines, and a bit of "insurance" in case weather or other elements interfere with a day in one or more of the ports.

All those ports are interesting, and lend themselves to more than one visit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Magar said:

Bar Harbor, Portland, Newport, Saint John, Halifax......and are considering booking another (different line) cruise for a B2B, doing almost the same ports.....Bar Harbor, Portland, Saint John, Halifax.....

Newport and Portland are certainly large enough to do two days worth-- its a shame that the second cruise doesn't also include Newport-- with the mansions, cliff walk, and all the restaurants and bars that was the one that jumped out as being perfect for two days. 

Halifax has never bowled us over but there is enough to do to stretch it over two non consecutive port days. St John's I'd put into the same bucket as Halifax-- interesting in that its a capital city but not the same charm as Newport or even Portland. Bar Harbor you might be a bit pressed to find different things to do over 2 days due to how small it is. 

Don't forget you can also rent a car in the major cities and tour on your own if you have a USA drivers license.  Especially good at Portland, Halifax and Quebec (if that is included) or you could include it.

Two relaxing weeks on a cruise ship is better than one!

13 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Bar Harbor you might be a bit pressed to find different things to do over 2 days due to how small it is. 

But, it gives you two chances to get ashore there, as fog is prevalent for the fall cruises, and also fog can deter trips to Cadillac Mountain when you can't see the front of the bus from the back.

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2022 at 11:33 PM, princeton123211 said:

Halifax has never bowled us over but there is enough to do to stretch it over two non consecutive port days. St John's I'd put into the same bucket as Halifax-- interesting in that its a capital city but not the same charm as Newport or even Portland. Bar Harbor you might be a bit pressed to find different things to do over 2 days due to how small it is. 

I hate to be nitpicky, but Saint John, New Brunswick is not a Capital City.  Fredericton is the Capital of New Brunswick and it is about an hour or so drive from here.  Saint John, NB is, however, the oldest incorporated city in Canada. 

St. John's is a capital city, but it is in Newfoundland.  That abbreviated "St." and the apostrophe "s" mean something in this this neck of the woods.  Believe it or not I have heard lots of stories of people booking flights to the wrong city and excursions in the wrong city as well 🙂

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 11:49 AM, JessyCruises said:

I hate to be nitpicky, but Saint John, New Brunswick is not a Capital City.  Fredericton is the Capital of New Brunswick and it is about an hour or so drive from here.  Saint John, NB is, however, the oldest incorporated city in Canada. 

St. John's is a capital city, but it is in Newfoundland.  That abbreviated "St." and the apostrophe "s" mean something in this this neck of the woods.  Believe it or not I have heard lots of stories of people booking flights to the wrong city and excursions in the wrong city as well 🙂

At least with St John/John's it's relatively close.  It has happened a few times with Sydney Nova Scotia/Australia.