Luxury cruising for the not so well-to-do?

elycelynne

I was just curious as to how someone who is obviously not well-off (meaning me) would be regarded on a luxury cruise line (such as Regent, Silverseas or Seabourn)?  I'm neat and presentable (even though I'm way too "fluffy"), but any jewelry I have is costume, my clothes and accessories aren't designer (far from it) and I'm sure would be spotted as such by those in the know.  Would I be scorned by other passengers?  Am I overthinking this too much and would I just be wise to grab something if it looks too good to pass up?  I don't have any plans for the near future, but was wondering in general.

5 minutes ago, elycelynne said:

I was just curious as to how someone who is obviously not well-off (meaning me) would be regarded on a luxury cruise line (such as Regent, Silverseas or Seabourn)?  I'm neat and presentable (even though I'm way too "fluffy"), but any jewelry I have is costume, my clothes and accessories aren't designer (far from it) and I'm sure would be spotted as such by those in the know.  Would I be scorned by other passengers?  Am I overthinking this too much and would I just be wise to grab something if it looks too good to pass up?  I don't have any plans for the near future, but was wondering in general.

Go and have a great time! I had over 40 cruises with Crystal (RIP) and have never had one piece of "designer" clothes. I do wear some "real" jewelry as in 14K gold, but nothing flashy. I'll also promise you, you won't be the only "fluffy" person on the cruise. Trust me, the real passengers don't look anything like the models in the brochures!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, elycelynne said:

You’ve just described the appearance of most of the luxury cruisers I’ve encountered on Silversea and The World Ship.  You’ll certainly see some bling and designer togs but it’s more the exception.  Most smart people do not travel wearing their best jewelry and in fact costume jewelry is a good idea!

• Like 3

We’ve been on SIlversea, Crystal, and Seabourn and we don’t own any designer clothes or fancy jewelry and never felt out of place, certainly not scorned. Anyone who would scorn based on that has other issues and you probably wouldn’t like them anyway! 

• Like 5

I was concerned about our first Regent cruise thinking we might be out of place with a lack of designer clothes etc. Couldn't be farther from the truth. There is a wide range of people travelling on Regent and didn't experience or see anyone looking down their nose at others' attire.  The people we met and interacted with were wonderful and very interesting. 

• Like 3

All walks of life sail on luxury cruises. I am a nurse and my husband is an engineer. We have sailed on Crystal, Seabourn and Regent. Nobody cares about how much money you make. I find most people are just pinching themselves that they are lucky enough to to be on the ship. I do not see designer clothes at all. I rarely see tuxes and have by far seen more ball gown type dresses on mainstream cruises. It is black dress pants and shimmering tops for me on formal nights. Of course if you are dying to get all decked out, do so. Do not be intimated. Do try a luxury cruise. Quite frankly the over the top rich are probably not on a cruise ship but on their own yacht.

On 4/2/2022 at 7:25 PM, mtrancher said:

Overthinking!

You are who you are and people will judge you by your actions and interactions.

Totally agree. This especially pertains to your treatment of the  crew.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

People willing to show they are rich and wealthy  was notorious on Cunard  ,  I left Cunard in 1999 ( far too late ) and only did one 7 days Q Victoria a few years ago. 

Still some leftovers ...especially in Grill degree

On Crystal I met people staying in a PH with very poor old and worn clothes ...

So no problems about designers clothes  at all 

And people obviously with fancy watches and jewelry or clothes with visisble labels drinking the cheapest wines on the list on other companies 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, vistaman said:

On Crystal I met people staying in a PH with very poor old and worn clothes ...

Reminds me of an experience I had once on Crystal, was sitting with a man in the buffet (at that time called Lido) drinking coffee about 6 AM. He said his wife didn't like it when he told people the tee shirt he was wearing came from the dollar store. I told him that I might have to move tables as my tee shirt was $6 at Target! 😵😜😏

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

14 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Reminds me of an experience I had once on Crystal, was sitting with a man in the buffet (at that time called Lido) drinking coffee about 6 AM. He said his wife didn't like it when he told people the tee shirt he was wearing came from the dollar store. I told him that I might have to move tables as my tee shirt was $6 at Target! 😵😜😏

On one cruise back when formal nights were formal, my mother found she had forgotten to pack the silver pearls she enjoyed wearing with one of her long gowns. We got some aluminum foil and a travel sewing kit and went to work rolling bits of foil into small round balls and then stringing them on thread using the small sewing needle.  The necklace really looked nice, and that evening she was complimented several times for her lovely "silver pearls".  It's all in how you carry things off...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

On one cruise back when formal nights were formal, my mother found she had forgotten to pack the silver pearls she enjoyed wearing with one of her long gowns. We got some aluminum foil and a travel sewing kit and went to work rolling bits of foil into small round balls and then stringing them on thread using the small sewing needle.  The necklace really looked nice, and that evening she was complimented several times for her lovely "silver pearls".  It's all in how you carry things off...

Several years ago, we were on Oceania for a Christmas/NYE cruise.  There's no real formal night there, and it's generally low key fashion-wise.  DH hadn't packed a tie (it's Oceania! 🙂 ) but it was NYE, after all, and suddenly things were seeming more festive than we were expecting, including our own holiday feelings.

They had given all passengers a little holiday gift, in a box with a red ribbom and bow.

DH showed up for the nicely understated NYE celebration with that "red ribbon bow tie", and got lots (and lots) of smiles.

And it was a much more fun than if he had remembered some old regular tie, anyway.

BTW, Silver Sweethearts... What's the chance that when some of the other passengers glanced over, they just "assumed" (it's formal night!) that those were some special handmade white gold or even platinum creations?  Or that any sparkle was from some tiny pavé work? 😉 

GC

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I find the term "luxury" kind of a misnomer.... luxury cruising doesn't mean rich people wearing expensive formal clothing or eating on $1000 place settings or staying in cabins with solid gold fixtures in the bathroom.  Luxury when it comes to cruising basically means all inclusive pricing, some more amenities and much smaller ships.  Once you figure out what your onboard account would be on the mainstream or premium lines and add it to the cruise fare, you'll also find it really doesn't cost that much more to be on a "luxury" ship.

• Like 6

.... and never EVER intimate that you dislike or are not interested in caviar, lobster or champagne 😉

On a couple of forums this is akin to breaking wind in Church 😉 I once suggested that some people only ate certain foods because the could and the results were 'interesting '

• Haha 2

On 3/21/2022 at 6:23 PM, elycelynne said:

One thing I have learned, people of means don't really flaunt it.

Young money does. Folks of a finer vintage choose to wear quality, but name brand really isn't important. How does it fit or feel? If it fits right, it's fine. Look at some of the stuff the Royal Family wears, it's decades old (you can find the pics), but because it's quality, it fits and is comfortable, they just mend it and move on when necessary.

As for other jewelry and stuff, no one cares or is walking around with a magnifying loupe....but guys do look at watches....that's easy. LOL

Seriously, if it fits and looks good on you, all that matters

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for asking this. I am going on, hopefully, my first Regent cruise next year (RSS Splendor, European Transatlantic - Rome to Miami) and I bought all my clothes from JC Penny and Target! The JCP ones look much nicer and country-clubish.

After seeing pictures of people's closets from their suites, it was clear that I will have no problem fitting in on Regent.

Now Cunard, might be another story. I would like to sail/cross the Atlantic or Pacific on a real ocean liner one day, and Cunard is the only one building them.

• Like 3

On 4/30/2022 at 7:05 AM, MBP&O2/O said:

.... and never EVER intimate that you dislike or are not interested in caviar, lobster or champagne 😉

On a couple of forums this is akin to breaking wind in Church 😉 I once suggested that some people only ate certain foods because the could and the results were 'interesting '

I really don't like caviar (too salty) and lobster (bland and mushy), and LOVE telling people this just to see their reaction. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SireDoime said:

Thanks for asking this. I am going on, hopefully, my first Regent cruise next year (RSS Splendor, European Transatlantic - Rome to Miami) and I bought all my clothes from JC Penny and Target! The JCP ones look much nicer and country-clubish.

After seeing pictures of people's closets from their suites, it was clear that I will have no problem fitting in on Regent.

Now Cunard, might be another story. I would like to sail/cross the Atlantic or Pacific on a real ocean liner one day, and Cunard is the only one building them.

I am a JCP customer and even sailing on Cunard, your wardrobe will be just fine.  If you do think that you might be more comfortable with some formal wear, if they still sell it, JCP's tux will look just as good as any other tux, but will cost much less.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SireDoime said:

I really don't like caviar (too salty) and lobster (bland and mushy), and LOVE telling people this just to see their reaction. 😆

I used to dislike lobster, basically the same reasons or you could add in "buttered rubber," so I get it.

Trust me, as a picky eater, don't give up, blame the line cook. Bland and mushy means undercooked and rubbery is overcooked. Like a really nice fatty cod, when properly cooked it really is soft and smooth like butter, not mushy or firm.

Your tongue will know right away.

Don't give up

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EngIceDave said:

I used to dislike lobster, basically the same reasons or you could add in "buttered rubber," so I get it.

Trust me, as a picky eater, don't give up, blame the line cook. Bland and mushy means undercooked and rubbery is overcooked. Like a really nice fatty cod, when properly cooked it really is soft and smooth like butter, not mushy or firm.

Don't give up

There's also a real difference between fresh and frozen lobster. One of the things that distinguishes luxury cruise lines from mass market lines is they often serve fresh lobster.

You will find that some lux lines (like Regent) are more casual than some mass market lines. It doesn’t require coats and ties for men (though it has some “formal optional” nights on longer cruises — but the word “optional”  is operative here). The reason “lux lines” are popular with some is not because they provide a place to dress up and show off. As stated above, it is because they are all inclusive, or nearly so. Their popularity began, IMO, in 2001 when many mass market started to prohibit guests from bringing their own beverages onboard at embarkation and ports. Before, only Carnival did this AFIK. Thus they created a monopoly for overpriced drinks, both soft and hard. Those who tried a lux line after this “revolution” also enjoyed the lack of lines and crowds, fixed time dining, good accommodations, and better service the lux lines offered. And with no cruise-end bill, some found a lux line didn’t cost that much more. 

Now some lines that are mass market or premium are offering less crowded accommodations and flexible dining, with included beverages and tips — often in a separate part of the ship. Examples are MSC’s Yacht Club and Celebrity’s Retreat that (on some ships) offer separate outdoor lounge decks, and even separate uncrowded swimming pools. These need to be checked out also, as they are sometimes less costly than a cruise on a full lux line — and sometimes not. 

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 9:41 PM, Texas Tillie said:

There's also a real difference between fresh and frozen lobster. One of the things that distinguishes luxury cruise lines from mass market lines is they often serve fresh lobster.

On 6/8/2022 at 8:03 PM, EngIceDave said:

Don't give up

I want to love lobster, because I used to be able to eat shrimp by the bucket, and I used to LOVE shrimp! But something happened to my body after 17 and now I just get sick eating shrimp.

I am aware about the two types of lobster, so it seems I only had the mushy kind. Except when I had a lobster penne, which was very good. I think if I can get that fat meaty lobster with thick meat I'll be great with it. I'll keep trying...but cavier...NO!! YUK! 🤮😝

• Haha 1

If there is a luxury product sailing today, I don't know about it.  Maybe Hapag-Lloyd's Europa is close to luxury.    Best you can hope to find is a nice, upscale experience with lines advertising themselves as ultra luxury.  These companies need to print advertising that reflects a truer on  board product.