Packing Info and Laundry

Northern Swan

Since I’ve seen a few questions related to “what to pack” and laundry on board the Paul Gauguin, I thought I would start a new topic rather than post multiple replies.

We were on the PG from March 5-16, 2022, with a 4-day pre-cruise stay at the Hilton Moorea. I pre-packed in order to give myself time to think about what I had packed, then I took some stuff out and re-packed, and did that about 3 more times.  I don’t normally fret about packing for a vacation, but I wanted to bring my own snorkel gear and this was also my first visit to French Polynesia, so I started the process early.  Please heed my suggestion and pack WAY less than you think you will need.

I planned to be in the water a lot, so I brought two bikini tops, 4 bottoms, and 2 tankini tops.  I wore both bikini tops and two bottoms and the rest sat in the closet.  I brought both short sleeve and long sleeve rash guards, and wished I had brought two long sleeve and no short sleeve.  I brought 3 skorts and wore one, and wished I had brought a pull on skirt because that’s easier to slip on over a wet bathing suit than a skort is.  I brought something like 7 shirts and wore my favourite 2 or 3 all the time.  I brought black pants and tights to wear for dinner but wore them only once because I preferred the comfort of a flowy dress or gauzy-type pants because they were cool.  I never wore a sweater or slippers or any of the 3 scarves I brought, and my wide brimmed hat stayed in my suitcase because it would have blown off my head because it doesn’t have a strap. I lived in my water shoes and a pair of cute flat sandals, wore one pair of chunky heels most nights for dinner, seldom put on my flip flops, and did not wear my Allbirds flats at all.  I did wear my Sketchers light weight running shoes on a couple of tours and was glad I had them. 

Other changes I would make next time: bring one tube of sunscreen with me and if I need more buy it there; the prices are comparable to home and it will save having to pack - and possibly bring home - 5 bottles of sunscreen.  I brought way too many chargers and adapters for electronic devices, did not need to bring a Bose speaker or travel towels or 4 packages of disinfectant wipes.  I probably did not need to bring my own snorkel gear as it was available both at our land resort and on the PG, but with Covid I felt more comfortable having my own stuff.  Oh, and speaking of Covid, I did not need to bring a bag of 25 N95 masks!

If you are on the PG you can have your laundry done anytime for a fee, unless you are a returning guest then you get 5 pieces of laundry per day at no cost.  You can also wash a few things yourself and hang them to dry (do bring clothespins with you).  PG no longer offers a laundry package for purchase.

Do yourself a favour and pack really light … your travel weary body will thank you when you get home and don’t have to take 2 days to unpack all the stuff you didn’t use.  And don’t forget to consider whether you will have to carry or roll your luggage and carry on bag(s) from one flight to another or onto a bus to take you from one terminal to another.  Less is best.  🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• 3 weeks later...

Nice suggestions, and lucky you, I'm so jealous!  I'm surprised about the sunscreen, it used to be quite pricey in FP.  I guess if you're fussy about ingredients or have sensitive skin, perhaps bring your own?

Funny, tights in FP, definitely surplus to needs!

I wonder if PG Cruises has 'carried over' its list of former cruisers to Ponant ownership?

So, big sun hat yes, but must have a strap!  Oh, and water shoes, can't emphasize those enough. I would also add a long-sleeved loose fitting shirt or two to protect from the sun, if you are sensitive that way. Sun poisoning is a real probability especially if you're fair-skinned.

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I wonder if PG Cruises has 'carried over' its list of former cruisers to Ponant ownership?

Our previous PG was in 2009 when it was still with Regent and we are considered returning loyal guests so there is a carry over, even from that long ago.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the great packing trips.  Obviously, I have not cruised with PG before.  I am hoping just a pair of capris and a nice top with sandals will be fine for dinner????   So looking forward to not packing a bunch of fancy clothes but want to make sure I am not TOO casual.

8 hours ago, witt's end said:

I am on board now and what you are describing for dinner is on the casual end of what I see. From there it goes up to nice dresses and men in jackets, so a full gambit. As long as you are within the dress code - do you!

If your on-board now then your with a predominate European passenger list which could be the reason why the dress is a bit more formal. Most of the European passengers are past Ponant travelers on other their other ships which are a bit more formal. The French love the Marquesas itinerary ... the other itineraries such as the Society, Cooks and Tuamotus will be less formal. 

14 hours ago, #1cruisecoach said:

Thank you all for the great packing trips.  Obviously, I have not cruised with PG before.  I am hoping just a pair of capris and a nice top with sandals will be fine for dinner????   So looking forward to not packing a bunch of fancy clothes but want to make sure I am not TOO casual.

Nice capris or pants and a nice top, absolutely.  Long summer skirts or sundresses as well.  Nice sandals. A light wrap, like silk in case it gets cool.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

If your on-board now then your with a predominate European passenger list which could be the reason why the dress is a bit more formal. Most of the European passengers are past Ponant travelers on other their other ships which are a bit more formal. The French love the Marquesas itinerary ... the other itineraries such as the Society, Cooks and Tuamotus will be less formal. 

Our make-up is almost exactly 50-50 French to English speaking so your comment is valid. 

• 3 weeks later...

"If you are on the PG you can have your laundry done anytime for a fee, unless you are a returning guest then you get 5 pieces of laundry per day at no cost."

We've been on the PG 3 times since 2017, in a Veranda B suite, and were never offered free laundry. We paid for a "stuff the bag" option, and it was reasonably priced for a cruise ship, and was returned in very nice condition. The full laundry package was highly promoted here in the past, but we never felt it was worth the price. All of our cruises have been long ones (Marquesas, Cook Islands, Fiji). On a 1 week cruise we wouldn't bother with laundry.

As for dress code at dinner, on our 2nd cruise, we were sent back to our cabin on the first day for too casual dress. I was wearing capris, and my husband was wearing sandals with slacks since we hadn't completely unpacked. On our 3rd cruise, jeans and t-shirts were common every night for dinner, but those wearing ball caps were told to remove them.  When in a warm climate, I prefer to wear a dress for dinner.

I took a close look today at the PG website, and found it under the "Paul Gauguin Society". There's an * next to the 5 items per day that says that this benefit began on cruises starting June 6, 2020 and forward. That would have been the first cruise after the scheduled drydock which actually happened much later.

We were supposed to be on the last cruise before drydock in April 2020.  PG cancelled our cruise, and we haven't been able to take another one since. I'm sure they went a long time after June 6, 2020 before they did any included laundry for guests. We're booked for next January and will be very happy if they still have the 5 items a day of laundry when we take our 4th PG cruise.

On 5/2/2022 at 6:49 PM, SWFLAOK said:

I took a close look today at the PG website, and found it under the "Paul Gauguin Society". There's an * next to the 5 items per day that says that this benefit began on cruises starting June 6, 2020 and forward.

Well, so much for that.  When the PG previously changed hands (when Regent ceased to manage it), the new management honoured the past cruises from the Radisson/Regent days.  So much for loyalty, that is now out the window!

My husband and I are Commodore status. We have sailed every year since 2005. Pacific Beachcomber and Ponant, as well as Regent have given us status for all of our sailings. There have been no issues at all.

In addition when I could not board the 1/5/22 sailing due to a fever(not Covid related)Ponant

was wonderful to us. Pacific Beachcomber, with whom we have enjoyed a very long relationship took very good care of us during our unexpected 

stay after we could not sail.

So in our case both Regent and Ponant at this time are giving us loyalty credit for all of the PG sailings we have been on.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, miss lily said:

So in our case both Regent and Ponant at this time are giving us loyalty credit for all of the PG sailings we have been on.

Well that's great, good to know.  Not even sure what Commodore status is, but I'm sure it's a lot more than our lowly 60-some-odd days, and I'm very jealous. Also glad to know that Ponant treated you well, since we've been on the fence about ever going on the PG again.  (And yes, Regent gives us loyalty credit for the sailings that we did with them or Radisson while they managed the PG.)