Port of Los Angeles

xJSW

2 hours ago, xJSW said:

Hello All,

Any recommendations for Pre Cruise Hotels at the Los Angeles Port? 

The two most popular options are the Doubletree, which offers a shuttle to the port, and the Crowne Plaza hotel, which has a shuttle for a small fee, but is walkable for some. The Crowne Plaza is closer to dining options if that's important to you.

Because we were semi-local and ended up driving to the port, we opted to stay in Long Beach where there was a greater variety of hotel choices.

On 3/23/2022 at 6:26 AM, jkrislc said:

P.S. You’ll probably get more hotel recommendations by going to the West Coast Departures forum:

There are only three hotels anyone ever recommends really, the DoubleTree San Pedro, Crowne Plaza San Pedro and Best Western Plus San Pedro.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions..   We are looking forward to our cruise. We booked The Crown Plaza for a few nights before sailing. Hopefully there is enough to do in the area.

3 hours ago, xJSW said:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions..   We are looking forward to our cruise. We booked The Crown Plaza for a few nights before sailing. Hopefully there is enough to do in the area.

If you mean you booked the Crowne Plaza San Pedro "for a few nights" you are in the wrong place. You want to book a hotel in Santa Monica, Hollywood or Downtown LA if you want to do sightseeing.

The Crowne Plaza San Pedro is a "night before the cruise" kind of place, not more than one night.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We always stay at Crowne Plaza and eat Mexican food at the Green Onion Restaurant which is a short walking distance.   It's close enough to the pier (some people walk, we take an Uber because we bring too much stuff).   It's a perfect place for the night before the cruise.   If you are looking to sightsee, this wouldn't be my recommendation

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, FrizzbeeCruiser said:

Can you head to the beach if you're there a day or two ahead? We booked the DoubleTree San Pedro for Celebrity Cruise. 

Of course you can head to the beach, the problem is, which one. The closest beach, not inside the LA/LB Harbor breakwater is the Belmont Shore at the south end of Long Beach, about 10 miles away. If I was going to Uber that far, I might Uber to Seal Beach, Hermosa Beach or Huntington Beach.

1 minute ago, scottca075 said:

Of course you can head to the beach, the problem is, which one. The closest beach, not inside the LA/LB Harbor breakwater is the Belmont Shore at the south end of Long Beach, about 10 miles away. If I was going to Uber that far, I might Uber to Seal Beach, Hermosa Beach or Huntington Beach.

This whole thread has me deep in maps.. Lol 

I'm finding the closest beach Cabrillo Beach is dirty due to the matined traffic. White Point Beach is rocky.. Not really a chill on the beach type place. 

HAHAHA Now I'm looking further up the coast. 

We'll be flying into LA and really dobt want to stay in the city... 

I'll check out the o es your suggested now. Let me know if based on this post if you have any other suggestions! TIA

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 8:08 PM, xJSW said:

Hello All,

Any recommendations for Pre Cruise Hotels at the Los Angeles Port? 

As far as the doubletree and crowne plaza hotels…the crowne plaza has numerous restaurants around it that you can easily walk to. They’re located on 5th 6th and 7 th streets. 
the doubletree is located in the Marina   There’s Cabrillo beach that’s an easy flat walk to the outer Cabrillo beach. It has an A rating for water cleanliness. It’s a sandy/rocky beach. We live in the area if you have any questions 

On 8/9/2022 at 6:05 PM, scottca075 said:

There’s some things to do which may be of interest. We have the Korean bell. Fort mcarthur museum and battery Osgood- Farley. Point Fermin lighthouse and park. Royal Palms state beach. There’s also a marine aquarium at Cabrillo beach. You can tour the battleship Iowa. Visit the maritime museum and fire boat exhibit. Within 5 miles are the trump national golf course for a drink/lunch with great ocean views and also Terranea resort with numerous restaurants and views

• 8 months later...
On 9/5/2022 at 4:06 PM, stavy said:

As far as the doubletree and crowne plaza hotels…the crowne plaza has numerous restaurants around it that you can easily walk to. They’re located on 5th 6th and 7 th streets. 
the doubletree is located in the Marina   There’s Cabrillo beach that’s an easy flat walk to the outer Cabrillo beach. It has an A rating for water cleanliness. It’s a sandy/rocky beach. We live in the area if you have any questions 

Oh, I do have questions. We are sailing from the San Pedro port on Discovery Princess, January 6, 2024. We are looking to stay 2 nights prior to cruise, and 1 night after. We have been to LA before, and don't care to rent a car; however, we do want to visit Universal Studios Hollywood (we work at the one here in Orlando, and can get in for free), and perhaps visit the AMPAS museum. We have no idea where we should stay, how to get around and how much it will cost. The greater LA area is so spread out, and we have no idea if there is public transportation. The one other time we were there, we rented a car, and stayed downtown LA, for a convention there.

1 hour ago, kimlovesfl said:

Oh, I do have questions. We are sailing from the San Pedro port on Discovery Princess, January 6, 2024. We are looking to stay 2 nights prior to cruise, and 1 night after. We have been to LA before, and don't care to rent a car; however, we do want to visit Universal Studios Hollywood (we work at the one here in Orlando, and can get in for free), and perhaps visit the AMPAS museum. We have no idea where we should stay, how to get around and how much it will cost. The greater LA area is so spread out, and we have no idea if there is public transportation. The one other time we were there, we rented a car, and stayed downtown LA, for a convention there.

See if you can get Cast Member rates at the Universal Hilton or Universal Sheraton. That puts you onsite. If not, look at Hollywood & Highland at the Loew's Hollywood, Magic Castle Suites, Holiday Inn Express Hollywood, Hilton Garden Inn Hollywood, Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel and Kimpton Everly.

LA does have a subway system, but it doesn't extend to the airport. The first time they tried to extend it into the airport, the taxi cab companies had the political power to stop that, but that was 30 years ago and rideshare has killed the cabs companies.

I'd Uber to Hollywood from LAX and Uber to the cruise port.

On 8/9/2022 at 5:52 PM, FrizzbeeCruiser said:

Can you head to the beach if you're there a day or two ahead? We booked the DoubleTree San Pedro for Celebrity Cruise. 

If you have a day or two and want to go to the beach you could take the ferry out to Catalina island.  It might be a port stop on the cruise, but going out when there's no cruise ships tendering makes for a much less crowded time.   

It doesn't appear as though we have a discount, although I suppose I could call and find out. The Sheraton is over $300/night, and the Hilton is is $273. I was looking at the Embassy Suites in Glendale is $205/night, includes breakfast and a manager's reception in the evening. I'm thinking of that hotel for our 2 nights pre-cruise, and the Doubletree in San Pedro for after our cruise, since that hotel has free port shuttle. I still have some time to plan, but I like to get my stuff booked ASAP.

19 minutes ago, kimlovesfl said:

I was looking at the Embassy Suites in Glendale is $205/night, includes breakfast and a manager's reception in the evening.

Bad bad bad idea. Do not stay in Glendale without a car. There is a reason it is cheap. It has to be to lure people in. Without a car stay in Hollywood or DTLA.  You can use the subway to get to USH from either. The LA HoHo bus originates in Hollywood. From DTLA it is easy to get to Santa Monica on the light rail.

27 minutes ago, kimlovesfl said:

and the Doubletree in San Pedro for after our cruise since that hotel has free port shuttle..

There is ZERO reason to stay in San Pedro after a cruise. Stay in Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach or Santa Monica. Even Marina del Rey would be better.

Thanks for the info. For as much as Uber costs, it will be cheaper to rent a car. I might just book us before and after cruise at the Doubletree. They have a car rental drop off there. I guess it's kind of like coming to Orlando; it isn't easy to get around without a car.

2 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

There is ZERO reason to stay in San Pedro after a cruise. Stay in Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach or Santa Monica. Even Marina del Rey would be better.

How far from the port are these cities?

5 minutes ago, kimlovesfl said:

How far from the port are these cities?

That is only part of the equation. Two other parts are, what is there to do and see in San Pedro (virtually nothing) and how far are those cities from LAX and what is there to do in them?

Manhattan Beach is next to LAX and a great California beach town with great dining and good shopping. Redondo is further from LAX and less interesting than MB, but cheaper. Santa Monica is further, but has tons to do.

"LA" is a LOT bigger than Orlando. Every choice is going to have trade-offs. Glendale and San Pedro are Apopka and Haines City. Manhattan Beach is Winter Park with a beach. Redondo Beach is Kissimmee.

If the DoubleTree San Pedro has rental car drop-off that is news to me. The only rental cars in San Pedro I know of are Hertz and Enterprise, both close to the Crowne Plaza San Pedro.

On 3/22/2022 at 10:31 PM, jkrislc said:

The two most popular options are the Doubletree, which offers a shuttle to the port, and the Crowne Plaza hotel, which has a shuttle for a small fee, but is walkable for some. The Crowne Plaza is closer to dining options if that's important to you.

Thank you for this!  I just managed to get a room at Crowne Plaza for my family for next January (not a lot of options when you have 5 people). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...