PCS and a Trans Atlantic

scokely

My husband and I are due to PCS in the summer months and have an older dog. If we were to sail Cunard with her in the kennel, and take leave to cover the extra travel days, would we likely be able to be paid the amount the government would have spent on tickets for our flights? Or are we completely out the money since we chose to go that route? 

On 3/23/2022 at 2:49 AM, scokely said:

My husband and I are due to PCS in the summer months and have an older dog. If we were to sail Cunard with her in the kennel, and take leave to cover the extra travel days, would we likely be able to be paid the amount the government would have spent on tickets for our flights? Or are we completely out the money since we chose to go that route? 

I think your best source of information is to contact your finance office and ask them the current regulations.  If you are sailing Cunard just for the kennel and not the voyage also you may consider a private animal transfer service.  They handle your animal much differently than an airline flight does.  If you are going to Europe be sure to check out the regulations on importing a pet into England.  They are very detailed and specific.  even if you are just passing through. Best of luck on your PCS and thank you for your service.

• 1 month later...

In the past (way, way past -- 1970s!) my PCS to Germany had to be on a US Flag Carrier -- i.e., not Lufthansa, which is what I flew on.  I didn't get reimbursed for my flight (which, fortunately, wasn't very much).  Things may have changed, but that's the first thing I would check, as I'm pretty sure Cunard is not US Flagged.

It's been 20+ years, but people used to take Transatlantics on Cunard returning home for PCS. At the time, we had a cat, and I don't think you could take a pet at the time, and we'd have had to get her into the UK anyway, which was also a nightmare at the time.

But at that time, yes, you would be paid the Cat-Y fare, but keep in mind that fare is probably in the low hundreds, so it's unlikely to be much of an offset for the cost of the cruise. If you're thinking about doing that, you really need to be talking to your transportation folks sooner rather than later.

• Like 1