Debit card/ATM for international travel

craftygrandma

We have never used debit cards or ATM.  What cards do you use for international travel?  What fees are involved.  I currently only use a CU and they do not have international ATM.  I need to decide what bank to use for a world cruise.  Thanks

Does your debit care say "debit Visa" on it?  Maybe I'm wrong but I thought they all did these days. 

I have used my credit union debit card (debit Visa) numerous times overseas.  The money comes directly out of my checking account.  Always worked and any fees were reimursed.

I also used 2 credit cards with no issues; Bank of America and Citi Bank.    

The 2 banks I am using are not large international banks, but have always been able to use them when traveling. The only problem I did have with an ATM card in Italy where the information was stolen at the ATM (street-side ATM). Since I do check my accounts constantly when traveling I wasn't out to much money and got reimbursed. they took money out of my account on Friday/Saturday/Sunday to make sure I wasn't able to advise my bank right-a-way.

On 3/24/2022 at 2:08 PM, craftygrandma said:

I need to decide what bank to use for a world cruise. 

I am a Chase Bank client and have been satisfied with their products and service.  I suggest that you check with them and see if they have an ATM/Debit card that would suit your needs.  Personally, I don't use my ATM/Debit card when I travel unless I absolutely have no other access to funds.  I don't like the access that card can provide to my Checking and Savings accounts if a crook tries to do so.  

• Like 2

I have been a member of USAA courtesy of my dad for nearly 40 years now.  DH got membership through me.  Both of us use these accounts when we travel, getting money out via ATM.  
We do try to use bank ATMs to get cash.  

I wouldn't use any debit card linked to a checking account. No way.  I use a Capital One Visa credit card with no foreign exchange fees and use it for a cash advance when I need some foreign currency and for purchases.  If the card is compromised, which it never has been, Capital One will remove unauthorized charges and dispatch a new card.

If a debit card is compromised, crooks can clean out your checking/savings account.  

• Like 2

With the Schwab checking account, we keep a limited amount of funds specifically so that if it is compromised, we don’t have to worry about being cleaned out.  We opened it just for travel purposes and top off as necessary.  At the time we did this, Bank of America did not have a no-ATM fee debit card, so the Schwab account got around that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

If a debit card is compromised, crooks can clean out your checking/savings account.  

True.  But, the account I used held only what I needed for my trip.  If I needed more I used a credit card, one with no transaction fees.  

That was my first big trip and I now get that a credit card is safer.

Edited by Blondilu

I am using Credit cards to pay everywhere but am concerned about that. Where I only have to pay small amounts in locations I feel are questionable I just use a visa debit with a small account-balance. If your credit card gets compromised and gets cancelled it will be a big problem with payments you have automatically charged to them and how are you going to pay your large bills on your trip? I do like to get points on all these transactions. Having a new card expressed to you is one thing, hopefully you can pin that card by phone. Something I really want to avoid.

7 hours ago, BVILady said:

I am using Credit cards to pay everywhere but am concerned about that. Where I only have to pay small amounts in locations I feel are questionable I just use a visa debit with a small account-balance. If your credit card gets compromised and gets cancelled it will be a big problem with payments you have automatically charged to them and how are you going to pay your large bills on your trip? I do like to get points on all these transactions. Having a new card expressed to you is one thing, hopefully you can pin that card by phone. Something I really want to avoid.

The card I use for auto-billing stays home so no fears of it being compromised.  I use other cards for travel, specifically to avoid the situation you describe. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/26/2022 at 8:08 AM, SargassoPirate said:

I wouldn't use any debit card linked to a checking account. No way.  I use a Capital One Visa credit card with no foreign exchange fees and use it for a cash advance when I need some foreign currency and for purchases.  If the card is compromised, which it never has been, Capital One will remove unauthorized charges and dispatch a new card.

I strongly concur.  Exactly that happened when we were in Barcelona pre-cruise.  I used my debit card at a bank ATM across from major tourists spot.  Something, BTW, I read one should never do because the attractions attract more than tourists.  I discovered this withdrawal and we were within a day of disembarking in FLL>  We bank with Bank of America, and they had the funds restored to my account within 24 hours.  Henceforth, I will take cash advances or cash checks at the Front Desk or the concierge.