Cruise Critic on Silver Dawn! What do you want to know?

Cruise Critic Chris

• Members

Hi all! I just boarded Silver Dawn in Lisbon for a short "shakedown" cruise of this new vessel. We are visiting all Portuguese ports, touring the Otium spa and doing some S.A.L.T. tours. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to find the answers and post photos. 

Chris Gray Faust

Managing Editor 

• Like 2

Hi Chris -- looks beautiful so far!!!

I am very curious to learn more about Otium -- is it something special requiring an upcharge? Is it confined to a particular place on the ship, or is it an enhancement that appears throughout? What, really, is it?

Thank you in advance! And enjoy the shakedown!

2 hours ago, Unibok said:

I am very curious to learn more about Otium -- is it something special requiring an upcharge? Is it confined to a particular place on the ship, or is it an enhancement that appears throughout? What, really, is it?

Thanks for your fine photos.

Is Otium simply a fancy name/treatment for what used to be the Thermal Suite (which had an upcharge)?  If one simply wants a massage, must one opt for the entire Otium regimen?

Also, if one wants to get in some steps aft on deck 9 (around Panorama, etc.) is the passage blocked on the starboard side by the new outdoor smoking area?

• Members
8 hours ago, Unibok said:

Hi Chris -- looks beautiful so far!!!

Thank you in advance! And enjoy the shakedown!

Otium is something I have a lot of questions about too, so I'll be digging in. 

So far, it's been stressed to us as something that goes beyond the spa and is baked in to the entire trip. 

In the suite, we had special Otium nuts and nibbles put out, for example. They were delicious. Our butler also explained that there are two Otium balcony experiences -- one for hot weather and one for cold - that we can do. There's an Otium in-suite movie night and we can do an enhanced Otium bath experience. These are all complimentary.

I'll try to do as many of these during the trip as I can and report back. They will also be giving spa tours so i'll get the lay of the land there. 

313E550F-6903-451B-BD40-E8ABFA11512D.jpeg

993E1BE1-6687-4D79-9233-1F6156686383.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, wdjpvaz said:

Hi Chris, I am really curious to see pics and hear about the SALT lab cooking classes?

Good morning, I don't have any photos but I can try to help....I took multiple cooking classes on The Moon when I sailed her last summer.  It was a lot of fun😃.  If you have specific questions I can try to answer them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Also, in case anyone was wondering, Otium is pronounced AUGHT-ee-um. Not O-tee-um, which is how I was saying it.

Actually, I was mentally pronouncing it 'Odium' 😆  It sounds like one of those unfortunate names everybody is using since all the real words have already been trademarked.

• Haha 3

• Members

Photos from our SALT excursion in Portimao. This one centered around the area's canning history. We toured a canning museum and then went to a local restaurant/shop that carries 250 to 300 types of canned fish. That's when things got super fun. Wine flowed, dishes kept coming out. Ended up being a great time and a memorable excursion. 

I'll be eating at SALT and doing the SALT lab later in the week. 

EC172E6F-8630-4B12-BF17-EBA7FC5642A3.jpeg

481E5AA1-037E-476D-9DC2-71295B71CC06.jpeg

3147327A-1046-4C31-BBF9-115BE400C22D.jpeg

CF7E1198-4680-49FB-BACC-BB59EF5A5238.jpeg

9329B4DF-D177-4E5C-AE81-ABA6AAC6C9B0.jpeg

ADAC5DD8-5177-4F20-8610-B5438397C410.jpeg

35A8FDC6-36D0-4FDD-AEAF-6F58590151B7.jpeg

E05F4D29-3A2A-4FA3-8DBD-043F7C95D320.jpeg

• Like 3

A further question about the much publicized Otium.  Silversea publicity boasts that treatments such as massages will now be 100 minutes.  Will it be possible in this new world simply to get a 50 or 75 minute deep tissue massage?  I am not interested in all of the publicized rigmarole. 

• Members
On 3/25/2022 at 6:03 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

Do you know, what are the differences between this vessel and Silver Moon?

Ok, so I sat with Roberto at a breakfast today and got the scoop! 

The biggest difference between Dawn and Moon is the spa and thermal suite concept. Dawn has the Otium relaxation area which is between the sauna and steam room. They got rid of the outdoor thalassotherapy pool section of the thermal suite that is on Moon. The spa area is complimentary to all guests during certain hours (and if you have a treatment, you can use it before and after). 

The fitness center is also a little bigger on Dawn than on Moon. The architects also did more to keep the treatment rooms of the spa quieter and away from other activities. 

Moon is not going to be retrofit with Otium. Expect Otium to be even more developed, however, on Silver Nova (which is a bigger ship). More changes will be noticeable there than between Moon and Dawn. 

Otherwise, not too many changes. 

I'll post photos of the Otium relaxation area. 

• Like 4

• Members

Otium relaxation area. The biggest changes here are that it's complimentary for all guests during certain hours. Also as part of the Otium concept, you can have snacks and cocktails as you relax and go between the sauna and steam room. 

BBF84B90-CA7F-478A-90D0-4837541BFCEF.jpeg

5B072BC9-B273-4F4B-A9CC-D6BB53B99B5F.jpeg

DD51BC68-74A9-4508-93F1-360D687CFE1C.jpeg

2D71DE38-5F29-414E-9BBC-B590483A3655.jpeg

9BBFD04D-B430-4085-9B0D-29A9BA52183B.jpeg

562AF695-C283-4E3D-9B22-FCC29BF171E2.jpeg

47A3C03D-03E8-4566-B6D1-0B0D7F1EBEA9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Members
7 hours ago, Observer said:

A further question about the much publicized Otium.  Silversea publicity boasts that treatments such as massages will now be 100 minutes.  Will it be possible in this new world simply to get a 50 or 75 minute deep tissue massage?  I am not interested in all of the publicized rigmarole. 

Here is the Otium spa menu. There are a few 50 and 70 minute treatments sprinkled in, but longer is the norm. These prices are a bit eye-watering. Use your onboard credit! 

F346DFF1-9CA9-4345-965E-ABDF1B320DB0.jpeg

• Like 2

Chris, Kudos on being our Silver Dawn eyes and Dawn imagination.  You're providing us with outstanding information and wonderful photos of the Silver Dawn. 

Look forward to seeing the Dawn myself Thursday afternoon and boarding for the Maiden voyage April 1st.  And thanks to your fitness facility photos, look forward to using this space twice daily.

Tho, will be careful about using the Otium relaxation area, those goodies your photos show would mean, after tasting a few and or drinking--would have to head right back to the fitness facility.

Edited by WesW