Cruise Critic on Silver Dawn! What do you want to know?

Cruise Critic Chris

• Members
6 hours ago, AhoyLyss said:

Thanks for the amazing pictures Chris! It's making me very excited for my own Dawn journey at the end of May. This is random, but are there binoculars for use in each suite? 

No, there aren't. But Dawn isn't an expedition ship. 

• Thanks 1

I will be joining the Dawn on April 8 from Barcelona to Rome and would like to know who is the Guest Relations person. Have not managed to get this info from the London office.  Also, did your transfer from Lisbon to the ship work well? I am travelling with Silversea arrangements from the U.K. to Barcelona via Munich. As I may be the only SS passenger on the flight, I hope their personnel are there to meet me, as my flight lands only four hours before sailing.

On 3/30/2022 at 11:46 AM, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Something new in the shops. They now have a certain number of new and vintage designer handbags from Louis Vuitton, Hermes and Chanel. There is even a Birkin! (yours for $19,500). 

Not for everyone, of course. But I expect these bags will find an audience. Concept will also be rolled out to Moon. 

Also some cute Hermes shoes. 

ACCCF3DA-DFBC-4B54-8CBE-364969D638D4.jpeg

90CCCB6F-8807-4FEE-B749-BF3F607F5466.jpeg

Keeping this away from husband as we're onboard in June...Can't wait as not cruised since 2019! 

• Haha 1

• Members
On 4/1/2022 at 2:17 AM, wren2 said:

I will be joining the Dawn on April 8 from Barcelona to Rome and would like to know who is the Guest Relations person. Have not managed to get this info from the London office.  Also, did your transfer from Lisbon to the ship work well? I am travelling with Silversea arrangements from the U.K. to Barcelona via Munich. As I may be the only SS passenger on the flight, I hope their personnel are there to meet me, as my flight lands only four hours before sailing.

Our transfer from the airport to the ship was great but beware of the immigration line coming into Lisbon. We waited in line for three hours! As I was leaving Lisbon yesterday, I saw a similar long line. The immigration office there seems understaffed. 

I was in line with Peter Shanks and Joe Leon from Silversea so the cruise line is aware of the issue. You might want to follow up. Sorry, I don't have the names of the other personnel. 

• Members

And that's a wrap, y'all - I am home! Sorry if I didn't get to all your questions. I will be filing a story on the full Otium experience so I will post the link here when I am done. I will also be writing a ship review. 

(I am also taking a few days off to hang with my new papillon puppy Manet! Photo below!) 

Thanks for following along! Later this month: Celebrity Beyond and Azamara Onward are next for me. although we have Cruise Critic editors and writers on a variety of upcoming sailings.

Until next time, happy sailing! 

F7126DDC-336E-438C-9698-11A996ABB800.jpeg

• Like 7

• Members
On 3/27/2022 at 11:56 AM, zak477 said:

Will be on the Dawn at the end of April, Venice to Rome.  Please let me know what you think of all the specialty restaurants. 

I did not get to La Dame or Hot Rocks on this trip. I did eat at Kaiseki, Silver Note, La Terrazza, SALT Kitchen, the pizza place, Arts Cafe and the Grill, plus Atlandide twice and room service. 

Kaiseki is well worth the $40 cover charge. Really nice. Menu and photos. 

3A352CD8-AE7A-45BF-BC11-C3BCA752E442.jpeg

E97691D7-E8B2-442F-8B2A-A7E28356C7C8.jpeg

54A28080-AD8B-469B-AC1E-A39CB17CF98B.jpeg

C61F0FE8-EA49-4497-80A6-1DA57D06257B.jpeg

B79F58D4-37E9-4627-B9D1-068B2244FE9D.jpeg

D95E2784-1BAB-4A92-BC53-52E7361CA9E5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hi Chris,

Can you help with this question.:

We are about to make a booking, Transatlantic on the Dawn, but have some questions regarding suite choice. Some years ago on a Transatlantic on the Shadow we were in Silver Suite 729 below the Pool deck and were bothered by the noise from the Pool Deck the whole trip and subsequently in the Owners Suite on the Whisper we had the same problem. We are looking at the Owners Suite on the Dawn but do not want to repeat the problem especially in the early hours when the deck hands are cleaning and moving lounge chairs?

Since it is possible that the Newer Ships have more or better sound proofing could you   advise us if it is still a problem in the suites below the Pool Deck ?

We are also looking at S.S.930 near the elevators. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

On 3/27/2022 at 4:56 PM, zak477 said:

Will be on the Dawn at the end of April, Venice to Rome.  Please let me know what you think of all the specialty restaurants. 

I’m on the same cruise!

I was in the naming ceremony in Lisbon!

Silver Dawn ( like Moon) is fantastic!

The restaurants I like most are La Terrazza( Italian food and amazing view), The Grill in hot nights and the new S.A.L.T. Kitchen to try the specialities of each port!

Excellent review Chris.

Spent 17 days on the Dawn's maiden voyage (Lisbon to Rome)  and had a very good time except for the constant cigarette smell in the fitness facility (used this space daily for 3-4 hours)  from 5:45 am until closing  Corporate and the Dawn's leaders with the Dawn's engineer department fixed the smell after 14 days. Even a guest I met at the Naming ceremony said she could smell the persistent smell during her Otium massage treatment.  The smoke still lingers on the veranda of the fitness center (methinks the smoke comes from Deck 4 where the crew smoke).  This will be a challenge for Silversea to fix/address as the crew does need an open space to smoke.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 2

On 3/30/2022 at 6:46 AM, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Something new in the shops. They now have a certain number of new and vintage designer handbags from Louis Vuitton, Hermes and Chanel. There is even a Birkin! (yours for $19,500). 

Not for everyone, of course. But I expect these bags will find an audience. Concept will also be rolled out to Moon. 

Also some cute Hermes shoes. 

ACCCF3DA-DFBC-4B54-8CBE-364969D638D4.jpeg

90CCCB6F-8807-4FEE-B749-BF3F607F5466.jpeg

Chris,  Did you happen to notice the pricing on those Hermes shoes? 😉

On 3/31/2022 at 1:25 AM, Cruise Critic Chris said:

No, there aren't. But Dawn isn't an expedition ship. 

A minor history lesson.   At one time, binoculars were standard equipment in all SS suites.

Thanks for the pics.....very nice.

• Like 2

Chris, did you visit the SALT bar. We’re loving the look of their cocktails but are wondering if they are included or charged for. Considering Silversea for next year, having never sailed with them before. 

1 hour ago, Suite Susie said:

Chris, did you visit the SALT bar. We’re loving the look of their cocktails but are wondering if they are included or charged for. Considering Silversea for next year, having never sailed with them before. 

Good morning, I am not Chris but I can tell you the drinks are included😀. No extra charge for them.

• Thanks 1