After you have had a balcony have you ever gone back to an outside?

TanyaTravels

DH/I had our first balcony cabin on Voyager in July 2005 to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We loved it. On our other cruises we had an oceanview cabin.

Due to finances and wanting to go on one more cruise... we booked an inside cabin for our Bermuda cruise a few months later.

It was one extreme to the other.

Granted it was for only five days so we figure why not since we got it really cheap and wanted to go on Voyager one more time.

For those that can stay in an inside cabin, more power to you. We did it once but could never do it again.

To add to our adventure, our cabin and several others flooded due to an "issue" in the galley below us. We had to move to another inside cabin and it was horrible. We were on Deck 10 under the Solarium Pool section. We heard swooshing from the moment we arrived in our cabin until 3am the following morning. After that we heard banging on the pipes. The last two nights on our cruise we might have had three hours of sleep, if that. I wonder if "666" had anything to do with that since that was our original cabin number.:D

Our next cruise.. back to the balcony and I'm a very happy cruiser! :)

We were cruising during Christmas in the Caribbean when the prices were high and had the same dilema. Our previous 3 cruises were all with balconies.

The price difference between outside and balcony - I couldn't quite justify paying (something like $1600 total) so we opted for the outside cabin and still had a really great cruise. We spent less time in our cabins also.

I spent the savings elsewhere :-) and felt good about that!

I guess everyone has their price. (Plenty of older ships didn't even have balconies - and they were a lot of fun - there's always the great big balcony above).

Graham

After having a balcony on our last 2 cruises on HAL's Maasdam and Noordam, it would be hard to go back. Being on the balcony late at night cruising through the Virgin Islands with the moonlight glistening on the water as you see the lights twinkling on the islands, and hearing nothing but the ship slicing through the water----GOTTA HAVE IT!!

Boogie Man

We've been on 3 cruises and each time had a balcony room. We did once put my daughter and her 2 friends in an inside room across from our balcony room and they said it was fine. But for me, I like keeping the door open and listening to the sound of the ocean while falling asleep, not to mention the breeze. I also like to air out wet clothes, towels and snorkeling gear out there. The only gripe I have is cigar/cigarette smoke that drifts into the room from outside. I just got off the NCL Jewel and had a big problem with a cigar smoker next door. He was also foul mouthed and loud. So once out of 3 times-I only hope we've seen the last of that.

1st cruise we had a balcony. Second cruise we are going with an inside. It's all about the co$t for me. I'd rather cruise sooner in an inside then later in a balc. ;)

~Connie

UPDATE: OK, I broke down and booked an Oceanview :o **sigh**

~Connie

:eek: YET ANOTHER UPDATE: We are now back to a Balcony! Price dropped so we went from a Cat F with a porthole to a Cat BC! The kids are still across the hall and we actually saved a few bucks too!

Don't tell anyone but i am actually relieved. I was afraid dh and I would hate the porthole but the price was right at the time. :rolleyes:

~Connie

No. My first cruise was w/o a balcony. My 2nd cruise was w/ a balcony. And every cruise after that has been w/ a balcony. I may not use it all that often, but I like that it is there for my use, whenever I want to use it, especially when I take photos from the ship.

As one who cruises 4 times a year, it is all about price. A hundred bucks is my max increase for an ocean view, and $150 max for a balcony. I do like the window, but if it means an 4 insides vs 3 OV's or 2-3 balconies, you will see me on the 4 cruises. I look more for location...near the top and close to the Lido deck and the hottubs...

unk wes

I just enjoy the cruise, the people the ports I visit. There is no doubt the bigger more expensive cabins have extras. We have had balcony's, and once a mini suite. Two TVs and three real channels. I remember our first cruise on The Dawn Princess we had a outside cabin one night we went to bed with the curtain opened hey we never gave it a second thought. Next morning we woke up with sunshine, curtain opened and a ship very close to us. Did that curtain get closed fast.

Its all good. If one cruises Alaska I strongly suggest a balcony the rest are what makes you happy. Thats the secret if thats what you want do it.

But whatever you decide keep smiling and never stop cruising.:) :rolleyes:

I agree with elag -- it depends on where you are sailing. I like balconies in warm weather destinations, but went back to an outside for Alaska and Scandanavia. If the prices are too different, I would not hesitate to book an outside to a warm destination, either. I am too clausterphobic (sp?) for an inside. A balcony for me is as much about just being able to get air as anything else, but price remains a consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just got off Constellation transatlantic today. As they say, once you got black, you never go back. Well, same applies here. Once you go balcony, you can never go back!

At least for us! No matter the weather. Just something about looking out and seeing the sky, water etc. :D

Bryan and Roger

hello fellow cruisers:

balcony v. OV - IMO, my stateroom selection will depend on where the cruise goes, people travelling and duration - in short, what's the best value and deal.

My husband and I cruised from Vancouver to Hawaii and we upgraded from the OV to balcony - it was really worth it, and we also sailed to Alaska on a balcony. For the sights and weather in Hawaii and Alaska, we were glad we got the balcony. We are booked for a caribbean cruise and have also booked the balcony.

For our cruise this September, this ship does not have balcony staterooms and the difference between the OV and Junior Suite for a 4-night cruise for 3 persons is too steep so we are booked in the OV. Our daughter is also coming with us, and the 3rd person rate is good - she has sailed before in the Inside stateroom, so this will be a step up for her - a meet-in-the-middle exercise, I guess. Next year my husband and I are booked in the JS because of it being only a 3-nighter so that we can afford the JS.

That said, we are definitely active cruisers and want only the best deal for our budget.

My opinion of an inside v. OV - if it is a question of needing the ocean view or perhaps a larger stateroom size (to accommodate more than 2 people), then yes definitely go for the OV, but if it is a question of breathing in sea-air, there is no difference because the "picture window" of the OV cannot be opened and why not save $$$ and go for the inside and as said previously, you might even get a better sleep because it is dark.

Enjoy your staterooms, whatever you choose and have fun on your cruise!:)

regards from

hooked-on cruising

OK as I stated choice is yours. Balcony, Suite, Owners Suite, Ocean view, or inside cabin?

How much vacation time do you get? Still working? How many cruises and or vacations do you take a year? Where will you be cruising and when?

We vacation about three months a year. If I only did three or four weeks I might spend extra for the finer things, But I'd rather spread my dollars on more good vacations, I have had mini suites and balcony's are nice but I spend little time there. Different strokes for different folks. Me I'm happy just to cruise:) :rolleyes:

For our 12nt we had four sea days in a row and still didnt use the balcony as much as we had thought. On our first 2 sea days that had been one here and there in the caribbean we did sit out on ours some them as the air was very warm where as when we did the crossing of the Atlantic it was much cooler and less used due to that. I really think unless we do Alaska we would take just an outside room with a window or an inside(depends on the $$ it costs)... We really didnt get our money out of the room and balcony on this trip.

We have done 15 cruises. On the last cruise, we finally did a balcony. Every time I stepped out on the balcony I could only smell the smoke from my neighbors cigarettes. Could also hear all their conversations. One side had young people who were having a good time and were loud. the other side had an older couple who in the morning would have their coffee and cigarettes on the balcony while their door was open and their tv playing loud enough to hear from the balcony. We were on the Mexican Riviera and the weather was great. I have already booked another cruise with an outside view. no balcony

I have done insides, balconies and oceanviews and it all depends on the cruise and where I want to put my dollars.

I do insides if I want to save money and stay at my ending port for five days or more. Just did Panama Canal 15 nights and stayed in San Francisco for five days afterwards. I had an inside, but there was a problem with the mechanics in the walls that could not be fixed and they moved us to our first oceanview (window cabin).

The result is no more insides for me, I will do an oceanview instead.

I've done balconies regular size and superior and I must say I don't really use the balcony. Yes I must admit it's nice to have light, so I would stay in an oceanview for that.

I did book my first Celebrity Suite 459 sq feet for my Alaska cruise next year. Now this suite doesn't have a balcony but it does have a bumped out floor to ceiling five windows. It has a wonderful layout, living room, dining area, separate bedroom and full bathroom. This suite was just a tab more than a Sky Suite.

Now this kind of cabin is going to be hard to go back to a smaller one.

I cruise two to three times a year but I will always do at least a 14 day cruise, so I would rather spend my money elsewhere than on a cabin.

The bottom line is I don't get excited about balconies...now a Celebrity Suite...that's something to look forward to.

A cabin is all a matter of your budget, the cruise itin and the ports involved.

I've been in everything from an Inside to the Grand Suite on the Golden Princess(just got off 5/6/06).

I went through PCD(postcruise depression).:D In less than a week post cruise, I had another cruise booked. This time we're doing the Mexican Riviera on the Diamond Princess in an Inside cabin.

We've also had a Carnival aft cabin with the wrap-around balcony. Both that cruise and this past one, we hardly ever used the balcony.

If I waited to book until I could afford another balcony, I would not be cruising for a couple of years.

If I want to cruise one or more times per year, it's Inside for us. My hubby would rather not cruise but he is willing to go if there are golf excursions available!!:D.......................Karen

I've run the gamut. Our first cruise was a balcony room (Maasdam). It was perfect! Of course, a first cruise always is. We became hooked! Our second cruise (Horizon) was a Concierge room (no balconies on that ship). The service was excellent and the bed was heaven - but the room seemed small. Didn't take long to get used to it though. Third cruise (Maasdam) was OV on lower prom deck - huge balcony right outside my room - that worked just fine. Fourth cruise was inside (Zenith)- since we took the whole family, that was best we could afford. We had 3 rooms booked. I was surprised. It was comfortable and I didn't feel a bit deprived. Our next cruise (Maasdam again) is back to the balcony. I've enjoyed every cruise we've taken, and would be happy anywhere they put me:).

I love the balcony. As a very busy person who only has time to get away maybe once a year, I like that trip to be spectacular.....for me this means a balcony. It's also great for that no suit line tan! ;)

Our first cruise was on RCL out of Galveston to the Western Caribbean. We first booked an OV and my TA called me and told me for a little more for each of us we could have a balcony. At first hubby said no then a few days later he asked if we could still get the OV. I called my TA and she booked it for us. Best choice we ever made. Hubby said he didn't feel so closed in. We didn't use the balcony much because it was so hot, but we did use it some in the evenings. Our second cruise was to Alaska on NCL. We again had a balcony and it was the greatest. We were there at the end of Sept. -- the last cruise for NCL that season -- but we were able to use it a lot. When we left Alaska and were cruising out to the ocean we sat on the balcony for hours in our shirt sleeves and it was great. We are now booked on the Coral Princess for a cruise to the Panama Canal Dec. 2. We booked a mini-suite that is the very last one in the back and are looking forward to having a balcony where we can see out to the side and to the back because the railing is kind of a wrap around. Someone said that where we are we can almost reach out and touch the side of the canal. We chose the Coral because of the price and the fact that we could get the mini-suite for about the same price we would have to take an OV on another ship that we were considering. I might add it is a very good price from what we saw when we were shopping around for our cruise. I don't think hubby will ever settle for anything less than a balcony and after the mini-suite in Dec. he may not want to go back to a balcony.

Char

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Only a balcony for us, nothing like being able to step out the door and know you are on a ship. My DH would not consider going if we had to be in a cabin with no windows or a window that didn't open. Love sitting on the balcony and watching the world go by.

Archived