After you have had a balcony have you ever gone back to an outside?

TanyaTravels

In 2008 I cruised in 2 balcony cabins (one was a free upgrade), 2 oceanviews, and 1 inside. My next 2 cruises in 2009 are in inside cabins. I usually book the least expensive cabin and then watch for price drops. (That's how I ended up with all of my oceanview cabins.) While balconies are nice, I'd rather travel more often than spend the extra money for one.

In 2008 I cruised in 2 balcony cabins (one was a free upgrade), 2 oceanviews, and 1 inside. My next 2 cruises in 2009 are in inside cabins. I usually book the least expensive cabin and then watch for price drops. (That's how I ended up with all of my oceanview cabins.) While balconies are nice, I'd rather travel more often than spend the extra money for one.

Hi Nancy, we think the same way:)

(Guess we are in the minority;))

Balcony, no other way to cruise for me. Aft Balcony, once I experienced aft corner that's the only way I want to cruise now. That really spoiled me. I get claustraphobic without a balcony but I also spend alot of time on the balcony and it is worth every penny to me.

We started with "family" stateroom with "verandah" on Disney Wonder (Cat 4?). 2 adults 2 teens. We enjoyed the balcony, but were surprised that we had so many other things to enjoy that we didn't spend nearly as much time out there as we anticipated. Next cruise (Disney Magic) we put grandma and teens in standard cabin with verandah (Cat 6?). Wife & I took inside cabin directly across the hall. We thought we would hate the inside cabin and spend all our time in the other cabin. In reality, the inside cabin was NOT so bad. Again, we were doing so many other things that it just didn't matter to us. On the other hand, grandma REALLY appreciated being able to go back to her cabin and relax on her balcony. This taught me that the relative value depends on how YOU will use the cabin and what will give YOU the most for your $$$.

Our next cruise will be to Bermuda. We expect to be on shore so much that we decided to book an inside cabin and use the $$$ for other things.

Whatever you decide, have a great time.

Darth

• 9 months later...

We've also stayed in a variety of cabin types, although we have yet to experience a full suite. Our order of preference would be mini-suite, veranda, oceanview, inside. Our selection is totally dependent upon cost. We're doing 16 nts in S/A - Antartica in January and we're doing it in an inside cabin because that's what we could afford. Will we hate it, or worse, end up hating each other, oh...I hope not. I'll continue to monitor the prices, and if an oceanview becomes feasible, I'll buy up. I'm guessing one can always buy up. Is that correct?

We went back to an inside after having our first balcony, and had no problems with that at all, considering the great deal we got on it. Next cruise, we have outside. We agreed that a balcony simply wasn't a necessity for us. Your mileage may vary.

We have only ever had outsides or balconies. We just booked on an inside cabin for spring break . We got two insides cheaper then one balcony for the four of us. We'd rather have two bathrooms and more space. We loved the balconies( the best was a balcony on the Princess ships Caribe deck, those are HUGE balconies) .

We love the balcony,, but really to be honest,, its only for an hour or so in the morning, or when we were at dock that we'd go out on it.. we like the public areas of ships and tend to hang out by the pool on sea days.

I love balconies BUT I will only use them on a ship that does NOT allow smoking on the balcony. I enjoyed most of my early balcony cruises, but it only took ONE smoker and the magic of the balcony was gone for me. Instead of enjoying the wonderful fresh air, I got a full-blown asthma attack. For me, I only get a balcony if I know nobody is going to ruin it for me.

We love the balcony,, but really to be honest,, its only for an hour or so in the morning, or when we were at dock that we'd go out on it.. we like the public areas of ships and tend to hang out by the pool on sea days.

we are pretty similar...which is why unless the deal is amazing we dont ever really book a balcony

Our very first cruise on the Grand Princess, we had booked an inside but things with TA got all screwed up so I said, what the hell, I'll get a balcony...we loved it. 2nd cruise on the Serenade, we booked an outside, but a balcony came up a couple of weeks before cruise for $20 per person extra, so I grabbed it. 3rd cruise on Majesty, got an outside and it suited us fine, 4th cruise next March on Century...have a Royal Suite with a huge balcony, but only because it is an anniversary cruise for us, and 5th cruise in March 2011 on Epic will be a hump balcony cabin...so I guess you can say we like balconies, but have tried outsides afterwards...really...it doesn't matter to me...it is what I can afford so I do it

Archived