No independent exploring

silversurf

I am sure Saga will confirm any changes to protocols shortly, especially for those hoping (Covid willing) to depart this Sunday.

We have a second Saga cruise booked for this coming December and hoping that by then the Covid numbers in the UK will have come down. It is winter though and there has to be a risk that Covid protocols will still be a feature, including limits on shore excursions although hoping that other methods are found to be more effective. 

The protocols affect people in different ways, for example I have found the ‘isolation’ during the past two weeks to be quite difficult. We have opted not to attend two funerals to avoid crowded areas and meeting people whose circle of contacts is unknown to us. We have refrained from meeting up with friends, especially those with grandchildren where the circle of possible infection is potentially quite wide. Thankfully the weather has been good and extra walks have helped the pre cruise diet a little. Maybe my week 1 trousers will fit for a little longer than expected?

Still, if we want to cruise in the present times, we have to make sacrifices and I am sure it will be worth it. 

Wishing everyone (including us, Covid test permitting) sailing on the SoA next week, all the very best.

• Like 1

Library  not open , the last of the superfluous restrictions.  Denarius response in the other thread says it all

11 minutes ago, Denarius said:

This seems a bit pointless. It appears to hark back to the early days when we did not really understand covid19 and believed that like norovirus it was mainly spread indirectly via infected surfaces. We now know that it is airborne and spreads directly, and that the risk of catching it from infected surfaces is minimal. But old habits die hard.

Other cruise lines have opened, with a simple precaution of a 24hrs quarantine on returned books. Same for libraries at home

• Like 1

AS a sociable solo traveller, the thing I missed most on my recent Saga cruise was the ability to sit at a bar for a drink and chat to others doing the same. All the bar stools were out of service, even those at the deck bars. Only when I am able to this will I feel like normal service has been restored. Has it?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all from the SoA just leaving a soggy Palmero.

Quick update for those with upcoming cruises -

On this cruise after LFT and PCR tests at Southampton, there were LFT tests for first 5 days then none since. Well organised and literally took seconds. Return to cabin to wait for results - calls came within 5 minutes. No queues - very good.

3 cases of Covid found on day 2 none since - probably incubating when they came on board.

Still no self service in The Grill and no bar stool seating.

Mask wearing still required in public places. Max 4 to a lift but no real delays, though ship has less than 700 on board on this trip.

Overall, Saga have done well (in my opinion) - Italian security was over the top but not Saga’s fault. Captain kept everyone informed. Good lectures from wide variety of speakers. Track and trace in operation on coaches and theatre - staff take cabin nos and put on seating template - no hassle really.

Weather not great on the cruise (6 days to go) - which has caused some extra moaning from some people (doesn’t it always!). 

All in all, Saga has done well in trying circumstances - with the number of Covid cases being so low you have to say their protocols have worked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, krrgolf said:

Hi all from the SoA just leaving a soggy Palmero.

Quick update for those with upcoming cruises -

On this cruise after LFT and PCR tests at Southampton, there were LFT tests for first 5 days then none since. Well organised and literally took seconds. Return to cabin to wait for results - calls came within 5 minutes. No queues - very good.

3 cases of Covid found on day 2 none since - probably incubating when they came on board.

Still no self service in The Grill and no bar stool seating.

Mask wearing still required in public places. Max 4 to a lift but no real delays, though ship has less than 700 on board on this trip.

Overall, Saga have done well (in my opinion) - Italian security was over the top but not Saga’s fault. Captain kept everyone informed. Good lectures from wide variety of speakers. Track and trace in operation on coaches and theatre - staff take cabin nos and put on seating template - no hassle really.

Weather not great on the cruise (6 days to go) - which has caused some extra moaning from some people (doesn’t it always!). 

All in all, Saga has done well in trying circumstances - with the number of Covid cases being so low you have to say their protocols have worked. 

Thank you for that update.

As someone who lately has been moaning about Saga - even I could not hold them responsible for the weather.

I do recollect on one cruise (Saga) with unexpectedly ferocious weather, Captain came on the tannoy and gave all passengers a stern talking to for not arranging better weather for the voyage... told us that we must try harder if we wanted to come on his ship again..

The majority of us were amused, anyway.

Dear krrgolf sorry one more question.  Contact tracing on  saga coach trips makes independent excursions at ports even more appealing. Do you know if they bother to contact trace on the shuttle bus,  or do they consider that journey too short.

Thanks

• Like 1

Just to advise, the restrictions regarding mask wearing, social distancing in theatre etc have not been changed.  Still no books in library.  Details for contract tracing on tours have been recorded, however we have not heard of anyone being contacted with regard to COVID.  We were concerned before we embarked but are very pleased with the cruise and did not feel the restrictions spoiled our holiday.

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2022 at 8:07 PM, Windsurfboy said:

Dear krrgolf sorry one more question.  Contact tracing on  saga coach trips makes independent excursions at ports even more appealing. Do you know if they bother to contact trace on the shuttle bus,  or do they consider that journey too short.

Thanks

Sorry for delay. No trace and trace on shuttle - the t & t on tours is no hassle really. The saga guide comes down the coach and takes your cabin number. 

Must compliment Saga on disembarkation - brilliant - we were given tag 4 at 8.15am - off ship on time, no queue, driver pick up very quick and home by 10.15am - fantastic job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes,  that is one thing Saga usually manage better than any other line we have travelled on.  Usually runs really smoothly, and in normal times embarkation tends to work pretty well also.  Obviously the chauffeur driven transport helps to give you a better experience too.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 1:32 PM, Denarius said:

I am currently on SofA. The decision to ban independent exploration was sprung on us after we had embarked on tuesday. It is a Saga decision not a requirement of the ports to be visited, P&O visiting the same ports still allow people to go ashore independently. We have all been given a letter from Sagas CE invoking rising infections in the UK (!) as the reason for the change; surely what matters is the rate of infection in the ports visited! Needless to say many people onboard are not impressed and think that Saga have over reacted.

In the Telegraph today - link attached. Seems you were not the only one unimpressed.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/katie-investigates/compulsory-facemasks-daily-covid-tests-walked-10k-saga-cruise/

Guest Services on ship allegedly said that the on-board policy was different from the one stated on Saga website, and also the one given in writing by Saga after-sales.

1 hour ago, nosapphire said:

In the Telegraph today - link attached. Seems you were not the only one unimpressed.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/katie-investigates/compulsory-facemasks-daily-covid-tests-walked-10k-saga-cruise/

May be in the Telegraph "today" hidden behind a paywall but it's a month out of date... and isn't this the newspaper famed for printing obituaries of people who were in fact very much alive at the time?

5 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

May be in the Telegraph "today" hidden behind a paywall but it's a month out of date... and isn't this the newspaper famed for printing obituaries of people who were in fact very much alive at the time?

Obituaries for the famous are prepared well in advance, and I believe that it is more than country whose news channels/papers have accidentally published an obituary for the still-alive.

I found it on line after I read it in the money section of the paper Telegraph issued today, 4th June 2022. No paywall that I can see, although think it depends how often the site is accessed from the same user.

The report itself is not a month out of date - they are always retroactive, and I am reasonably certain that (even) the Telegraph would not actually make up a whole fake scenario just to put in their Q&A section.

If you genuinely believe the report is false or exaggerated, then contact the Telegraph and asking them to prove or retract.

32 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

The report itself is not a month out of date

Following your link... the report begins with "On March 29 my wife and I removed ourselves from a Saga cruise"... ( I can't read any more because of the pay wall) so the experience reported on is almost 10 weeks out of date. 

I have a copy of today’s Daily Telegraph.  The report appears on the back page of the Money section as Letter of the Week. In summary, a reader wrote to the paper to request assistance in getting a full refund for the cruise, which they had been promised,  after leaving the cruise when they learned of the change in COVID protocols.  They had tried in vain for several weeks to get the money from Saga.  (They had only received a partial refund up to that point).

After the paper stepped in, Saga apologised for an “administrative error”and have now paid the remainder of the money.

• Thanks 1

We first picked up this article on Friday through the Latest News section of the digital Daily Telegraph on Friday. This was then included in the Money section of the same publication on Saturday.

We had particular interest in this as we had also sailed on this cruise to the Canary Islands and were especially concerned about the cancellation on sailing day of independent exploring which was only announced by the Captain after the Cruse Director completed muster stations thus making it impossible to leave the cruise at that point.

That problem along with other matters was sent by email on 27 April. It was only discovered by us that it had not been answered within 28 days (the timescale promise) as the matter had been escalated to the CEO’s Office. We then received a prompt reply from Nigel Blanks’ PA addressing matters including the cancellation of independent exploring.

We were very surprised to read the article which to all intents and purposes insinuated that this couple had made their decision to leave the ship in Southampton the last straw being the cancellation of independent exploring. This would mean that they had been told of this position prior to the Captain’s announcement when it would have been impossible for anyone to take the same action.

However if one analyses the article the statements made it makes it impossible for them to cite some of the onboard incidents such as dancing in the Britannia lounge and daily Covid testing. These statements were highlighted in our answer to CEO’s PA especially concerning the timing of the no independent exploring announcement.

This was sent to the PA on Saturday morning with a prompt reply say she would be ‘out of office’ until 14 June! Not wishing this matter to go ‘cold’ we then, with an explanatory note, forwarded our email to CEO Nigel Blanks at 0919 today and got an immediate reply that he was out of office until 6 June!

However by 0955 I received a reply from the CEO.

In it says ‘I can assure the journalist has somewhat fabricated what has been reported. The couple in question boarded the ship, were told that they needed to wear a face mask when not eating or drinking (except when in their own cabin) and refused to adhere to these protocols. It was agreed that as they were not prepared to follow our protocols that the best thing to do would be to cancel and receive a full refund. Having not unpacked [in the article it says they had unpacked] they immediately left the ship, we arranged a car to return them back home again. All other references made in the article around testing, mask wearing and independent exploration had nothing to do with the couple in question…..’ He went on to say they will be….’ considering our options to challenge the article and the factual inaccuracies…’ 

We were also told that ‘I hope this reassures you that no pre notification of our decision to suspend independent exploration was given to anyone.’

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1