No independent exploring

silversurf

Agree with you. We had only cruised with P&O and thought standards had dropped.  The Baltic cruise on Saga was superior to P&O but also far more expensive, although we did feel we had value for money with all that was included.  The staff were brilliant and we liked the food.  If the Croatia one was shorter and therefore cheaper we may not be so concerned. In any case if we do go on it I will certainly put our thoughts on here. 

After a wait of an hour or so we spoke to Saga on the phone - unlikely the cruise on the 13th would be cancelled, 36 hours would.be enough time to prepare for the cruise on the 13th, they will keep to the no time ashore unless on an excursion idea, no full refunds would be given if we cancelled, can defer the dosh to a future cruise which we will probably do. We are first time Saga users so did have the thought we could do the cruise and then claim a full refund under the Love It guarantee ie if you don,t love it you get your money back !! A dubious idea and it would serve us right it we contracted the poxy disease ! Hum Ho.

We received a letter from Saga yesterday relating to our 22 night cruise on April 24th.

It stated you can only go ashore on one of their organised shore excursions and about the additional testing taking place, including you may have to isolate ashore. We felt that this was no way to go on what is an expensive holiday so decided to contact Saga.

After holding for 96 mins we managed to get through to a very helpful lady who transferred our cruise to the same one next year on April 9th. This turned out to be considerably cheaper than we had paid as we had 35% discount as opposed to 20% for this year. The remaining money owing to us was deducted from the price of our 31st July cruise on Discovery so we are quite happy with this outcome. I was told that her 3 previous callers had done exactly the same thing!

Perhaps this cruise will ultimately be cancelled if many passengers do this but Saga will probably leave it till the last minute to tell people. There seems to be quite a lot of availability on it now as opposed to last August when we booked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Am currently on SofA docked in Gran Canaria. We are permitted to go ashore on ships tours only. Immediately next to us is P&Os Arcadia. Their passengers are going ashore independently. We are subjected to almost daily covid testing which has identified a handful of non symptomatic cases. As far as I am aware no one has actually been diagnosed because they were showing symptoms. P&O are apparently taking a more reactive approach. They tested at Southampton and then before Madeira ( local requirement) but nothing since. They may have infected people aboard but they are not ill and di not know they are infected; just like onshore in the UK. They are living with covid whereas Saga are looking for it. And as it is now believed that the mortality risk from getting omicron is less than that from getting influenza, surely that is the most sensible approach.

• Like 4

S o D left Malaga yesterday but ran into headwinds that slowed it down so much we are not now going to stop at Cartegena today and have another sea day before Valencia. So no tours ship or private.

Interesting that Silver Dawn was still in Malaga when we left yesterday but made port in Cartegena ok this morning. 

There was nothing planned on the ship this morning as entertainment so the time was filled by doing another complete ship lft test. I notice little red dot stickers have appeared on some cabin do locks today,I would imagine this will not be good news for them later today.

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

Am currently on SofA docked in Gran Canaria. We are permitted to go ashore on ships tours only. Immediately next to us is P&Os Arcadia. Their passengers are going ashore independently. We are subjected to almost daily covid testing which has identified a handful of non symptomatic cases. As far as I am aware no one has actually been diagnosed because they were showing symptoms. P&O are apparently taking a more reactive approach. They tested at Southampton and then before Madeira ( local requirement) but nothing since. They may have infected people aboard but they are not ill and di not know they are infected; just like onshore in the UK. They are living with covid whereas Saga are looking for it. And as it is now believed that the mortality risk from getting omicron is less than that from getting influenza, surely that is the most sensible approach.

Thanks Denarius.  I agree with you.  How many of us can say we have never had a cough or sniffle whilst cruising in the past.  Fortunately we were not imprisoned.  I value your comments as I have seen many of your previous comments on P&O CC board which have always been fair and balanced.  Not sure yet what we will do as numbers should go down in the next couple of weeks and if fewer passengers on ship may not be too bad. We want to go ashore independently in Valetta and Zadar so if things change by the time we get there we may be ok.  Will give it another week or  so before making final decision,  the 2023 brochure arrived today so will peruse and dream.  Thanks again for your update.

30 minutes ago, Nelson PK said:

I understand that a number of guests used the “love it” guarantee for first timers, free five day holiday for them!

I thought you had to tell them within the first 72 hours (3 days) to use the 'love it' clause? how do you get 5 days free holiday?

1 hour ago, stephenSJ said:

S o D left Malaga yesterday but ran into headwinds that slowed it down so much we are not now going to stop at Cartegena today and have another sea day before Valencia. So no tours ship or private.

Interesting that Silver Dawn was still in Malaga when we left yesterday but made port in Cartegena ok this morning. 

There was nothing planned on the ship this morning as entertainment so the time was filled by doing another complete ship lft test. I notice little red dot stickers have appeared on some cabin do locks today,I would imagine this will not be good news for them later today.

Nothing planned - staff must be totally overwhelmed at the minute, as one thing they excelled at (on the old ships, anyway) was the ability to arrange entertainment at extremely short notice when a port day became a sea day. 

27 minutes ago, thornegirl said:

I thought you had to tell them within the first 72 hours (3 days) to use the 'love it' clause? how do you get 5 days free holiday?

Notify Saga within first 72 hours (48 if 7 nights or less) and then if Saga cannot improve it for you, you get passage home from the next available port. So add 24 hours for an attempt to mollify, then the time to reach a port from which Saga can arrange to fly you home.

5 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Nothing planned - staff must be totally overwhelmed at the minute, as one thing they excelled at (on the old ships, anyway) was the ability to arrange entertainment at extremely short notice when a port day became a sea day. 

Notify Saga within first 72 hours (48 if 7 nights or less) and then if Saga cannot improve it for you, you get passage home from the next available port. So add 24 hours for an attempt to mollify, then the time to reach a port from which Saga can arrange to fly you home.

Thanks for the information. 

3 hours ago, Denarius said:

It must be really galling to watch the P&O passengers going ashore and free to explore and enjoy their time in port at their own leisure whilst you are subjected to arbitrary rules that severely restrict your own freedom and the right to enjoy your holiday as you wish. I personally find the reasons for these arbitrary rules hard to fathom. When we visited the Canaries on Spirit of Adventure in January we too were told that we could only go ashore if on an organised excursion. Our “included” excursion then stopped off at a popular beach where we were free to do what we wanted for 40 minutes. I still fail to see the logic behind that particular decision.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 8:43 AM, lincslady said:

Tts - that is a hard decision to make; presumably if you do the 'love it' deal you won't be able to cruise Saga again, which IMO could be a real loss.  It does compare pretty favourably nowadays with your preferred lines, and is of course a boon if as you get ancient you don't feel like tackling airports and flying any more.  Just a pity it is the very ports you want to visit, understandably.

Lola

Now then, Mrs. What I did earlier today is entirely your fault. I've booked us on a trip to the Fjords on the SoA May next year. 

Should it not compare favourably with our preferred line I shall introduce you to Big Leroy and his baseball bat. 

To be honest, we feel comfortable with both upcoming voyages, July this year and May next. So we might not be able to go ashore independently? Yes, it's a risk but we generally take cruises with plenty of sea days - just being pampered aboard is reward enough. 

When we look at what's happening in the world I feel privileged and humbled that we can even consider such extravagance. We're fit, we have a comfortable life and we aren't being bombed. Perspective. 

• Like 2

I completely  agree with Denarius and Truro001

I just don't know how Saga can justify their arbitrary restrictions.  Given none of the other UK cruise lines are taking this approach, it proves it is a Saga decision, outside industry norms or requirements.  Surely it must be grounds for cancellation and full refund

Perhaps the number of passengers using the love it clause will tell them how unpopular it is. If those new to Saga on April cruises , who have been told they can't  cancel use the love it clause perhaps it will register where it matters, in Saga's bottom line. I expect historically the use of the love clause was a very  very rare event

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2

Tts - When the times comes I will put a Sunday Times down the back of my trousers, but feel sure it will not be needed.

You are so right; none  of us should be complaining about pretty well anything at present.  

Lola

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I completely  agree with Denarius and Truro001

I just don't know how Saga can justify their arbitrary restrictions.  Given none of the other UK cruise lines are taking this approach, it proves it is a Saga decision, outside industry norms or requirements.  Surely it must be grounds for cancellation and full refund

Perhaps the number of passengers using the love it clause will tell them how unpopular it is. If those new to Saga on April cruises , who have been told they can't  cancel use the love it clause perhaps it will register where it matters, in Saga's bottom line. I expect historically the use of the love clause was a very  very rare event

For us second time Saga cruisers, not being able to take advantage of the “Love it” clause,  in view of the current situation a “Still thinking about it” clause would be most useful. ………

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Truro001 said:

It must be really galling to watch the P&O passengers going ashore and free to explore and enjoy their time in port at their own leisure whilst you are subjected to arbitrary rules that severely restrict your own freedom and the right to enjoy your holiday as you wish. I personally find the reasons for these arbitrary rules hard to fathom. When we visited the Canaries on Spirit of Adventure in January we too were told that we could only go ashore if on an organised excursion. Our “included” excursion then stopped off at a popular beach where we were free to do what we wanted for 40 minutes. I still fail to see the logic behind that particular decision.

I would be left wondering if that was simply a means of extracting money (shareholders apparently complaining about lack of dividends, CEO is promising better things for them before too long).

10 minutes ago, lincslady said:

You are so right; none  of us should be complaining about pretty well anything at present.  

Lola

Completely agree how lucky we are . 

But that doesn't  mean we should just accept what we're "given" ,  we can both argue against Saga's arbitrary rules , and support others at same time

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

I would be left wondering if that was simply a means of extracting money (shareholders apparently complaining about lack of dividends, CEO is promising better things for them before too long).

But the profit lost from a few people exercising  love it , far out weighs gains from selling excursions

That is definitely a step In The right direction.  When we were on board SofA in January, we were made to feel that we were being difficult because we didn’t want to share a table.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Perhaps Saga are being ultra-cautious to take account of their particular customer profile, age in particular, on the advice of their lawyers?

Outside school holidays, Cunard and P&O passengers are not that young ,similar to Saga