Civitavecchia- which Airport to fly to (from Uk)

Sailorsway

Hi All 

I am looking to join the Epic in Civitavecchia but am struggling to work out what airport I need to fly into- any help would be appreciated! Also looking for some advice on transfers and hotels! 

Thank you! 

s 😃

I assume the other airport you are seeing is Ciampino? I believe that it is used mainly by the budget airlines, and am not sure how well connected it is to the city. I've never really looked at it before.

Fiumicino (Leonardo de Vinci) is the main airport serving Rome. There is no direct train to Civitavecchia from there, you have to go via Rome itself if you want to use the train, but it is physically closer so if you want to arrange a transfer direct to the port from airport then it should be quicker and probably cheaper (unless airport fees affect that).

If you want to go into Rome from the airport, the Leonardo Express from Fiumicono is cheap and easy. However that just gets you to Termini station, which may not be handy for where you are staying.

Personally, I always fly into Fiumicono if going to Rome.

As for transfers, we have always used the train, but airport to port by train is a bit of a pain, and many book transfers.

As for hotels, there are many. I wouldn't stay at Civitavecchia. We have stayed at the airport when arriving day before and gone to the port the following morning, but would usually find somewhere in Rome. If you are staying in Rome then I'd recommend deciding where you would like to visit and then finding a convenient hotel. If you are going to use the train to commute then being near Termini helps, but you are a little walk from most attractions.

• Like 1

I have flown into Ciampino and there is an east bus transfer to Rome, alternatively if you fly into Fiumicino thrre is a tran connection to Tome Termini station.  Either way you will then need to transfer to Civitavecchia 

• Thanks 1

Have flown into Fiumicino several times in order to sail from Civitavecchia on a cruise the following day. We have transferred by rail a couple of times but also booked a shared or private shuttle as well direct from the airport either to the port or to an hotel in Civitavecchia.

You can travel by a regular train service from the airport changing at Rome Trastevere then picking up a regular connection to the port. There are various options and prices. We either book on Trenitalia or you can use booking companies such as Trainline. Price depends on the time of day and whether express or slower trains but from around £10 single. Allow a hour and a half to two hours for the journey.

I have always found Civitavecchia to be a lovely place to stay the night before a cruise. It has a good selection of hotels and cafes and restaurants, a market, local shops, historic buildings and churches with a nice promenade. Check out Trip Advisor for options certainly good value prices compared to central Rome. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robins11 said:

Have flown into Fiumicino several times in order to sail from Civitavecchia on a cruise the following day. We have transferred by rail a couple of times but also booked a shared or private shuttle as well direct from the airport either to the port or to an hotel in Civitavecchia.

You can travel by a regular train service from the airport changing at Rome Trastevere then picking up a regular connection to the port. There are various options and prices. We either book on Trenitalia or you can use booking companies such as Trainline. Price depends on the time of day and whether express or slower trains but from around £10 single. Allow a hour and a half to two hours for the journey.

I have always found Civitavecchia to be a lovely place to stay the night before a cruise. It has a good selection of hotels and cafes and restaurants, a market, local shops, historic buildings and churches with a nice promenade. Check out Trip Advisor for options certainly good value prices compared to central Rome. 

Thank you! 

I was confused with how far the port was from the airport, Thank you for explaining 

so if I arrive the day before, I can take a train to the port- find a nice overnight hotel, and then board? 

thanks 🙂 

I think Fiumicino airport is around 40-50km from the port but there is no direct rail link hence the need to change trains in Rome. Never found it difficult to do though with lots of luggage it could be a challenge. Alternatively arrange a shuttle transfer a number of taxi companies offer this. Lots of choices for hotels in Civitavecchia. We have stayed at the Traghetto a few times, good value, friendly and comfortable. (That is going back to pre pandemic days !) Its around 15 minutes walk from the station but then only a couple of minutes from the boarding area for the port shuttle buses the following morning. Plenty of other choices depending on your budget. Lots of great eating places within walking distance. Worth exploring the town with many interesting sights. 

You could also fly into Ciampiano airport, to the south east of the city and a bit further out, then as mentioned in a previous post get a bus shuttle into central Rome (Termini). From there a direct train to Civitavecchia. 

• Thanks 1