First time going "guaranteed" - Huge mistake?

DeenOnDeck

For me the Mardi Gras is so massive I wouldn’t want to be in the front of the ship and that would discourage me form booking a guarantee on it.  I hope you get a good assignment.  You’ll love the MG.  We sailed on it in January and are going again in June,  

I wouldn't do a guarantee again as it was horrible when we did so.  We always choose our cabin, but we booked a cruise a couple of weeks before sailing and our cabins that we would choose were already booked.  We decided that we might as well take a guarantee and save $100.  BIG mistake!

We got a balcony cabin under the Lido where carts rolled all night long.  It was also across from a steward's pantry where the ice buckets were filled early in the AM.  The stewards also talked while in there and we could hear them in our cabin.  We were wiped out tired all week from lack of sleep.

I hope you have better luck, but as mentioned there are many areas below venues that would worry me with choosing a guarantee.

• Like 1

Can I ask as to what your point is with posting this?  Cruise lines clearly indicate the T&C's with GTY bookings as to it being any location within the selected category or possibly a higher sub-category.  No surprises to the customer unless the choose not to read what they are booking.

The staterooms are exactly the same as all others in that category, but rather than have you select the location, you typically pay a lower price to allow the cruise lines to place you at their discretion.  This allows them to utilize staterooms that would better balance stateroom attendants work load, etc.

GTY's are also typically offered in multiple categories - interior, ocean view, balcony, suite, etc.  This offers a broad selection of options for the customer when a specific location is not a concern, while saving some $ on the cruise fare with the potential of an upgrade within the category over that base GTY. This is attractive to many with no real down side risk. 

The only caveat is that the cruise lines can assign your stateroom anytime between the time you book and boarding.  This allows them the greatest flexibility in inventory control.  But typically - in our experience - the assignments are made within two weeks of boarding. With most cruise lines you also have the option of moving to another available stateroom within your assigned category if desired.

My guess is maybe you have never done a GTY booking and are not familiar with the process - and the article you reference provides only a subjective and narrow view of one's concerns.  If the writer genuinely has those concerns, then they should not have booked a GTY in the first place.  And if they did not read what they were booking carefully enough to understand that, then shame on them.

We have done GTY's a number of times depending on ship, GTY categories offered, and comparative fares, and have never had a problem with the assignment. Twice we were upgraded within the main category offered to a higher sub category - from a Junior Suite GTY to a Grand Suite.  We have also been able to move to a preferred location once assigned on more than one occasion. 

A GTY may not be desirable for everyone, but if you understand what the program offers, then there is little risk. 

We are very specific about our location (always midship or forward closer to midway) on a ship, the type of cabin (balcony or suite) and very specific decks (or I should say NEVER first few decks from bottom).  Call it control or call it "they know what they want" but we would not book a guarantee cabin no matter what the monetary savings would be (would cause much more anxiety than it would be worth).  Good Luck!

• Like 2

I'm not that picky and would choose guarantee if there were significant enough savings.

One time it was no better or worst than what I would have chosen.

Another time, I got a huge handicapped room, had a window (that faced a public deck) and was close to a door to go out on "secret" deck. I was happy since I had only had a little circle port hole before.

Edited by CookieShip

You won't know until your cabin is assigned if it was a good move or not.  We've been burned on guaranteed cabins, so we don't book them anymore.  But that's just us.  It really depends on how picky you are on location and type of cabin I guess.  Good luck and happy sailing!

On 4/3/2022 at 9:47 PM, Lisa3635 said:

For me the Mardi Gras is so massive I wouldn’t want to be in the front of the ship and that would discourage me form booking a guarantee on it.  I hope you get a good assignment.  You’ll love the MG.  We sailed on it in January and are going again in June,  

Thank you, I'm so excited to find out! 😄  You guys will surely be getting the full report lol

22 hours ago, LHARTWICK said:

You won't know until your cabin is assigned if it was a good move or not.  We've been burned on guaranteed cabins, so we don't book them anymore.  But that's just us.  It really depends on how picky you are on location and type of cabin I guess.  Good luck and happy sailing!

Yeah, I figure, I'll try it once and we'll see.  If it doesn't work out, now I know!  Either way, it's an awesome ship (it'll be the largest I've ever been on by a mile) and I will make the best of it! 

23 hours ago, CookieShip said:

I'm not that picky and would choose guarantee if there were significant enough savings.

One time it was no better or worst than what I would have chosen.

Another time, I got a huge handicapped room, had a window (that faced a public deck) and was close to a door to go out on "secret" deck. I was happy since I had only had a little circle port hole before.

Oh, man - that sounds like hitting the lottery!  Well now I'm hoping!  🙂

On 4/3/2022 at 9:50 PM, firefly333 said:

I would take any cabin, it's like xmas waiting to see the surprise. But I have no mobility issues and can deal with whatever. Go for it.

That's a very good point.  I'm SUPER fortunate in that I don't have any mobility issues as well, and walking long distances isn't a big problem (other than it offends my intrinsic laziness) - so we shall see!  I'm sure it'll be fine! (famous last words) 

I did a guarantee inside for our upcoming June Mardi Gras cruise.  I checked today and I was assigned my rooms.  We got 11259 and 11233. I am very happy with the assignment.   If I would have booked this and picked my room I would have booked the 1st floor.   I am also very happy that the rooms are close to each other.  The last time I did a guarantee we got a family harbor room.   It was just my husband and I but I really liked the convivence of having snacks and drinks near our room.   

4 hours ago, ALSPAUGHDOLL said:

I did a guarantee inside for our upcoming June Mardi Gras cruise.  I checked today and I was assigned my rooms.  We got 11259 and 11233. I am very happy with the assignment.   If I would have booked this and picked my room I would have booked the 1st floor.   I am also very happy that the rooms are close to each other.  The last time I did a guarantee we got a family harbor room.   It was just my husband and I but I really liked the convivence of having snacks and drinks near our room.   

Oh, gosh, well NOW I'm excited -- mine's June on Mardi Gras as well, so maybe I'm going to get my assignment! Fingers crossed -- thank you for posting this! 

16 hours ago, DeenOnDeck said:

Oh, gosh, well NOW I'm excited -- mine's June on Mardi Gras as well, so maybe I'm going to get my assignment! Fingers crossed -- thank you for posting this! 

When do you sail?  I was surprised that my room was assigned already.   I am so happy with my room assignment. 

On 4/6/2022 at 12:08 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

Just realized I responded to your own posted blog.  Fool me once!

Yes, it is my own blog and those narrow concerns are... actually my concerns.  I have never done guaranteed before, and I wanted to hear the experiences of others in doing that.  Which many generously shared with me.