Allure issue in Puerto Rico

Currently on board the Allure of the Seas, we are sitting at the dock in San Juan. One of the mooring lines was sucked into the bow thrusters. Just wondering if anyone here has experience this type of issue before, and how bad it is or isn't? Thanks!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Happened on another ship recently, too.

Basically it just means you may need tug help getting in and out of ports

How long does it usually take to fix the problem so tug help isn't needed?

1 minute ago, erinsmom03 said:

does it really matter?  The ship will get in and out as it should.

6 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

Really?  How would any of us know the answer to that?  We have no idea the extent of the issue or if there is any damage, or what has to be done to correct it, etc., etc.  I'm sure the Captain will keep you informed as necessary should there be any delays or other issues.  He is the only one who will have the answer.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Really?  How would any of us know the answer to that?  We have no idea the extent of the issue or if there is any damage, or what has to be done to correct it, etc., etc.  I'm sure the Captain will keep you informed as necessary should there be any delays or other issues.  He is the only 

Thanks for your input ... if anyone has anything productive to say please reply!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, mikeshow922 said:

Thanks for your input ... if anyone has anything productive to say please reply!

What are you looking for people to say?  There is a small issue, so you say, at the port, how can any of us have anything productive to say about.  Let the engineers figure it out, go grab a beverage, relax in the warm air of Puerto Rico.

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 2

Depends on the damage.  They can lock out the damaged thruster and still use the other 2 thrusters, but they have to free the mooring line first.  That's a challenge below the water line, and those lines are extremely heavy, especially when wet... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

What are you looking for people to say?  There is a small issue, so you say, at the port, how can any of us have anything productive to say about.  Let the engineers figure it out, go grab a beverage, relax in the warm air of Puerto Rico.

Maybe some one who has worked in a naval capacity has insight. Maybe someone has dealt with something like this on another cruise. Or maybe, just maybe, not reply to a thread telling the OP to basically shut up and enjoy the cruise. If you think this is a waste of a thread feel free to ignore it. Have a great night!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lane Hog said:

Depends on the damage.  They can lock out the damaged thruster and still use the other 2 thrusters, but they have to free the mooring line first.  That's a challenge below the water line, and those lines are extremely heavy, especially when wet... 

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it meant no movement with one damaged. 

Nah, the thruster is a hollow tube side to side with a fixed prop at the centerline that can run in either direction to push the bow left/right or work with adjustable rear propulsion and move the ship sideways from the pier.  Most large ships seem to have three bow thrusters.  Oasis Class have four, so you shouldn't need a tug.

They won't move with the rope still tangled, lest it interfere with other thrusters or get separated and mess with the azipods.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, mikeshow922 said:

Maybe some one who has worked in a naval capacity has insight. Maybe someone has dealt with something like this on another cruise. Or maybe, just maybe, not reply to a thread telling the OP to basically shut up and enjoy the cruise. If you think this is a waste of a thread feel free to ignore it. Have a great night!

I have extensive experience observing the ocean and its tide from the beach somewhere. It certainly seems and I AM certain that before the thruster can be engaged in full power mode the bow line must be removed from the bow thruster. Without knowing the exact size of the rope involved it is impossible for me to tell you how long it will take. Please provide me the exact diameter of the bow lone oine sucked into the thruster as well as the length of bow line currently sucked into the bow thruster, and I can so easily compute how long your delay might be

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, wayne_trisha said:

Do you know the length of bow line that was sucked into the thruster? Generally more that 8" and things get choked up.

I belive it was a considerable amount, from what I've heard from staff.  The captain expected repairs to be complete after an hour, but said it was worse than expected. Thanks I appreciate the insight, my knowledge of the workings of ships are limited. 

8 minutes ago, mikeshow922 said:

I belive it was a considerable amount, from what I've heard from staff.  The captain expected repairs to be complete after an hour, but said it was worse than expected.

Sounds like the Captain is keeping you accurately informed.  I'm sure he will follow up with updates as warranted.  Hopefully all will work out without any further issues to the cruise.

19 minutes ago, mikeshow922 said:

I belive it was a considerable amount, from what I've heard from staff.  The captain expected repairs to be complete after an hour, but said it was worse than expected. Thanks I appreciate the insight, my knowledge of the workings of ships are limited. 

I believe @chengkp75 could offer some insight into to complexities of this sort of event.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, erinsmom03 said:

1 hour ago, mikeshow922 said:

25 minutes ago, mikeshow922 said:

At no point did I ask for someone to give me exact details on my situation. I thought this was an interesting development on my cruise and posted it on a cruising board to discuss it.  And it's not snarky, I took your input, thought it wasn't productive and moved on. Enjoy your night!

I think if you review this thread - specifically the above posts -  you will see that my initial response was not to you, but to @erinsmom03 who was asking a rather specific question.  My reply was only trying to provide direction as to from where the correct answer would come.  

Your response specifically quoted me and my response to @erinsmom03, which (along with other of your posts) certainly took on a snarky tone to me. My responses were only to try and answer the comments made and provide input, again, as to from where the correct information will ultimately come.

You can certainly believe what you wish, but the information I provided was indeed productive and spot on as you have confirmed with information regarding the issue coming from the Captain - which is exactly as I suggested.

Again, I hope it all works out and you enjoy the rest of your cruise.  Allure is a great ship - have sailed on her several times, most recently in December and with plans again this June.

2 minutes ago, mikeshow922 said:

That'd be awesome! I wonder how often this happens. 

He manages to show up frequently with very good information - maybe this will be a thread he will see and respond to.  He is a great source of accurate marine information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I think if you review this thread - specifically the above posts -  you will see that my initial response was not to you, but to @erinsmom03 who was asking a rather specific question.  My reply was only trying to provide direction as to where the correct answer would come.  

Your response specifically quoted me and my response to @erinsmom03, which (along with other of your posts) certainly took on a snarky tone to me. My responses were only to try and answer the comments made and provide input, again, as to where the correct information will ultimately come.

You can certainly believe what you wish, but the information I provided was indeed productive and spot on as you have confirmed through information regarding the issue coming from the Captain - which is exactly as I suggested.

Again, I hope it all works out and you enjoy the rest of your cruise.  Allure is a great ship - have sailed on her several times, most recently in December and with plans again this June.

My subsequent posts were also in a tone that was only to provide information and response to comments made primar

I disagree but hey you're entitled to your opinion.  I think you thought my post was a waste of time and you were going to tell me that, mission accomplished. Have a wonderful night! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, mikeshow922 said:

At no point did I ask for someone to give me exact details on my situation. I thought this was an interesting development on my cruise and posted it on a cruising board to discuss it.  And it's not snarky, I took your input, thought it wasn't productive and moved on. Enjoy your night!

I wouldn't worry about it...that guy has a history of being rude to posters. Anyway, to answer your question, I am sure you are delayed in order to free the line. Divers need to assess damage and remove the line. The ship can sail no problem with thruster issues, however depending upon weather, such as rough seas or high wind, some port of calls which would normally take place may have to be skipped. I was on a Princess ship once which had thruster issues and it was quite a task making certain ports. 

Edited by rolloman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mikeshow922 said:

I disagree but hey you're entitled to your opinion.  I think you thought my post was a waste of time and you were going to tell me that, mission accomplished. Have a wonderful night! 

Nope.  Just thought it was misdirected in terms of where the right answers would be found.  But it is what it is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rolloman said:

I wouldn't worry about it...that guy has a history of being rude to posters. Anyway, to answer your question, I am sure you are delayed in order to free the line. Divers need to assess damage and remove the line. The ship can sail no problem with thruster issues, however depending upon weather, such as rough seas or high wind, some port of calls which would normally take place may have to be skipped. I was on a Princess ship once which had thruster issues and it was quite a task making certain ports. 

Thanks, no worries, such is the internet.  Yeah I'll be interested see how it works with a ship the size of the allure, getting in to st martin tomorrow.  Very high winds here too, divers been going at it since 230 pm. Have a great night! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Being “rude” to CC posters very often equates with you are not agreeing with me or not telling me what I want to hear.

• Like 3