Insurance question please.

14 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I look at this issue differently. After I pay the cost of my world cruise, that money has gone. If I am forced to cancel for medical reasons and I am only covered for $20,000, it doesn't cost me any more, I just don't get the enjoyment I was hoping to for my outlay on the cruise. The fact that I only get back roughly half of what I planned to spend will not break me financially, actually it will leave me better off financially🙂.

I take insurance to cover me for major expenses that would impact on my financial position, i.e. medical evacuation, overseas hospitalization and repatriation.

Fair enough, you are lucky to be wealthy enough to chance that, most of us on here would not be in that position.

5 hours ago, bazzaw said:

Where/how did you get this Alliance Insurance? - online, at some Alliance office , travel agent or an insurance broker. My concern is more about the complexity of our insurance - me with heart history and her with cancer history  - even more so than the cost of it - can we even get insurance at all??? We have done many cruises Internationally and seen many many passengers , frail, old, very unfit, etc and wondered about their Insurance. We insure our house at great yearly cost these days - but we do so not because we might get some $40,000 repair bill for a small fire - but because the entire house could get burned down and leave us with nothing . In other words, the $40,000 loss would be an annoyance - but the loss of the entire house would be a tragedy!! I look at travel insurance in much the same light. 

I understand your concern bazzaw.  I got the insurance online (search allianz travel insurance).  Be sure to include the cruise pack.  The online system asks you if you have medical issues and takes you through a detailed assessment.  Your answers are then attached to your policy.  I put 6 medical conditions in my part and 1 in my husband's part so also quite complex.  The added cost for a domestic cruise was about $2-300.  Of course I haven't claimed against their policies but I am reassured that Allianz is a well known name in the insurance business.  I also tried qantas but they would only insure for some of the conditions through their online assessment which would leave me uncovered in the case of med evac. 

Like you, we could wear a reasonable cost but the med evac costs are what worries me as they can be significant.      image.thumb.png.d8d7ed69b240d5c016ee00f0b4a4326d.png

Can others advise quotes similar, looking at  International Travel Insurance cost, Destination, Cruise included.

e.g,

USA / Canada.  4 weeks.    Touring and cruise.     74 & 69. Pre exist Conditions & $25K Cancellation.
$1090.00. Insure and Go Gold

$1380.00 Alliance

$1450.00. RAC 

Any other companies to try?    

NOT cc..have Amex…not enough cover.

9 minutes ago, jessandarnie said:

Can others advise quotes similar, looking at  International Travel Insurance cost, Destination, Cruise included.

e.g,

USA / Canada.  4 weeks.    Touring and cruise.     74 & 69. Pre exist Conditions & $25K Cancellation.

$1380.00 Alliance

$1450.00. RAC 

Get an on line quote from 1cover, or NRMA. Competitive.

I have just purchased travel insurance from Worldcare (underwitten by Allianz) for a couple (both aged 71) for 6 weeks river cruising in Europe. Cost was $1166 which included the additional cost for cover for pre-existing conditions, one has 3, the other has 8 pre-existing conditions. 

18 hours ago, jessandarnie said:

e.g,

$1380.00 Alliance

$1450.00. RAC 

Insure and Go are very good. All quotes will be high when travelling to the US unfortunately.

23 hours ago, jessandarnie said:

e.g,

$1380.00 Alliance

$1450.00. RAC 

Goinsure

Southen Cross

1cover

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

A bit savage locally too, but the cover is extensive to compensate.

Our travel insurance has always been over-priced.  I used to travel annually with my daughter when she lived in London.  I was shocked when I learned how much her travel insurance in the UK cost to Europe and UK for the same cruise in Aust.(same age).  

8 hours ago, portcbob said:

Hi guys 

Finally decided on NIB.

Price was good including Pre Existing for wife and cancellation covered us for our cruise cost if anything went wrong. 👍

I have been looking at NIB.  They seem to be one of the few who will cover over 80s at a reasonable cost.  They don't seem to have the bells and whistles that others do but the basics are good.

Good choice.

I have to say I'm very impressed with InsureAndGo. They reactivated my annual policy that was put on hold at the start of the pandemic with a new expiry date in June 2023 so almost the full year not the ten months I was expecting. That will cover our next five cruises. The policy does cover medical costs on Australian domestic cruises and that's all we need.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

I have been looking at NIB.  They seem to be one of the few who will cover over 80s at a reasonable cost.  They don't seem to have the bells and whistles that others do but the basics are good.

Good choice.

When I  used to compare Aust travel insurance to UK travel insurance, I noticed reputable name brand underwriters (for same cruise).

On 6/20/2022 at 1:57 PM, Ondine said:

Good choice.

After checking NIB last week I again had a look at them and they have got a 15 per cent off Click frenzy sale EOFY at the moment.  They don't seem to care that I am over 81 and when I got further into their form for an Annual Multi trip policy it listed several types of trips and one was cruising.  Looks like I will be signing up tomorrow if they will still have me.  I am not in any way promoting them but they are welcoming to an oldie when most other companies give 75 as the cut off age.  For any other oldies take a look.

• Like 1

I took out 1cover insurance last week for a one week oz cruise, but in sheer frustration this week have cancelled it. They do not answer phone calls anymore,  the only way to ask a question is by email then wait 72 hours for a reply, it's like pulling teeth 😬 So for that reason I won't use them again. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jessandarnie said:

Just did a quote on NIB…$2000 plus.. wow over $1000 more than others.

WorldCare …$900

Insure  and Go Gold …$1050

USA Canada… 4 weeks. 74 & 69 ages.

I found that their Multi trip annual policy was under $1000 for me but if I put in for a 30 day cruise single trip policy it was over $2000.  Very strange so I will be going with a multi trip annual policy.  I rang this morning to check that it covered medi-vacs from a cruise ship and it did so looks fine.  Also has some covid cover which looks reasonable.  I have 7 cruises this season booked so it makes sense.  Hope I don't run afoul of their medical questions.

Most insurances wont cover me because I am over 80.  Insure & Go would only cover me if I had a younger person accompany me.  I have some solo cruises booked so no go with them although I have used them for years.

mmmmmm maybe I might get lost, or forget who I am (dementia) or get on the wrong ship!   Makes me feel like a kindergarten child having to hold someone's hand.  They are not the only company with that rule.  Maybe it is to do with the underwriter.

Hi all without trawling thru all 13 pages can someone tell me what my best insurance options are for a family of 3 cruising to Nth Qld next January. No pre existing conditions just want coverage for cancellations due to Covid, thanks in advance.

11 hours ago, gazgolf1 said:

Hi all without trawling thru all 13 pages can someone tell me what my best insurance options are for a family of 3 cruising to Nth Qld next January. No pre existing conditions just want coverage for cancellations due to Covid, thanks in advance.

If you don't have a credit card with complimentary travel insurance attached you could consider the NAB Platinum DEBIT CARD which has travel insurance with covid cover,  and it takes 5 minutes to apply online.   Being a Debit Card you will be using your available funds for any purchases.   It is worth checking out as their travel insurance will cover the whole family for each and every travel excursion taken.   However,  there is a $10 monthly fee to maintain the Debit Card account.