Insurance question please.

9 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Hi Cheryl, how are you guys?

I also spoke with Allianz ANZ cover, yes International cover for all cruises as it has always been.

I always look at it as the ship being a country of its own!! No matter whether it is advertised as Domestic by the cruise line or TA, which attracts people as they do not need passports, then they are confused thinking they need "domestic" travel insurance.

Covid aside, you only need to break a leg or have heart troubles/stroke etc on a 3 day cruise out of the heads to require removal from the ship.

We settle for nothing less than Unlimited Medical/evacuation whether a long or short cruise to no where.

We have had an ANZ Black Qantas card for years and use the insurance for both air and cruise holidays, thankfully haven't had to claim yet. Another 25yrs till we need to worry about the no insurance over 80yrs clause!!

Hi Chez,

We are good thank you, just looking forward to getting out again. I will apply for an ANZ card for the Princess and Royal Caribbean cruises later in the year. This one being P&O needs paying shortly.

Westpac answered all our questions except, they do not have Covid cover and I think I want that cover. . I have made a claim on them before with no problems.  By the time we cruise we will have had 4 vaccinations and I will have a contingency plan (I think) if we get it and are put off the ship!  In Cairns, it won’t be an issue though. Unfortunately none I don’t think will cover Ralph’s pre existing. I agree,

I want to be covered for as much as possible, especially now.

Love to have another CC Port Macquarie morning tea again one day but our numbers have dwindled unfortunately. Cheryle

16 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Hi Chez,
Love to have another CC Port Macquarie morning tea again one day but our numbers have dwindled unfortunately. Cheryle

Sorry Cheryle...forgot you have an E on the end!!

Yes, lets do it, I have your email here somewhere.

Agree you have to do what you need to make your trip less stressful.

Sadly you only have to read the Princess boards to see that being tested prior, being Boosted multiple times, masked etc will not guarantee getting or giving it!!

We are not interested in flying overseas or doing a long cruise just yet and are enjoying local getaways in the van. Have a couple of 3 nighters booked towards the end of the year that we can cancel if it is all too much drama.

Andy says he won't go if he has to be tested, masked, boosted, tracked, quarantined.....will be vanning it forever!

When we do decide to go overseas we will be able to fly 1st class with all the Qantas points we have saved haha!! Make it worth while!

6 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Sadly you only have to read the Princess boards to see that being tested prior, being Boosted multiple times, masked etc will not guarantee getting or giving it!!

We are not interested in flying overseas or doing a long cruise just yet and are enjoying local getaways in the van. Have a couple of 3 nighters booked towards the end of the year that we can cancel if it is all too much drama.

Andy says he won't go if he has to be tested, masked, boosted, tracked, quarantined.....will be vanning it forever!

When we do decide to go overseas we will be able to fly 1st class with all the Qantas points we have saved haha!! Make it worth while!

We are a bit the same with long cruises. Cancelled Europe and circumnavigation for the moment, nothing longer than 10 - 12 nights. Glad you are enjoying the Van life too! We won’t be flying first but definitely Business when it happens. 

42 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Good one Chez..Andy...'He shall be obeyed' lol. Well you will be vanning it for some years yet then.

7 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Yes Les!! Our pact of only cruising together may be broken haha!

You can handle him Chez...remember ? 👮‍♀️lol.

Edited by NSWP

Well I put in an application in for a Suncorp Platinum credit card . Apparently although I get a decent UK pension and my Australian pension is guaranteed ,  have no debts, own my own house, have substantial savings in my bank account , supplied all my bank statements that confirmed that all my bills are paid promptly it was rejected because I am not employed and have no other income from elsewhere. At least I tried. I guess, they thought why do I need a credit card and that I only wanted it for the travel insurance and possibly that even if I used the credit card I would pay the amount off long before the 55 day limit. Makes sense they would not make any profit from me. I could try for a low fee gold card or Platinum from my Comm Bank with free Covermore international travel insurance,  but has anyone seen there reviews from product review ?  I would be interested to hear from anybody that actually uses them and their thoughts. I did want to ask Covermore some questions about the over 80 years old supplement but gave up on the phone after 4 hrs. not impressed. They do not cover Covid at this stage either, maybe later.The application of course only included my contribution. Between the wife and I, we have a reasonable income but that does not count.

Cheers John

Edited by JohnGc

3 hours ago, Cruisers47 said:

This is what happens all the time!

if you were 18 and had a job earning minimum wage you would have more chance of getting a credit card!

you must get a credit card before you retire!

Eileen

Good advice. Unfortunately I did not start cruising until I retired. I had no use for a credit card when employed so I had no idea that free Travel Insurance on a card was available.

On 4/17/2022 at 1:18 PM, Aus Traveller said:

Q'ld coastal cruises (going past Willis Is) are classified as international for duty free purposes and with most (if not all) travel insurance companies.

that's my understanding also. I would be concerned in the case of a major claim, which perhaps ends up in court, where the insurance company would argue that once the ship passed the 3 miles coastal water point, or the 12 nautical miles territorial seas point, or the 24 miles Contiguous Zone point it was no longer domestic. It's like you can't have it both ways - sail by Willis to 'qualify' for duty free status, and perhaps not have to charge GST on the cruisefare, but still claim you never left Australia and therefore it's a domestic rather than international cruise.

On 4/21/2022 at 11:59 PM, JohnGc said:

Well I put in an application in for a Suncorp Platinum credit card . Apparently although I get a decent UK pension and my Australian pension is guaranteed ,  have no debts, own my own house, have substantial savings in my bank account , supplied all my bank statements that confirmed that all my bills are paid promptly it was rejected because I am not employed and have no other income from elsewhere. At least I tried. I guess, they thought why do I need a credit card and that I only wanted it for the travel insurance and possibly that even if I used the credit card I would pay the amount off long before the 55 day limit. Makes sense they would not make any profit from me. I could try for a low fee gold card or Platinum from my Comm Bank with free Covermore international travel insurance,  but has anyone seen there reviews from product review ?  I would be interested to hear from anybody that actually uses them and their thoughts. I did want to ask Covermore some questions about the over 80 years old supplement but gave up on the phone after 4 hrs. not impressed. They do not cover Covid at this stage either, maybe later.The application of course only included my contribution. Between the wife and I, we have a reasonable income but that does not count.

Cheers John

I am in same boat.... retired and on Pension.  Would find it almost impossible to get a credit card with complimentary travel insurance coverage.   However after a lot of research I might approach Commonwealth Bank (my main bank account) which has a debit Mastercard called World Debit Mastercard, which includes Travel Insurance with Cover more.   I am hoping I am successful as I already bank with them.  Fingers crossed.  Currently they don't cover Covid related issues but that might change in the future.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CCC's said:

I am in same boat.... retired and on Pension.  Would find it almost impossible to get a credit card with complimentary travel insurance coverage.   However after a lot of research I might approach Commonwealth Bank (my main bank account) which has a debit Mastercard called World Debit Mastercard, which includes Travel Insurance with Cover more.   I am hoping I am successful as I already bank with them.  Fingers crossed.  Currently they don't cover Covid related issues but that might change in the future.  

I am also going to try Comm Bank. I was looking at the low fee Gold card that also does free international insurance ( shame it's not Domestic as well ).   Zero cost first year for the card, second year $89 but if you spend $10.000  Zero cost again. I must admit I reckon we would stand a better chance of getting the World debit card, let's face it if the money is not in your account you cant use so zero risk to the bank. $31 dearer than the gold card but well worth it. I think you will find Covermore are now covering Covid medical but cancellation of a cruise has a costly excess fee. I believe there is an added cost once you reach 80 years old as I have .I have been trying to contact Covermore to find out about the 80 year old cost and was on the phone for ages before I gave up. I have now sent an email so I will see what happens. Have you seen the Covermore reviews on product review website ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnGc said:

I am also going to try Comm Bank. I was looking at the low fee Gold card that also does free international insurance ( shame it's not Domestic as well ).   Zero cost first year for the card, second year $89 but if you spend $10.000  Zero cost again. I must admit I reckon we would stand a better chance of getting the World debit card, let's face it if the money is not in your account you cant use so zero risk to the bank. $31 dearer than the gold card but well worth it. I think you will find Covermore are now covering Covid medical but cancellation of a cruise has a costly excess fee. I believe there is an added cost once you reach 80 years old as I have .I have been trying to contact Covermore to find out about the 80 year old cost and was on the phone for ages before I gave up. I have now sent an email so I will see what happens. Have you seen the Covermore reviews on product review website ?

They are definitely covering 80+ because I got a quote for insurance which included my 83 year old husband

2 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Brilliant thank you. I must have seen it on some other insurance company. I do that a lot these days lol.

I have been watching them cos they weren’t covering covid at all but are now doing, like I guess many will follow suit

4 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

I have been watching them cos they weren’t covering covid at all but are now doing, like I guess many will follow suit

I think all the insurance companies will have to extend their coverage to include COVID, otherwise they will miss out on a lot f business.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

I am also going to try Comm Bank.  .I have been trying to contact Covermore to find out about the 80 year old cost and was on the phone for ages before I gave up. I have now sent an email so I will see what happens. Have you seen the Covermore reviews on product review website ?

I have spent the last 30 minutes checking out reviews of Covermore Insurance on the Product Review website.  My head is spinning.  99% of reviews are only one star (*).  Ouch!   I think I will discuss this matter with the CommBank when I apply for my World Debit Mastercard.  Very concerning development.

4 minutes ago, CCC's said:

I have spent the last 30 minutes checking out reviews of Covermore Insurance on the Product Review website.  My head is spinning.  99% of reviews are only one star (*).  Ouch!   I think I will discuss this matter with the CommBank when I apply for my World Debit Mastercard.  Very concerning development.

Yes very disappointing, I could handle a few complaints but that seems to be over the top. I am sorry to spoil your plans, I also feel like you. I  spent long time trying to contact them on the phone, I felt that it was strange for one of the biggest insurance companies in the world and started to look at reviews.  Let's face it you need to be confident with who you are dealing with if you have to make a claim. A lot of the complaints are regarding not reading the PDS  and getting upset over covid claims that Covermore did not cover, there are many other complaints that the company did not reply to.

7 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Yes very disappointing, I could handle a few complaints but that seems to be over the top. I am sorry to spoil your plans, I also feel like you. I  spent long time trying to contact them on the phone, I felt that it was strange for one of the biggest insurance companies in the world and started to look at reviews.  Let's face it you need to be confident with who you are dealing with if you have to make a claim. A lot of the complaints are regarding not reading the PDS  and getting upset over covid claims that Covermore did not cover, there are many other complaints that the company did not reply to.

You can't blame Covermore if people don't read the pds and then get upset if their claim isn't paid. The same thing applies to claims that are COVID-related. From what I read, it was stated in the pds that it wasn't covered. The other complaints you refer to might be legitimate, but have in mind that people are more likely to post a review if they are unhappy, than if they are happy. As you have mentioned, many of the causes of complaint are the customer's own fault.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

You can't blame Covermore if people don't read the pds and then get upset if their claim isn't paid. The same thing applies to claims that are COVID-related. From what I read, it was stated in the pds that it wasn't covered. The other complaints you refer to might be legitimate, but have in mind that people are more likely to post a review if they are unhappy, than if they are happy. As you have mentioned, many of the causes of complaint are the customer's own fault.

Very true, have you looked at the reviews on product review ?  I always read between the lines and after many years of getting reviews for anything I am interest in purchasing  Covermore reviews win the prize.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Very true, have you looked at the reviews on product review ?  I always read between the lines and after many years of getting reviews for anything I am interest in purchasing  Covermore reviews win the prize.

No. I haven't look at the reviews for Covermore.