Forced disembarkation for benefit of Covid numbers on ship.

Windsurfboy

I have heard of people testing positive being put into hotel quarantine because some countries used to insist on this. But that has stopped no counry requires this. 

However I  read in the no independent excursions thread. Saga are making people disembark and go into hotel quarantine,  so they can lower the percentage of covid on board for the ship to get entry to future ports. You are not a person just an embarassing number

DESPICABLE , or am I being over sensitive.

I hope at least they find  5 star hotels with nice big balconies. 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No. I would previously have supported Saga, but I have recently discovered accidentally via another Saga arm what the management apparently really think of the majority of us. I am waiting for a response to my email in the hopes that I am wrong - but as yet no response.

8 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I have heard of people testing positive being put into hotel quarantine because some countries used to insist on this. But that has stopped no counry requires this. 

However I  read in the no independent excursions thread. Saga are making people disembark and go into hotel quarantine,  so they can lower the percentage of covid on board for the ship to get entry to future ports. You are not a person just an embarassing number

DESPICABLE , or am I being over sensitive.

I hope at least they find  5 star hotels with nice big balconies. 

The problem is, it’s more than likely that the ships will need to keep Covid numbers down in order to be allowed to dock in ports.. 

For example on a another thread, now on the Spain ports board, it has been reported that Spain will not accept any ships with more than 3.5% of the people onboard testing positive.

The reason that Cunard and P&O’s Caribbean season more or less went as planned was because  the positive cases onboard were offloaded to Queen Victoria. The ships were therefore below the Caribbean port’s Covid threshold and were permitted to dock.

Without the luxury of a support ship, Azura’s  recent Covid ridden repositioning cruise was not allowed to dock in Spanish ports.

This issue will not just apply to Saga for the summer Med season - all cruise lines will be facing this issue. 

Ships will either have to offload excess Covid cases to get into ports or allow Covid cases to isolate on board, but not be allowed into ports.

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

I suspect most other cruise lines are not testing passengers regularly, and there are probably lots of people on board them with mild or no symptom Covid, just as there are here at home.

Which is a major problem on a cruise ship because a virus loves a closed community. If people with 'mild' symptoms or no symptoms are roaming freely they are going to spread the virus all over the ship,  Not good on any ship,  but particularly Saga vessels with their older passenger profile 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Which is a major problem on a cruise ship because a virus loves a closed community. If people with 'mild' symptoms or no symptoms are roaming freely they are going to spread the virus all over the ship,  Not good on any ship,  but particularly Saga vessels with their older passenger profile 

That made me chuckle.

When we were on P&O Britannia, we overheard people saying, "this ship is full of old people - they should be on Saga, not here".

And none of them are ill.  It is sad, (and IMO  unnecessary) but it seems they will be looked after and reimbursed.  I hope none of them are old ladies on their own, though, which did sound like a possibility.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

And none of them are ill.  It is sad, (and IMO  unnecessary) but it seems they will be looked after and reimbursed.  I hope none of them are old ladies on their own, though, which did sound like a possibility.

It says the cases are mild.

I have been told that ‘mild’ describes Covid that doesn’t need hospitalisation.

Therefore people can be unpleasantly ill and still have what is described as mild Covid if they didn’t need hospitalisation.

It is more than likely some of the people taken on the ship are feeling unwell 

• Like 1

It says mild or asymptomatic - the asymptomatic were probably completely unaware they had anything at all, others may have felt a bit "off", and some may indeed have felt pretty ill - and are probably quite surprised to discover that it medical terms they only have a "mild" case.

A sad ending for their holiday, but good that nobody needs hospital treatment.

There will be a requirement by various ports, worldwide, that covid statistics obtained within a certain time period are provided. It matters that ships test regularly to monitor how their figures stack up against future requests. I honestly trust Saga and their processes. It's a learning curve sadly and I continue to maintain a positive outlook. Cruising during a pandemic is a personal risk.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

If you receive a positive test result during your cruise, you will be required to isolate for a minimum of 5 days. In this event, we will decide whether it is more suitable for you to isolate onboard or ashore. This will be based on local authority requirements and our own assessment.

Reading the above extract from the Saga , website, covid T&Cs .  I  would think the decision by Saga as to where you should quarantine, was purely based on a medical assessment. There is no indication that you could be off-loaded just to get the numbers right. I understand the reason why they want to do this, but surely there should be some warning in Covid section of website that this is a possibility. 

Reading this most people would think if they have mild covid they would be asked to isolate until they test negative twice then get on with cruise

I now in correct thread

Edited by Windsurfboy

• 3 weeks later...

Let's face it any decent hotel is going to be full with holidaymakers so the chances of being offloaded into a quality hotel are pretty low.

A hotel that isn't fully or nearly fully booked throughout the summer months is unlikely to be high quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Why are Saga offloading guests? I know of a passenger who tested positive on a Fred Olsen ship last month and they were allowed to remain in their suite. We arrived at a Spanish port the next day and they were not off loaded. I hope Saga have changed their protocols by next month when we’re are sailing with them.

2 hours ago, tiggertom said:

Why are Saga offloading guests? I know of a passenger who tested positive on a Fred Olsen ship last month and they were allowed to remain in their suite. We arrived at a Spanish port the next day and they were not off loaded. I hope Saga have changed their protocols by next month when we’re are sailing with them.

Can only suggest you ask Nigel Blanks this .

Nigel.blanks@saga.co.uk