COVID Testing confusion

jasardeax

What makes this response even more confusing and conflicting is the information noted above on the canada.ca

website, and the information online from other cruise companies;

Holland America

CRUISES ORIGINATING IN CANADIAN PORTS:
Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test
Guests who are up to date with their vaccines or fully vaccinated may take their COVID-19 PCR within 3-days prior to sailing or an medically observed antigen test within 1-day before 
———————————
NCL

Testing Requirements:

• Embarkation: all guests must provide proof of negative NAAT test (i.e. PCR) taken within 72 hours prior to embarkation, or negative antigen test taken within 48 hours of embarkation.
—————————————————
Princess Cruises
UPDATED: Do testing requirements differ for cruise or cruisetour itineraries that begin in Canada?

Yes, based on current Canadian requirements for voyages that embark in Canada on their cruise itinerary, all guests ages five and above will require a medically observed negative viral COVID-19 test result taken before boarding the ship:

• Within 1 day for Antigen
  • Within 3 days for PCR 

Children aged two to four (who are not yet eligible for COVID-19 vaccines) will require a medically observed negative viral PCR COVID-19 test within 3 days before boarding, plus an antigen test taken at the terminal (complimentary).

We’re working closely with Canadian health authorities to manage updates as policies evolve and will advise booked guests of any changes as they occur.

Edited by jasardeax
Sp

To follow up with the scenarios laid out on this thread we are flying to Prague 4 days early before arriving in Bergen the day before we embark.  

Unfortunately as many others I misinterpreted the language and thought I could take a test in the US.  Is everyone in a similar situation just looking for a local test to take within 72 hours of boarding the cruise?

To be honest getting.a bit nervous in finding an appropriate facility etc etc.  I would appreciate any comments to calm my nerves

46 minutes ago, bpolen said:

To follow up with the scenarios laid out on this thread we are flying to Prague 4 days early before arriving in Bergen the day before we embark.  

Unfortunately as many others I misinterpreted the language and thought I could take a test in the US.  Is everyone in a similar situation just looking for a local test to take within 72 hours of boarding the cruise?

To be honest getting.a bit nervous in finding an appropriate facility etc etc.  I would appreciate any comments to calm my nerves

We are being tested at "Dr. Dropin" in Oslo and I do believe there is one in Prague.  Our TA found it for us by calling our hotel.  From what I understand, it shouldn't be too difficult.

7 minutes ago, millybess said:

We are being tested at "Dr. Dropin" in Oslo and I do believe there is one in Prague.  Our TA found it for us by calling our hotel.  From what I understand, it shouldn't be too difficult.

FYI - When I emailed Dr. Dropin they told me that for the Oslo Gardermoen airport location (it can be accessed by both arrivals and departures) they readily took walk-ups but for their other locations you needed an appointment.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bpolen said:

You could buy a home antigen kit before you go and do the test yourself in Prague. Just make sure it’s the kind of test that’s proctored (someone remotely watches you do the test to ensure you’ve done it correctly, then emails you their stamp of approval). 

19 hours ago, bpolen said:

Thanks for the options,  I do like the idea of proctored test.  Are any of those an acceptable option with Viking?   Reading the link below it doesn't seem like it?  

https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/health-and-safety/covid-19-testing.html

It says they are. "

• Guests may take a COVID-19 antigen test (with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result) within 24 hours prior to boarding your first international flight from your home country.  

Select at-home tests will meet Viking’s travel requirement, provided they include a laboratory-certified proof of result. 

I see, I was under the impression that the ONLY 3 at home options that Viking would take were the 3 listed on the link (Azova, Binx, Dxterity)  Now that I reread I see that those were only examples.  Now to find some that you can do via video.  Thanks!

All of this discussion is confusing including some of the comments noted in this discussion. The new Viking rule dated April 1, 2022 states that you need a negative covid PCR test within 72 hours of boarding a international flight OR a negative antigen test with 24 hours of boarding a international flight. I don’t see anything with a time limit related as to when you board the ship. Not really sure why Viking is hung up on this redundant testing, they do test you again when you board. For example what if you spent 3 weeks at your international port before boarding, how would a test 3 weeks prior prove that you were negative still. I am specifically talking about Canada who dropped their Covid requirements for Americans other than being vaccinated.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sabrefan said:

All of this discussion is confusing including some of the comments noted in this discussion. The new Viking rule dated April 1, 2022 states that you need a negative covid PCR test within 72 hours of boarding a international flight OR a negative antigen test with 24 hours of boarding a international flight. I don’t see anything with a time limit related as to when you board the ship. Not really sure why Viking is hung up on this redundant testing, they do test you again when you board. For example what if you spent 3 weeks at your international port before boarding, how would a test 3 weeks prior prove that you were negative still. I am specifically talking about Canada who dropped their Covid requirements for Americans other than being vaccinated.

On MVJ, in the “Before You Go” section our requirements could be Norway specific, but this is what is written in the “Pre-Cruise Embarkation Requirements” section at the bottom of the page. 

Proof of negative COVID-19 Test (laboratory-certified) Viking does accept select at-home COVID-19 tests.

- PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to boarding first international flight, (or joining Viking if traveling independently,) or

- Antigen test taken within 24 hours prior to boarding first international flight (or joining Viking if traveling independently,) - And/or Proof of Recovery: If you have recovered from a COVID-19 infection (within 10–90 days prior to departure) ensure

you carry documentation of recovery or a positive PCR test result from the time of infection.

If I look at the Viking Cruises website rather then MVJ, it only mentions the requirements for boarding our first flight. 

39 minutes ago, millybess said:

On MVJ, in the “Before You Go” section our requirements could be Norway specific, but this is what is written in the “Pre-Cruise Embarkation Requirements” section at the bottom of the page. 

Proof of negative COVID-19 Test (laboratory-certified) Viking does accept select at-home COVID-19 tests.

- PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to boarding first international flight, (or joining Viking if traveling independently,) or

- Antigen test taken within 24 hours prior to boarding first international flight (or joining Viking if traveling independently,) - And/or Proof of Recovery: If you have recovered from a COVID-19 infection (within 10–90 days prior to departure) ensure

you carry documentation of recovery or a positive PCR test result from the time of infection.

If I look at the Viking Cruises website rather then MVJ, it only mentions the requirements for boarding our first flight. 

This is the version of the "PreCruise Embarkation Requirements" that I have. In my case I fly out of USA on 6/30, arrive in Oslo on 7/1 (for one day of 'independent' activity) and then join up with the official pre-cruise extension on 7/2. If I am reading these Requirements correctly, I could dispense with the pre-flight test entirely and just take a rapid test on arrival at the Oslo airport on 7/1 (note: I am not saying that's a good idea but just that it appears to satisfy Viking's requirement!?).

I also think all these rules are going to be changed over and over and perhaps made more or perhaps made less confusing in the weeks ahead, and I will just try and figure it out nearer travel time.

7 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

This is the version of the "PreCruise Embarkation Requirements" that I have. In my case I fly out of USA on 6/30, arrive in Oslo on 7/1 (for one day of 'independent' activity) and then join up with the official pre-cruise extension on 7/2. If I am reading these Requirements correctly, I could dispense with the pre-flight test entirely and just take a rapid test on arrival at the Oslo airport on 7/1 (note: I am not saying that's a good idea but just that it appears to satisfy Viking's requirement!?).

I also think all these rules are going to be changed over and over and perhaps made more or perhaps made less confusing in the weeks ahead, and I will just try and figure it out nearer travel time.

For your sailing, the requirements might well change. For our sailing in a few weeks, our TA advises the requirements will most likely remain the same. We will be in Oslo for a few days, so we will have to be tested in Oslo or Bergen. We aren’t really too concerned about it. We are travelling on to Santorini after the cruise so if we can’t board we will just go to Santorini where there are no testing requirements. 

On 4/11/2022 at 4:14 PM, bpolen said:

I see, I was under the impression that the ONLY 3 at home options that Viking would take were the 3 listed on the link (Azova, Binx, Dxterity)  Now that I reread I see that those were only examples.  Now to find some that you can do via video.  Thanks!

Check E-Med...protored at home tests.

I can't tell you how pleased I am to see others have this problem.   We will be staying in Oslo for a night and taking a train from Oslo to Bergen the day before our cruise so we have obtained test kits to be used in Oslo 24 hours before boarding the ship. We will send the test by e Mail from Oslo.   Viking instructions are very confusing.  Viking phone reps are immovable in their insistence we take tests before we board our ship and not before we board the aircraft.    After we have done all that, Viking will test us again.   Obviously we will test before we leave home, as there would be no point going if positive!!!!   

Doing this cruise next year but will be using the Viking pre cruise extension which is two nights in Oslo then the train trip to Bergen. Are there testing facilities near the hotel since it is near the train station in Oslo? Of course you can’t catch covid on the train ride. I wonder what Norwegian requirements are for train passengers let alone Viking requirements.

45 minutes ago, sabrefan said:

Doing this cruise next year but will be using the Viking pre cruise extension which is two nights in Oslo then the train trip to Bergen. Are there testing facilities near the hotel since it is near the train station in Oslo? Of course you can’t catch covid on the train ride. I wonder what Norwegian requirements are for train passengers let alone Viking requirements.

It is my understanding that if your pre-cruise extension activity is all-Viking (i.e., no independent travel prior to meeting extension or boarding) then only the pre-flight testing is required (by Viking). Viking then - may or may not (according to an e-mail I received from them) test you at the hotel.

It depends on which hotel Viking uses in Oslo on your extension (it can vary) but there is a Dr. Dropin clinic at Dronning Eufemias gate 9, 0191 Oslo, one block from the Opera House, but it sounds like you won't need it.

Norway has moved on from Covid - it has no restrictions related to travel:

Coronavirus and travelling to Norway (visitnorway.com)

The only current requirements are those imposed by Viking, and a test required by USA for returning home (by air flight).

Edited by SailorPaulH
  • Like 1