Just returned from Disney Dream April 4-8!

ledbyrain

Welcome back!

We are finally going on our first Disney cruise next week!  Excited!  But feel like I can't fully be all in until we get that test over with and get that OK to board!  Telling my kid she better not take off her mask this week until she gets on the ship!  😉

How are the buffets now?  They still serve it or you can take it yourself?

I read somewhere the kids can hug the characters now?  Or is that just Disney world?

• Haha 1

I'm excited for you! It's all self-serve in the (awesome) buffet. They weren't allowing kids to hug the characters but it wasn't unfriendly, just distanced "photo op" opportunity. Everything else felt completed normal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We were family of 10 (3 staterooms) on Disney's Magic April 16-21, 2022.  Positives:  It was less than an hour from arrival at terminal, testing, until boarding ship for embarkation.  Very reasonable.  The staff were all exemplary.  Our server, Arlan, performed magic tricks after every dinner for our kids:  ages 3,  5, 11 + 11.  Not possible to touch or chat with characters but plenty of opportunities to have photos.  The fireworks were 15 minutes of magic.  The dance party which followed surprised me by how fun it was to watch middle school boys dancing their hearts out with all their moves (not to mention the 3-4 year old girls in their fancy dresses grooving to the music).  Disney does entertainment well, very well.  That's what they do.  The water activities on the ship were magical.  Loved the adults-only pool/bar area.  2 nights at Disney's island, decked out to cover all you need:  chaises, umbrellas, free ice cream and decent BBQ fare.  Lifeguards, extra for snorkeling, floats, bicycling.  No masks but felt very safe on the ship at capacity of only 60%-ish?  Dining at Palo for extra fee?  It was well worth it:  amazing meal and reasonable expense.

Not a fan of:  why charge for laundry?  $7 for wash/dry/detergent?  Just charge more for the cabin fee.  Also a fee charged for special, lighted mug for kids drink.  $7 empty, $9 with soda.  Why charge $3.50 for a cup of coffee at the barista bar? Why?  Just add to the cabin fee.  So, I felt like all the little extra fees were annoying for a premium cruise.  I do wish all food would be meted out by staff instead of allowing passengers to serve themselves at the buffet. Sadly, on a scale of 1-10, I'd rate the food a 4.  Although there were some nice meals, we had some real losers.  The Navigator app replaced literally all paperwork and communication on ship.  I had to beg for a hard copy of a deck map.

Both families of 4 with little kids will be returning.  Kids loved it.  My husband and I, late 60s, will not be returning to Disney.  We're more Oceania Cruise people.

One of the bar staff explained they work 15 hours per day, 7 days per week, during their six month contract with Disney.  Phew!  That's tough.  All in all, a great experience.  It was the staff that really made the difference.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the offer of info Ledbyrain..

A couple of questions

• Did you fly into & out of Miami airport?  How long does it take to get to the airport from the port?  Are there taxis awaiting once you disembark?
  • What time does the boat start letting passengers disembark?
    Thanks again for your help.