Horseshoe Bay

marnie2005

I'm going to be traveling to Bermuda in August.  Our ship gets in around 3:00 p.m.  I was thinking of heading to the beach then.  Will the shuttle vans be available?  Anyone know how late they run? 

The other time we could go to the beach is the next day around the same time probably--after we get back from an excursion and have lunch.

Also, while there will be two of us (me and my daughter), I'm a bit worried about leaving our items on the beach while we are in the water?  Should one of us stay with our stuff?  I don't know what the crime situation is.

Thank you.

34 minutes ago, moposh said:

I'm going to be traveling to Bermuda in August.  Our ship gets in around 3:00 p.m.  I was thinking of heading to the beach then.  Will the shuttle vans be available?  Anyone know how late they run? 

The other time we could go to the beach is the next day around the same time probably--after we get back from an excursion and have lunch.

Also, while there will be two of us (me and my daughter), I'm a bit worried about leaving our items on the beach while we are in the water?  Should one of us stay with our stuff?  I don't know what the crime situation is.

Thank you.

26 minutes ago, moposh said:

How long does it take to get to the beach from the dock?

You may be able to get a mini bus at that time if a driver has just brought passengers back from the beach and wants to return to pick up more people, but I wouldn't guarantee it.  Generally you can't expect any vans offering return trips to the Dockyard after 5 .

Never leave your valuables unattended on the beach. Bermuda isn't a high crime country but it does have crime...there's crime everywhere in the world...and you're making yourself a target by leaving anything unattended anywhere.

Figure about 25 to 30 minutes for a mini bus or taxi to travel between Horseshoe Bay and the Dockyard.

• Like 4

When we are there 3 ships (about 8,000) will be in port on a Sunday.  Are the chances of getting a mini-bus good or am I better off just paying the outrageous ($40 per person) ship excursion fee?

27 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

When we are there 3 ships (about 8,000) will be in port on a Sunday.  Are the chances of getting a mini-bus good or am I better off just paying the outrageous ($40 per person) ship excursion fee?

I guess you're on Celebrity Summit when it's going to be anchored for part of its stay because only two ships can dock at a time. Am I correct that the Sunday you're talking about is June 5 ? If so Enchantment of the Seas is scheduled to sail at 1 pm per the port schedule so I doubt you're going to have many of that ship's passengers going to Horseshoe Bay that day. The Norwegian Pearl is scheduled to dock at 10 am so they won't be contributing to any early morning rush to Horseshoe Bay.

Given the schedules I  don't see why you wouldn't be able to get a mini bus.

45 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

The minibuses run back and forth so I think your chances are good.  Even if the demand is huge as soon as they get to Horseshoe they come  back  to refill. How many persons in your party? A taxi would be cheaper than the excursion if there isa minibus issue. Now a days I take a taxi anyway. They cram those vans with 30 people.  If you are sharing I don't think it is worth any savings.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I guess you're on Celebrity Summit when it's going to be anchored for part of its stay because only two ships can dock at a time. Am I correct that the Sunday you're talking about is June 5 ? If so Enchantment of the Seas is scheduled to sail at 1 pm per the port schedule so I doubt you're going to have many of that ship's passengers going to Horseshoe Bay that day. The Norwegian Pearl is scheduled to dock at 10 am so they won't be contributing to any early morning rush to Horseshoe Bay.

Given the schedules I  don't see why you wouldn't be able to get a mini bus.

Those are my thoughts.  Just need to be on the dock before 10AM.  Celebrity has not informed us exactly when they will be moving the ship, I am hoping it is not 9AM on the Sunday.

56 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Those are my thoughts.  Just need to be on the dock before 10AM.  Celebrity has not informed us exactly when they will be moving the ship, I am hoping it is not 9AM on the Sunday.

It might be moved even earlier than 9 am Sunday because it hs to be safely anchored out of the way before Norwegian Pearl arrives. It wouldn't surprise me if the ship moved to the Grassy Bay anchorage at the break of daylight.

10 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It might be moved even earlier than 9 am Sunday because it hs to be safely anchored out of the way before Norwegian Pearl arrives. It wouldn't surprise me if the ship moved to the Grassy Bay anchorage at the break of daylight.

I would be fine with that if they start running the tenders shortly thereafter.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, moposh said:

What is the sand or ground like in the water?  Trying to decide if I should take water shoes.  Thanks.

Absolutely great beach even if it is touristy.  If, when you face the water, you head to your left you may find less crowed areas if you walk a little. There is a small side area that is great for younger children. 

You might want to take water shoes if you decide to visit other parts of the island.

Horseshoe was very very crowded last week when there were three ships at Dockyard (2 docked, 1 anchored). Very long waits for bathroom (which would close for cleaning) and food or drinks.  Friends who went to Tobbaco Beach on the same day said it was also very crowded.  Neither were enjoyable in our collective opinion. 

4 hours ago, JFontaine said:

Horseshoe was very very crowded last week when there were three ships at Dockyard (2 docked, 1 anchored). Very long waits for bathroom (which would close for cleaning) and food or drinks.  Friends who went to Tobbaco Beach on the same day said it was also very crowded.  Neither were enjoyable in our collective opinion. 

Three ships is unusual. I believe that it happens once more this season. July 20/21.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, marygal said:

Can anyone tell me if they have regular beach chairs at Horseshoe Bay as and not just lounge chairs?

Here's a picture from earlier this week.  Looks like lounge chairs

IMG_1556a.thumb.jpg.c8e6042afc72cc577e4b14358b0d656c.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mskaufman said:

Here's a picture from earlier this week.  Looks like lounge chairs

IMG_1556a.thumb.jpg.c8e6042afc72cc577e4b14358b0d656c.jpg

The previous concession replaced old worn out beach chairs they used to have about five years ago with the really comfortable lounge chairs that are in the photo. They did keep a few of those old chairs for those who wanted them. I don’t know if the new concession still keeps any of the old chairs around. It’s probably not something most people will notice. 

I went to Horseshoe Bay this week. I only noticed lounge chairs.

And overpriced beverages. If I wasn't extremely in need of water, no way would I have spent that much money on a drink. Not sure what would have been cheaper, that or buying water on the ship....

43 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I went to Horseshoe Bay this week. I only noticed lounge chairs.

And overpriced beverages. If I wasn't extremely in need of water, no way would I have spent that much money on a drink. Not sure what would have been cheaper, that or buying water on the ship....

I always bring water from the ship. Have to bring water as I often gone to beaches other than Horseshoe  that don't have a concession. And since I don't drink that much and cruise mostly on Celebrity I get some waters every day from my Elite Plus perk instead of alchohol beverages. I also have a collapsable water bottle I fill. Usually  never buy at the concession but I do recall water at the concession used to be less than buying onboard. I guess they might have raised the price. I would not be surprised if they tossed those old beach chairs. They were in bad shape, They were using them in 2000 and maybe before. 

Edited by Charles4515