Is October 30th too late for New England Cruise?

ski_mom

Currently, we are limited on which weeks we can take off of work.  We are planning on cruising leaving the weekend of October 29th/30th through the first weekend in November.  It looks like it's the last week for NCL's Breakaway before it heads to another port.

Would we be better off waiting until we can go earlier in the season to take this cruise?  We've never done this itinerary, but would rather wait until another year if it's really too late to get a good experience.

Thanks for any opinions / advice!

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

IMO, Any CNE cruise is a good one!  Do you have any particular areas of concern?

Thank you - we've never been, but definitely want to!

I guess the main concern is that the trees would have lost their beautiful fall colors before we get there.

That I can't answer.  I know the colors here vary quite a bit from year to year, so I imagine they do everywhere.  The leaves are just not something I notice on our cruises, though we have done NE a number of times, both fall and spring.  Maybe others can pin down an estimate.

I'm not sure where your cruise departs from but in northern Vermont and northwards the leaves are usually past peak. It's not unusual to have snow fall by Halloween and that wreaks havoc on the foliage. I can't speak to the coastline as we live inland 10 miles from the Canadian border.

If you don't mind chilly temps the views should still be fabulous, leaves or not!

• Like 2

It's hard to say, like others have said. Temperature wise, it will be chilly in Canada, but not unbearable. As for colors, probably past their peak. But you probably won't see much from the ship no matter when you're traveling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ericosmith said:

I dunno, the trip into Quebec was absolutely stunning in the fall.

I agree with you.about Quebec. But the OP was speaking about a cruise from NYC which only goes as far north as Halifax.

On 4/9/2022 at 12:33 PM, ski_mom said:

Thank you - we've never been, but definitely want to!

I guess the main concern is that the trees would have lost their beautiful fall colors before we get there.

Yes, that period is past peak foliage in New England, and considering Canada is further north, I would presume there as well. That being said, I'd take the later cruise anyway, but I'm from the area and get to enjoy the foliage every year.

If you decide to wait, book as early as possible for early October.

Edited by sippican
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2022 at 9:54 AM, sippican said:

Yes, that period is past peak foliage in New England, and considering Canada is further north, I would presume there as well. That being said, I'd take the later cruise anyway, but I'm from the area and get to enjoy the foliage every year.

If you decide to wait, book as early as possible for early October.

So we have never traveled that far north and are planning a NY to New England cruise.  The season seems to start around mid September, trying to decide when would be the best time to go.  We are from the south so are used to warm weather as late as October, but figured it would be different there.  Any advice as to weather during that time in your area?  Thanks for any tips!

We originate from Quebec and weather at the end of October is cool and depending upon how much rainfall, the beautiful foliage may be gone.  Early to mid October is a better choice IMO.

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2022 at 10:43 PM, 13cheermom said:

So we have never traveled that far north and are planning a NY to New England cruise.  The season seems to start around mid September, trying to decide when would be the best time to go.  We are from the south so are used to warm weather as late as October, but figured it would be different there.  Any advice as to weather during that time in your area?  Thanks for any tips!

The very end of September, first week of October would be the safest bet.  The weather can be absolutely gorgeous, or very cold and blustery, particularly on the ocean. Think layers. Be sure to include a hat and gloves if you want to spend outdoor time. (We wear them every August on our Maine whale watches).  A wind and waterproof outer jacket is a must. Fall is a beautiful time of year in the Northeast.

• Thanks 1

We went a few weeks earlier and you will miss the fall colours.  Also found we didn't use our balcony much.  Enjoyed the cruise but would consider an inside cabin next time

By that late in October the foliage is pretty much gone. It also can be quite cold, and depending on the year, there can be snow.

If you really want to see the beauty of the Northeast, I'd go no later than the first week of October.

• Like 1

I'm from the area.  Yes you CAN cruise here that late in the season, but that would be the latest I would cruise here.  If you're looking to see our Fall colors, that's past peak and our trees will be losing their color.  Also, it's shoulder season for hurricane season up here.