Princess Shareholder question for Aussies

31 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The end of the loyalty OBC will be permanent - you can be sure on that. ☹️ For us it's $100 on every cruise.

Damn  us also shortly to go up to the next level  very annoying

Hi Evon  slightly off topic but still lowering the elite benefits subject  what is the situation regarding purchasing internet for elite  is there a discount and what is the price do you know??

5 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Hi Evon  slightly off topic but still lowering the elite benefits subject  what is the situation regarding purchasing internet for elite  is there a discount and what is the price do you know??

Last I heard it is a 50% discount, and must be purchased prior to cruise.

18 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

On the short (7 day) cruises we have booked, I don't think we will bother with internet. Our sons are busy with work so we don't like to bother them with chatty emails. Out daughter is busy with family etc.

If you want to buy the internet package, you would only need one to share, unlike the drinks package.

Edited by Aus Traveller

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

On the short (7 day) cruises we have booked, I don't think we will both with internet. Our sons are busy with work so we don't like to bother them with chatty emails. If you want to buy the internet package, you would only need one to share, unlike the drinks package.

Yes only buy one package, we will be, even on long trips.

On the old system with reduced time allotments, it was needed to both get our free internet time.

but as its now unlimited time, only one needs to buy a package.

We just share our tablet.

23 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Thank you everyone  what is the daily cost or does it depend on US$ or AUD  

I worked out the cost for the 110 day WC as follows:

Get one package:-

AUD           Discount=50%    110 days=    cost each
$13.82       $6.91                     $760.10       $380.05

The $13.82 rate above I got from the medallion App.

The 50% came from the loyalty rating for Platinum level Captains Circle

Is that of help

16 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

You must buy for the complete cruise, prior to the cruise, to get the discount I believe.

I don't think that's correct. All it says is that if you do purchase prior to the cruise the discount will be applied onboard.

"Discount only available to Captain’s Circle Platinum and Elite guests, for MedallionNet® Wi-Fi packages on sailings embarking after 
July 24, 2021. MedallionNet® Wi-Fi packages purchased pre-cruise will be discounted on board and the guest will receive a refund credit in their folio. Discount is not combinable with any other MedallionNet Wi-Fi offers, discounts, or promotions. Discount is not transferable and has no cash value."

So it would seem easier to wait until you are onboard to buy the package. 

So to be clear  you CAN GET THE DISCOUNT even if you wait until you are on board and the price quoted above was for AUD currency ships  I wonder what my UK  US$ cost would be for 7 days

57 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I don't think that's correct. All it says is that if you do purchase prior to the cruise the discount will be applied onboard.

"Discount only available to Captain’s Circle Platinum and Elite guests, for MedallionNet® Wi-Fi packages on sailings embarking after 
July 24, 2021. MedallionNet® Wi-Fi packages purchased pre-cruise will be discounted on board and the guest will receive a refund credit in their folio. Discount is not combinable with any other MedallionNet Wi-Fi offers, discounts, or promotions. Discount is not transferable and has no cash value."

So it would seem easier to wait until you are onboard to buy the package. 

Your probably right, I not sure where I got my belief from, maybe I misread something.

But I would double check with Princess just the same.

By the way just check the app again, as it was a while since I got the cost info, and it seems it has got cheaper, as it now tells me the 110 day cruise would be $742.50 AUD.

As far as other world currencies, I would expect they would be in similar range values in exchange rates, maybe up or down a bit.

Edited by Ozwoody

1 hour ago, windsor26 said:

So to be clear  you CAN GET THE DISCOUNT even if you wait until you are on board and the price quoted above was for AUD currency ships  I wonder what my UK  US$ cost would be for 7 days

It says from US $9.99 per day - that would be for one device, and it would be more for four devices but it didn't say how much.

So US $5 per day with the discount.

Apparently the Carnival OBC for shareholders gets reviewed annually, February I read, the board then votes to keep it or not, so it’s not something that’s guaranteed to be ongoing.

Unless I had quite a few Carnival group bookings coming up shortly not sure I would be buying the 100 shares in a hurry, not least the share price has been going down for a while, although still well off the the crazy panic 2020 COVID crash lows its getting into the price levels not long after!!!! On 31st May 2021 it was over $30, now nearly a year later and it currently under $16 and on a long term downtrand (See chart), pick anytime frame, 6 month, 1 year, 5 year etc and it down.....current price is the same as 25 years ago.

Closed Friday at $15.92

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/quote/ccl/

Edited by Hammer61

So using the US$ base rate and run exchange rate to ship currency, would give you a reasonable estimate of cost for that cruise.

Further to your thoughts, when you buy a single plan, does that mean you have to use a nominated device, or does it mean only one device at a time.

ie: logon with tablet, then logoff, then re-logon with your phone is ok?

It seems they expect you to use your phone a lot as part of the medallion experience, but I can't use the phone for mail etc, too bloody small for my eyes.

9 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

Apparently the Carnival OBC for shareholders gets reviewed annually, February I read, the board then votes to keep it or not, so it’s not something that’s guaranteed to be ongoing.

Unless I had quite a few Carnival group bookings coming up shortly not sure I would be buying the 100 shares in a hurry, not least the share price has been going down for a while, although still well off the the crazy panic 2020 COVID crash lows its getting into the price levels not long after!!!! On 31st May 2021 it was over $30, now nearly a year later and it currently under $16 and on a long term downtrand (See chart), pick anytime frame, 6 month, 1 year, 5 year etc and it down.....current price is the same as 25 years ago.

Closed Friday at $15.92

It will take a few years to recover back to pre-pandemic levels but for people who cruise regularly it's a good long term investment. Up until the pandemic there were quarterly dividends of around US $50 as well as the OBC benefit. No dividends at the moment though.

I very much doubt they would vote to stop the OBC. In reality it's a very small amount and probably costs them next to nothing. 

We're still happy with our shares even though they are way below what we paid for them some years ago. The recent drops are a result of the whole US stock market diving.

Certainly for us purchasing 100 shares was a great buy

We bought at sterling 14 pounds in late 2008    we have had just over 100 sterling pounds each year (2009 to 2020) until covid in dividends  and the total obc we have received for the shares is $1900 US  and $4700 AUD  The price of the shares themselves has gone down but are only just a few shillings less than we bought them for so a win win for us and I am sure they will recover as cruising commences throughout the world again. At their top they reached 34 sterling pounds per share!!!

Of course we got the benefit with P&O Carnival Princess and Holland America

I had wanted to buy them for years but they were to expensive, when they suddenly dropped, we waited until they had a steady rise then bought them, figured that they will eventually rise again when the world hits even keel so to speak, they will be worth more than we paid. We'll see.

In between time hopefully Windsor26 is right and the OBC alone will make us smile.

2 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

Closed Friday at $15.92

I don't believe the Carnival Board would discontinue paying the OBC. It would result in a widespread selling of shares, causing the share price to plummet.

I bought 100 Carnival shares when the price was much higher than it is now. Would I buy it now at that price? No. If I didn't have shares, would I buy them now at around AUD$20 per share? You, bet I would. However, there is no advantage to buying more shares unless it is for capital gain over time.

10 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't believe the Carnival Board would discontinue paying the OBC. It would result in a widespread selling of shares, causing the share price to plummet.

I highly doubt it, on Friday alone 44 Million shares were traded in Carnival, im not sure how many small shareholders their are that hold the shares purely for the cruise benefits, but in the scale of things these investors I suspect own a fraction of the shares on issue, market capitalisation is currently close to 20 billion!

• Like 1