Cruise Critic is live from Viking Octantis: What do you want to know?

Editor Colleen

On 4/13/2022 at 8:58 AM, Editor Colleen said:

Hi all, 

We were lucky enough to do the submarine yesterday. It was a ton of fun and really worth doing. We didn't see a ton (three barracudas) but it was so much fun just experiencing something we'd never experienced before. 

Some info for you. We had a briefing the night before that really went over what to expect, and it was thorough, to the point a few people opted out. The emcee and pilots were there to take questions, and talked about how bumpy the experience would be. They also warned that if you have an inkling of claustrophobia, you shouldn't do it. Also, everyone was weighed so they could put people in the right seats for balance. (Yikes!)  

The maneuvering is a little tricky, and certainly would be difficult for anyone with mobility issues. You take a Zodiac to the dive location, then transfer from the Zodiac to the sub. We had some waves, and both boats were moving. Then, you climb down a ladder and duck-walk to your seats. 

Photos are of my husband and I underwater, and a friend getting in the sub. No one in our group had problems with the getting in and out, and we talked to people older and younger who said the same. 277591284_1592643037779700_509267237372929357_n.thumb.jpg.c34d0346069335c40d1128821e869b13.jpg277909270_4782962935164772_3836915199297841498_n.thumb.jpg.b8b671cee05e7368c6123dbf10b49d61.jpg277688603_705983167263646_4709244709637758042_n.thumb.jpg.86f3e733ff81d7d1d0d5e4bd87b94591.jpg

Worth noting: We made it, but they cut off the sub rides for the rest of the day after right after we got back onboard, because waves were too rough. Viking said they will always prioritize safety over anything else. Many people were rescheduled for today, but the captain made a 7:30 a.m. announcement that all sub rides were canceled because of swells. My best advice: Book early, and if you get canceled, keep trying. They'd love to accommodate everyone, but they are 100% at the mercy of Mother Nature.

Colleen

736667505_shipfront.thumb.jpg.ede35e39e0bd8c0bb7b079e1d04fd2ad.jpg1818934531_shipprofile.thumb.jpg.bee82b1427e0deaa1d3f68b4e4c8b12c.jpg

That makes sense that sub rides would be cut off due to swells given that boarding is from a zodiac.  Port calls of Ocean ships requiring tenders are often cancelled for the same reason.

4 hours ago, Editor Colleen said:

Hello! I was able to do a quick tour of some other cabin categories. The first is a deluxe Nordic balcony. We liked this one. It's a bit compact, but well laid out. The seating area is smaller than our junior suite, but still comfortable. The bathroom, too, is tighter, with only one sink and a smaller shower.PXL_20220413_231154222.thumb.jpg.2a69c3e7c2f8d73ba5f0163ad01778e7.jpgPXL_20220413_231211240.thumb.jpg.774add7e888453c3fbb1cd1e70cb2d91.jpg

PXL_20220413_231213898.thumb.jpg.5fdf4d2ea481f26497cf0071cf6d7d01.jpg

The second photos are from the penthouse. It's very similar to the junior suite, just slightly narrower: There's less room between the bed and the dresser. The bathroom also is smaller, with only one sink and a smaller shower, plus no heated towel rack. 

PXL_20220413_231640172.thumb.jpg.17e22a928d6018f673ea3bf731b831f2.jpgPXL_20220413_231654424.thumb.jpg.b9994918560091a5c0577326d6b8d841.jpgPXL_20220413_231705631.thumb.jpg.976c6b018430f3eb99bf15a99404c2f9.jpgPXL_20220413_231710236.thumb.jpg.9c731f95e29cd7affd6cdfb0d4b29b4b.jpg

I really like the separation between the bed and seating area in even the smaller cabin categories.  Also the smaller bathroom looks exactly like those on Ocean ships where we usually have a DV or PV.  The photo with the big window French Balcony was shown appeared to have no drapes or shades blocking the view.  That is fine with me as we always bring magnet hooks to which we tie the drapes back on Ocean.   But are there hidden drapes or a pull down light blocking shade for the locations that could have midnight sun or only 4 hours of darkness?

We were in Barbados last week on a different ship and I was excited to see the Octantis docked across from us.  I loved how there was a rainbow that ended in the ship’s funnel (see photo below), I took that as a sign that I’m destined to sail on her one day! 🙂 (I’ve had my eye on the reverse itinerary New York to Barbados in October.)

Can you tell me whether all the excursions are included or do some of them cost extra?

Thanks!

D3FFB24B-3BF5-4C02-A9DC-24A18964605C.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I really like the separation between the bed and seating area in even the smaller cabin categories.  Also the smaller bathroom looks exactly like those on Ocean ships where we usually have a DV or PV.  The photo with the big window French Balcony was shown appeared to have no drapes or shades blocking the view.  That is fine with me as we always bring magnet hooks to which we tie the drapes back on Ocean.   But are there hidden drapes or a pull down light blocking shade for the locations that could have midnight sun or only 4 hours of darkness?

There are indeed hidden drapes and shades. The shade is a blackout shade; it drops from the ceiling when you push a button. The curtain is a sheer that you pull from the side. 

Attaching an example of excursions from today. The "Group 6-12" excursions are included. The others coat extra. This is a little different, as this itinerary is more a traditional cruise itin than an expedition schedule, so you're not really seeing expedition offerings here. PXL_20220414_184833870.thumb.jpg.a438843c6b49583a35de0bf128953ceb.jpg

1 hour ago, Editor Colleen said:

Attaching an example of excursions from today. The "Group 6-12" excursions are included. The others coat extra. This is a little different, as this itinerary is more a traditional cruise itin than an expedition schedule, so you're not really seeing expedition offerings here. PXL_20220414_184833870.thumb.jpg.a438843c6b49583a35de0bf128953ceb.jpg

Didn't realize the ship was in PR today.  That is where we live.  The optional excursions are pretty good.  

Hi Colleen, It’s me again. My wife and I have been following your blog and videos as we prepare for our trip in May. I noticed in the sub video you had what looked like wet suit pants and booties. Were they provided by Viking or did you bring them. If they are yours do you know if Viking provides waterproof pants and boots? I know on the Antarctic cruises they were provided for kayaking. Also, did Viking provide you with a recommended packing list?

• Like 1

How far in advance would you be able to make dinner reservations? If you use a travel agent would they do it at booking?  It’s mind boggling that you wouldn’t be able to eat dinner in a MDR. Especially at Vikings prices. We are looking at the Great Lakes trip. We are booked for May 2023 Viking Mississippi and I’m worried. paid in full two years in advance!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oh2Bcruisin said:

Hi Colleen, It’s me again. My wife and I have been following your blog and videos as we prepare for our trip in May. I noticed in the sub video you had what looked like wet suit pants and booties. Were they provided by Viking or did you bring them. If they are yours do you know if Viking provides waterproof pants and boots? I know on the Antarctic cruises they were provided for kayaking. Also, did Viking provide you with a recommended packing list?

Hi Oh2Bcruising,

They did provide booties. You go down to the midships area where they store them and swap out your shoes for the neoprene booties. I suspect it is to help make the transit from Zodiac to sub easier, as they don't slip. The pants I wore actually were just my yoga pants. But I did get soaking wet on the ride over to the sub; I picked the side of the boat that got the splash. This wasn't a problem in the warm Caribbean waters; it would be moreso in the polar regions. There, Viking does provide a parka. Let me check on the pants, but in my experience sailing those regions, the cruise line provides waterproof pants, which are for borrowing (not keeping). 

We were a bit of a last-minute addition to this sailing, so we didn't get a packing list, though I'm told Viking does provide a pretty extensive list to guests for expedition cruises. 

I do my fair share of expedition cruising, and the pieces I always pack are designed to keep my stuff and me dry: waterproof bags, rain pants and rain coats, and seriously waterproof gloves. Once you get wet, you can't keep warm. That said, you'll note I didn't say boots. Most lines provide them for you, and I'm a firm believer in keeping my travel to a carryon only. (I have terrible luck with flying and bags, so it just works best for me.) 

Also, in Antarctic in particular, my advice is, use as much of the gear provided as possible. Bio security is very important in that region, and cruise lines make sure their boots, pants and other gear is clear of potential bio-contamination risks. 

Colleen

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

How far in advance would you be able to make dinner reservations? If you use a travel agent would they do it at booking?  It’s mind boggling that you wouldn’t be able to eat dinner in a MDR. Especially at Vikings prices. We are looking at the Great Lakes trip. We are booked for May 2023 Viking Mississippi and I’m worried. paid in full two years in advance!

Hi Treasure Hunter,

How far in advance you can make a reservation depends which category cabin you've booked. 

On Octantis:

• Nordic Balcony: 60 days
  • Deluxe Nordic Balcony: 60 days
  • Nordic Penthouse: 70 days
  • Nordic Junior Suite: 80 days
  • Explorer Suite: 90 days
  • Owner's Suite: n/a (you'll get your reservations)

The Mississippi ship is different, in that there's really only one sit-down restaurant, so I don't believe reservations are necessary (folks, correct me if I'm wrong; also, I'll be on that ship in June, so stay tuned!). 

A couple of other quick notes: We have found that if we're flexible with our times, we are able to dine where we want, no problem. We've heard this from fellow guests as well. Also, whereas on some ships, the buffet feels like a spot to dine if you absolutely are stuck with no place else to go, on Octantis, it is really a choice. The Grill is excellent, and the Sushi Bar is such a treat. We look forward to dining there. In fact, we've opted to eat there again tonight. 

You can book ahead of time through your travel agent or by going online to My Viking Journey when your window opens. Don't stress over reservations. Cancellations happen often onboard, and I think you'll end up with lots of opportunity to eat where you'd like.

Colleen

A few snaps from the past few days.

waffle.thumb.png.f8738fbb42a4d74fdb86bc08b17446a7.png

My favorite: A waffle from Mamsen's. Do you do the brunost brown goat cheese? I love it. My husband hates it. 

manfredis.thumb.png.0d0bf24922c82b8ff800faf3f45898d0.png

I adore the bistecca at Manfredi's. Yum!

books.thumb.png.86f8402d2ad733e518914c56379b7c91.png

We love that you can find books pretty much everywhere onboard. I started reading Endurance and have managed to make it through about 10 pages. I guess I will have to come back. 

338153867_diveboat.thumb.png.b0d11081e75e93d59c19f456d00e38ea.png

This dive boat, which is stored in The Hangar, is always in the water with the subs. 

sob.thumb.png.b77750939566886b274def095d7a272b.png

This is the special operations boat (sob) which can be loaded in The Hangar and sent out into the water for sightseeing. Each seat has shocks to prevent bouncing.

Temperature.thumb.png.aa2285fb00247ebcb1cbfb8a915fa91c.png

This is the temperature check station. There are several around the ship. Each day, you do a temp check. It uses facial recognition to make sure you've checked in.

Aquavit.thumb.png.b2a5439faf140273c8d22a3fb131597e.png

The Aquavit Terrace has a larger indoor-outdoor infinity pool, which is flanked by two smaller pools: A hot one and a cold-plunge pool. Make sure you check the signs before jumping in. Brr! 26682337_icecream.thumb.png.55f0afd8795f2e8a5199f545c6da21e8.png

New to Viking: A ice-cream mix-in station (similar to Cold Stone). Available at dinner in the World Cafe. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Editor Colleen said:

Hi Oh2Bcruising,

They did provide booties. You go down to the midships area where they store them and swap out your shoes for the neoprene booties. I suspect it is to help make the transit from Zodiac to sub easier, as they don't slip. The pants I wore actually were just my yoga pants. But I did get soaking wet on the ride over to the sub; I picked the side of the boat that got the splash. This wasn't a problem in the warm Caribbean waters; it would be moreso in the polar regions. There, Viking does provide a parka. Let me check on the pants, but in my experience sailing those regions, the cruise line provides waterproof pants, which are for borrowing (not keeping). 

We were a bit of a last-minute addition to this sailing, so we didn't get a packing list, though I'm told Viking does provide a pretty extensive list to guests for expedition cruises. 

I do my fair share of expedition cruising, and the pieces I always pack are designed to keep my stuff and me dry: waterproof bags, rain pants and rain coats, and seriously waterproof gloves. Once you get wet, you can't keep warm. That said, you'll note I didn't say boots. Most lines provide them for you, and I'm a firm believer in keeping my travel to a carryon only. (I have terrible luck with flying and bags, so it just works best for me.) 

Also, in Antarctic in particular, my advice is, use as much of the gear provided as possible. Bio security is very important in that region, and cruise lines make sure their boots, pants and other gear is clear of potential bio-contamination risks. 

Colleen

Thanks for the information. It’s greatly appreciated. BTW, tell hubby we enjoy his videos. 

59 minutes ago, Oh2Bcruisin said:

Thanks for the information. It’s greatly appreciated. BTW, tell hubby we enjoy his videos. 

Will do! I know he'll appreciate your kind words. ❤️ 

So it’s similar to Oceania. The better the stateroom , the earlier you can book your dining. But on Oceania that only applies to specialty restaurants. I’ll have to think about it. We just got off American Cruise lines ( Jacksonville to Charleston) and unlike the Columbia River trip on the Song that we really enjoyed, the food on the Independence was very poor. So that meant no Great Lakes trip with them . Considering Tauck also for Great Lakes. I guess I’ll see how the Mississippi goes.

6 hours ago, Iloveketo said:

We love your husband’sYouTube videos, also! 
I was so pleased to see your post here! 
It is the most informational post I have seen anywhere regarding the Octantis!

Thanks!

Thank you so much. (John also says thank you!)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

So it’s similar to Oceania. The better the stateroom , the earlier you can book your dining. But on Oceania that only applies to specialty restaurants. I’ll have to think about it. We just got off American Cruise lines ( Jacksonville to Charleston) and unlike the Columbia River trip on the Song that we really enjoyed, the food on the Independence was very poor. So that meant no Great Lakes trip with them . Considering Tauck also for Great Lakes. I guess I’ll see how the Mississippi goes.

Internet is laggy today, so apologies if this goes up more than once. A lot of premium/luxury lines take the same approach to reservations. I understand your concern, and while I think you'll be OK with reservations, I know it's a personal choice. 

I'm researching and writing a piece on Viking in the Great Lakes, which I'll post here when it's on the site. But in the meantime, check out this piece on who cruises to the Great Lakes from my colleague Chris. 

On 4/12/2022 at 6:19 PM, Editor Colleen said:

Hi ILoveKeto,

Don't give up hope; we had a 7 p.m. dinner in Manfredi's last night, and while they said the reservations were full, there were many empty tables. 

The Grill is in the World Cafe, and it's EXCELLENT! I am a fan of the upgrades to the space. Really solid!

Enjoy!

Colleen

I have been checking back often and someone must have canceled their reservation to The Restaurant… so I was able to book a table for two at 6:30! We already had one on another day for Manfredi’s. So, we didn’t even have to wait until we got to the ship!

We are all set except for excursions. Things are good!

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 4:42 AM, Editor Colleen said:

Hi everyone,

Cruise Critic is on Viking Octantis, which is currently sailing a one-off Caribbean cruise before it heads north for its Great Lakes season. I'm onboard until April 18 and am excited to answer any questions you might have about this ship. This is my first glimpse of this ship, and I want to share it with you. 

What are you dying to know about Viking Octantis?

Cheers!

Colleen McDaniel

Editor in Chief

Hi Colleen,

Just wondering if there were any Covid cases on board your cruise & how they were handled. Did the quarantine on board or need to leave the ship?

11 hours ago, Calgal66 said:

Hi Calgal66,

I didn't hear of any COVID cases onboard. If it happened, it happened quietly. We didn't hear any passengers chatting about any cases, which is where we tend to hear about it first. 🙂 

Colleen

Hi everyone,

We disembarked today after a wonderful cruise on Viking Octantis. I'm hanging out in Newark Airport finishing up some writing, so I thought I'd share this piece from the trip. Chairman Torstein Hagen boarded in San Juan, and we were kindly invited to join him for dinner. He gave away a little bit of info on what's next for Viking

I'm working on a Great Lakes piece, and my ship review should be on the site this week or early next. Spoiler: I REALLY liked this ship. 

Thanks for all the great questions. It was fun traveling with you all!

Colleen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone,

Cruise Critic is on Viking Octantis, which is currently sailing a one-off Caribbean cruise before it heads north for its Great Lakes season. I'm onboard until April 18 and am excited to answer any questions you might have about this ship. This is my first glimpse of this ship, and I want to share it with you. 

What are you dying to know about Viking Octantis?

Cheers!

Colleen McDaniel

Editor in Chief

Hi Colleen, I’ll be on the Octantis next week for Niagra Falls & The Great Lakes…maybe I’ll see you there!

• Like 1