Bora Bora - Patrick's Tour

Bora Bora – Fish, Food, and Fire: Patrick’s Tour (Post #16)

By The Inside Cabin on Apr 11, 2022 11:51 pm
Click "Show More Posts" to show all the links to the other posts for the 2022 South Pacific Cruise

Patrick Feature 1 of 1
Patrick

Will our experience with the Maohi Nui excursion (aka Patrick’s Tour) on Bora Bora match the hype?

BORA BORA – FISH, FIRE, and FOOD: PATRICK’s TOUR

Ever since we first cruised to the South Pacific, we have heard of the Maohi Nui Excursion better known simply as “Patrick’s Tour”.  As soon as you join a Cruise Critic roll call with Bora Bora on the itinerary, someone will probably have already taken charge of coordinating participation on Patrick’s tour.  The tour usually sells out instantly and if you are not one of the early bookers, then the waitlist is your only chance.  The tour usually operates with four boats each holding 12 people.

outrigger 770 1 of 1One of the four outriggers on Patrick’s tour 

By the time we booked this cruise, Patrick’s tour was long sold out and people were discussing their boat assignments and the details of the excursion.  We don’t normally book snorkeling tours, but since this cruise was predominantly in the South Pacific we took the plunge, went to a local San Diego dive shop, and picked up everything we would need to enjoy snorkeling:  Mask, Fins, and Snorkel.  We also got some dive boots, but when you wear fins, you don’t really need the dive boots.  And before the cruise had started, we had cleared the wait-list.

A few days ago on Taha’a (Raiatea) we jumped into the water for the first time and had a wonderful time on Bruno’s tour.  Nevertheless, we were looking forward to “Patricks Tour” as everyone we spoke with LOVED this tour and some said that Patrick’s Tour was simply the best cruise ship tour EVER.

That’s a high bar.

A PERFECT SUNRISE FOR A PERFECT DAY

Sunrise over Bora BoraSunrise over Bora Bora 

Bora Bora is a tender port, and the Tour starts early, around 8:00 AM.  Normally this requires getting up early to queue up for the first tender tickets.  This was our second day in Bora Bora so there wouldn’t be the usual rush for tender tickets on the second morning of an overnight visit.  Fortunately, our tour coordinator was able to arrange for our group of about 50 people to assemble in the Lincoln Center and then go ashore on a single tender.  You can’t always expect HAL to help get private tour groups consolidated onto a single tender, but they did in this case, and we appreciated it very much.

Once ashore, we all met near the water directly across the Bora Bora Visitors Center sidewalk.  Colorful Catamarans, with yellow hulls and red trim, raced across the harbor and moored alongside the dock.

PATRICK

Heifara “Patrick” Tairua jumped onto the dock, and we all gathered around.  Smiling and gesturing, Patrick flashed a wide smile and welcomed us to Bora Bora and his tour.  We quickly separated into our prearranged groups, and everyone found their Catamaran as they all moored at different spots.

We were in boat #4 with Driver, Terri, and his son, Pano.

crew singing 1 of 1Terri, and his son, Pano. 

Here is a map that shows the 6 stops along with the time at each stop.  Here is the breakdown of how we spent our time (times are approximate):

TOUR MAP

NOTE:   Total Time in boat transiting to the various stops:  3 Hours
Maximum time in the water at three snorkel stops:  1 ½ Hour
Maximum time in the water for two other water stops:  1 Hour
Time on the Motu:  1 ¾ Hour

Patrick's Tour MapMap of each stop with the approximate time 

STOP 1: BLACKTIP REEF SHARKS, BUTTERFLYFISH, AND MANTA RAYS

A few minutes before 8 AM Terri aimed our boat west and our outboard motor pushed us thru the water toward our first spot.  Patrick advised us earlier that due to sea conditions outside the reef, we would be staying closer to shore and would not see the larger Lemon Sharks.  Twenty-five minutes later Terri slowed our boat and started to circle, looking down into the water for sea creatures.  We meandered in the same area for about 15 minutes until Terri spotted some Manta Rays, slowed, and tossed out the anchor.

The water in this area was around 4-10feet deep, very warm, and had a noticeable current.  I recommend wearing fins as they will help you move around and tread water.

Blacktip Reef Sharks, Threadfin Butterfly Fish, and Manta Rays surrounded the snorkelers but ignored our presence.  Later I noticed that Terri was tossing some baitfish into the water which encouraged the fish to swarm around our boat.

Blacktip Reef Sharks and Threadfin Butterfly FishBlacktip Reef Sharks and Threadfin Butterfly Fish 

Terri attracted a Manta Ray and invited us to get near and run our hands along its back.  It was very firm, yet soft.

Surface Manta Ray 1 of 1Terri feeding a Manta Ray on the surfaceManta RayWe had a close encounter with a Manta Ray

There wasn’t a fixed time for us to stay in the water, but everyone seemed ready to get back in the boat after 30 minutes.

STOP 2: THE FISH ARE MY FRIENDS

Terri drove our boat in a counterclockwise direction around the island for about 45 minutes.  When we were established on a steady course, he would sing a song while playing his ukulele.  Unlike our first stop, where we circled for a while looking for sea life, for our second stop we headed directly to a predetermined location where we moored to an anchored buoy.  As we were preparing to go into the water, Terri passed out small chunks of French bread.  At first, I thought it may have been a midmorning snack, but then realized that we would feed this bread to the fish.

We were give bread to feed to the fishWe were given bread to feed the fish 

I stuck one piece of bread in my pocket while holding the other and climbed down the ladder into the water.  The water was between 5-15 feet deep and crystal clear – you could easily see the bottom.  The fish knew it was time to eat and we were swarmed with Threadfin Butterfly Fish and Blackspot Sergeant fish.  I was immediately the fish’s best friend – at least until I ran out of bread and then they were off looking for new friends nearby.

feeding fish 1 of 1These Blackspot Sergeant fish were my new friends – at least until the bread ran out. 

After the fish moved on but were still in the area, I had more time to examine the seabed.  Someone had spelled out “I LOVE BORA BORA” in stone on the bottom – neat!  We were back in the boat after 25 minutes and moved on to our next stop about 10 minutes away.

i love bora bora 1 of 1Spelled out in stone on the bottom of the lagoon at stop 2 

STOP 3: MANTA RAYS IN DEEPWATER

Unlike our first two spots, the water for our third stop was much deeper, over 20 feet in spots.  There weren’t any fish close to the surface, but I did spot a formation of Manta Rays moving quickly along the bottom.  I gave chase for a few minutes.  Another snorkeler was able to get a little closer as seen in this photograph.

deep manta rays 1 of 1These Manta Rays were scooting along the bottom of the deeper part of the Lagoon 

NOTE:  All of the underwater pictures were taken using a GoPro Hero 7 Black shooting video at 2K – I was able to grab some frames for still images later.

With such deep water and so few fish, we were all back in the boat after about 15 minutes.

STOP 4: THERAPEUTIC SAND BATH?

Our 4th stop was in waist-deep water with a silky sand bottom.  We were told that this location was not one of their regular stops but since we had to cancel going outside the reef, they substituted this stop instead.

P and J in water 1 of 1Judy and Pete enjoy the shallow water at stop 4 

There weren’t any fish here, but we did get out and stand in the water and use the fine sand as a poor man’s therapeutic sand bath.  Terri handed out beer and soft drinks that we enjoyed while standing in the warm, crystal-clear water under a perfect Sun.

Sand in hand 1 of 1Very fine sand in the shallow water. Some people rubbed it on their skin 

Twenty-five minutes later we were back in the boats and motored off to Patrick’s private MOTU for his special lunch and entertainment.

STOP 5: FOOD

We could walk off our boats onto the MOTU without getting our feet wet.  Patrick’s team had been here for hours getting ready and their activity picked up once we arrived.  Beer, wine, and soft drinks were available under a shelter.  People who had been here before were starting to chatter – “He’s going to open the oven!”  Patrick called out  that it was time to open the oven and everyone should gather around the covered pit, better known as a Tahitian Oven.  After some explanation of what happened earlier in the day, Patrick removed the large banana leaves covering the oven and exposed the suckling pig, chicken, plantain bananas, and more.  Patrick’s team gathered up the hot food and set up the buffet on long tables nearby.

Oven 1 of 1Patrick starts to open the Tahitian OvenOven B 1 of 1The food that was roasting all day in the Tahitian Oven is exposed

Lunch was served and we all grabbed large woven ‘plates’ with a banana leaf on top and started to move thru the buffet line.  “Eat with your hands” Patrick shouted with a smile and we all stopped looking for silverware.

Buffett Plate 770 1 of 1The buffet plates were made from Banana leaves 

Plenty of picnic tables surrounded the covered beverage area and we all enjoyed the fresh cooked Polynesian delicacies.  Wine, beer, and other beverages were available at no extra charge.

Buffett 770 1 of 1Patricks Tour buffet served on the MOTU 

Plenty of food was available if you wanted to refill your plate – but most people were satisfied with the large helpings served during their first trip thru the line.

Buffett Food Plate 770 1 of 1Grilled chicken, fish, and sides going on the banana leaf plate 

STOP 5: FIRE

It was time for the highlight of the Motu experience – The Fire Dance.

Patrick appeared bare-chested, with his hair pulled back taut, carrying a baton with wicks at each end that were soaked in a flammable fluid.  Patrick ignited the ends of the baton and started to twirl and dance, with a little fire-eating along the way.  As the flames began to dwindle, a helper from the audience helped him position the baton on his feet while he was lying on his back.  He extinguished the baton in the sand as he concluded the show with the audience’s enthusiastic applause.

Fire Dance 1 of 1Patrick amazed the guests with his fire danceFire Eating 1 of 1Patrick eating fire on the MOTU

Time for a little more wine before we headed back to the boats for our final stop.

STOP 6: WINE AND WATER

Our final stop was another shallow water wine tasting event.  The water was too shallow for snorkeling and there weren’t any fish in the area.  Patrick enjoyed pouring sparkling wine and telling stories of Bora Bora to a rapt audience.  All 4 boats were close enough so everyone could mingle in a central area.  Warm water, gentle breezes, nice wine, and great company were the perfect conclusion for our last water stop.

Final Water Stop 1 of 1No snorkeling but plenty of wine at our final water stop 

Thirty minutes later, Patrick’s four boats glided back into the harbor where we started, and our Maohi Nui Experience was sadly over.

CONCLUSION?

The Maohi Nui (Patrick’s Tour) was wonderful and exceeded our expectations.  Even if you don’t snorkel, you will have a wonderful time riding in the lagoon and enjoying the shallow water stops.  The food and the MOTU along with the Fire Dance were a bonus.

Patrick’s Tour?  A perfect blend of food and fun – Don’t miss it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a bit of help  ... hopefully

I've known Patrick for 3 decades .... back in the days when he simply did fire dancing at the resorts. Solid tour .... I've taken almost all the major lagoon tours, Patrick is good if you want the traditional outrigger experience and the piggy's in the ground oven plus the entertainment .... there are other tours that focus on some other things and for people who want a different experience. Pure Snorkeling is the best for quickly getting around to the best snorkel stops ... usually 4 great snorkel stops all wrapped up in half a day. Rannui is a local Polynesian family which I adore. You go to several snorkeling places including the giant Mantas, circumnavigate the lagoon and a wonderful stop for a BBQ with clean bathrooms .... at a great price 😉

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Just a bit of help  ... hopefully

I've known Patrick for 3 decades .... back in the days when he simply did fire dancing at the resorts. Solid tour .... I've taken almost all the major lagoon tours, Patrick is good if you want the traditional outrigger experience and the piggy's in the ground oven plus the entertainment .... there are other tours that focus on some other things and for people who want a different experience. Pure Snorkeling is the best for quickly getting around to the best snorkel stops ... usually 4 great snorkel stops all wrapped up in half a day. Rannui is a local Polynesian family which I adore. You go to several snorkeling places including the giant Mantas, circumnavigate the lagoon and a wonderful stop for a BBQ with clean bathrooms .... at a great price 😉

Thanks for the comment.   I  would appreciate any links to the other tours you mentioned.   You can email me here:  connect@theinsidecabin.com

H2O Bora Bora is outstanding. The best I have done on any of the islands. If you are a snorkeler it it surpasses all. I've done Patrick's, Pure Snokeling, Lagoon Service and Tohora Bora Bora and while they are all wonderful in their own way, H2O BB is a snorkelers paradise.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Petoonya said:

H2O Bora Bora is outstanding. The best I have done on any of the islands. If you are a snorkeler it it surpasses all. I've done Patrick's, Pure Snokeling, Lagoon Service and Tohora Bora Bora and while they are all wonderful in their own way, H2O BB is a snorkelers paradise.

Does H2O  go to different spots?   Or do they not offer the MOTU and shallow water stand in the water stuff - which while very entertaining - is not snorkeling...Thanks for the tips on the others...

13 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Does H2O  go to different spots?   Or do they not offer the MOTU and shallow water stand in the water stuff - which while very entertaining - is not snorkeling...Thanks for the tips on the others...

H2O BB goes all over the lagoon- mostly deep water. I've never seen quite so many fish as I have with them. Manta rays, leopard rays, eagle rays, lemon sharks, of course lovable stingrays, but it's unbelievable the numbers of fish. The other nice thing is that their boats only accommodate either 4 or 6 so they can do/see whatever you'd like, prices still same or less than other providers.Very, very nice people too,

https://www.boraborah2o.com/index.html

Incidentally, I do agree with you. Standing in waist deep water with mask and snorkel is not really snorkeling. With H2O BB there is no motu stuff- just actual deep water,  free snorkeling. They don't do the lunch thing if you choose all day- their thing is just snorkeling. If you choose all day they drop you at a terrific restaurant at Matira Beach and pick you up about 1pm for more fun. The half day is $110, pretty darn reasonable for BB. The other nice thing is that with a small group you can stay at any area for as long as you like.

To FlightMedic555, we saw a manta ray with H2O BB that was 20 feet across! It's hard to tell how big fish are with refraction but I trust our guide. It looked 50 feet to me!

Edited by Petoonya

16 hours ago, FlightMedic555 said:

Just for clarity the rays you have pictures are not manta rays.  Manta rays are huge, 10-14 feet in diameter.

Sounds like you had a great day. 

What kind are they?  I want to correct my website 

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

Manta rays are also known as devil fish for the two "horns" coming out of their heads. Look like Batman. Hard to tell if the rays in the photo are a goodly distance away from the photographer and only 8-10 feet wide, or what kind of rays they are. Maybe if the photographer was told they were manta rays they really are. Just taken from a 40 foot depth maybe?

On 4/15/2022 at 5:31 AM, Petoonya said:

H2O BB goes all over the lagoon- mostly deep water. I've never seen quite so many fish as I have with them. Manta rays, leopard rays, eagle rays, lemon sharks, of course lovable stingrays, but it's unbelievable the numbers of fish. The other nice thing is that their boats only accommodate either 4 or 6 so they can do/see whatever you'd like, prices still same or less than other providers.Very, very nice people too,

https://www.boraborah2o.com/index.html

my friend used them also did you ever do the scuba with them?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys!  I finally located you 🙂  (Inside Cabin)

Silly question:  Does HAL still supply the 1.75 of Elemis BAR SOAP?  We much prefer bar soap (and will bring some) but is any offered these days or just the liquid soap?  THANKS   Happy sailing everyone

• 2 months later...
On 4/15/2022 at 5:41 AM, Petoonya said:

Incidentally, I do agree with you. Standing in waist deep water with mask and snorkel is not really snorkeling. With H2O BB there is no motu stuff- just actual deep water,  free snorkeling. They don't do the lunch thing if you choose all day- their thing is just snorkeling. If you choose all day they drop you at a terrific restaurant at Matira Beach and pick you up about 1pm for more fun. The half day is $110, pretty darn reasonable for BB. The other nice thing is that with a small group you can stay at any area for as long as you like.

To FlightMedic555, we saw a manta ray with H2O BB that was 20 feet across! It's hard to tell how big fish are with refraction but I trust our guide. It looked 50 feet to me!

Is there still a bus that goes from the cruise ship to Matira beach, with a stop at the restaurant Bloody Mary's????  In 2011 we took it to bloody Mary's and had a great lunch.    I am waitlisted on Patrick's tour, but if that doesn't work out, I may just head to Matira beach and spend the day there...

I  don't know about the stop at Bloody Mary's. I'm going to taxi to Matira Beach hang out, and do taxi on the way back. I may be entirely wrong but you may want to consider taxi to  BM's, then taxi to Matira and return taxi. I leave in 12 days for 21 days in Tahiti- whoppeee! I'll write lots on my return. :-)

@Hflors

I hate to use up so much space but this is important. 😃 Not just you but so many others looking for Matira beach visit. This is from someone who visited last fall/winter and it's fantastic! We leave for an 18 day cruise on Windstar in 10 days and have a total of 4 days in BB- so going to do it. Have been to Matira beach several times via catamaran for just short periods never all day. This looks perfect!

>

Just off the WS Breeze, we spent our first day in Bora making our own independent plans

We easily found a taxi in port, Duaro from Bora (lol) for $20 USD (or 2000 FPC), took the 10 min ride to Matira Beach, using a towel from the ship, we walked the sandy beach, swam in the ocean, interacted with locals and doggies 

Then we walked 10 min for a private guided paddle boarding, we booked independently, right by the IC Moana, I can't remember the co, but it's self owned and the guide, Evan, is terrific, it was also 'inexpensive' at 8,000 FFC each 

Then we walked 10 min back to the beach and had a scrumptious local Tahitian Tuna sampler at the Beach Club which we would highly recommend, not to mention the post meal Creme Brûlée and or Eclair was to die for, so yes the food on WS Breeze was way way above average, and free/included, but unlike PG it's in short supply of authentic local Tahitian food, so this was one of the best lunches, and an authentic one to boot, on our vacation, I mean the poisson cru, sashimi, etc was incredible, not to mention the patio view...     

Then back to the beach, where there was a shop you could easily rent kayaks, water scooters, jet ski's, or paddle boards, but we just hung out, on our ship towels, our mindset was it was a day of leisure, we diverted the money we would spend go a ship excursion to a local lunch, and private paddle board, and more lounged, while time stopped so to speak 

There were a handful of fellow independent cruisers from WS there too but I would think most WS pax were likely on ship excursions which did not include stops at Matira though a drive by Trolley with about 20-30 WS folks did stop for about 10 minutes 🙂 

We called Dauro from Bora by cell to pick us up, same fare, back to the port

Great day, and on day 2 we went back to the cruise excursions and did a fab afternoon jet ski around Bora with Moana Adventures, (we could have booked direct but got lazy) and that was a major excursion hilight of our cruise, but we loved the Matira beach day/paddke board on our own just as much, the mix of both worked, and we felt like gypsy beach bums away from other cruiser

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hflors,

May I ask on what day you are waitlisted for Patrick’s tour on Bora Bora?  

We will be in port on October 25 and have not been able to confirm with them.  In June, Vaitiare responded that there were no bookings for that date, but after several attempts we have not been able to confirm a booking.  How did you contact Patrick’s Tour?  We tried both emails and on line reservation forms.  I would appreciate any help.  

Anne Marie