Bar Harbor shore excursions

ceo418

When I was looking at shore excursions for our 9/15 cruise on Adventure of the Seas, I noticed that the one I had hoped to go on in Bar Harbor, a driving tour up Cadillac Mountain, is already sold out. I did look up tours in Bar Harbor, and saw that a local company offers a 2.5 hour tour from their office just a few blocks away from the pier. Is there a good chance that more excursions will open up in the next few months that go through Acadia National Park? Should I take a chance on booking a non-Royal Caribbean tour?  Thanks for any advice!

• Like 1

There is also a free bus service that does loops around the island, with stops at several locations along the way. (Unfortunately, I can't remember the name.  Perhaps someone can help with information about the routes.)  It runs multiple times a day, and can be boarded just a few blocks up from the ship tender area.

16 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Just keep in mind your dates. Bar harbor is a seasonal town. 

I'm currently on a ship docking there tomorrow trying to figure out why.

What is your itinerary?  If Bar Harbor is the first US port, then it is to clear immigration at an uncrowded port.  But, yes, the sidewalks are just getting rolled out in Bar Harbor these days.

There is Ollie's Trollies for tours of Acadia, and the free Island Explorer bus (sponsored by LL Bean).

The one time we went to Cadillac Mountain, in the fall, the fog was so thick you couldn't see 20 feet.  We did a schooner sail there, went around and among the islands, saw eagles, Cadillac Mt. from the sea, quite nice.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

What is your itinerary?  If Bar Harbor is the first US port, then it is to clear immigration at an uncrowded port.  But, yes, the sidewalks are just getting rolled out in Bar Harbor these days.

There is Ollie's Trollies for tours of Acadia, and the free Island Explorer bus (sponsored by LL Bean).

The one time we went to Cadillac Mountain, in the fall, the fog was so thick you couldn't see 20 feet.  We did a schooner sail there, went around and among the islands, saw eagles, Cadillac Mt. from the sea, quite nice.

Itinerary was Boston/Bermuda. Ncl started adding bar harbor instead of the second sea day on the way back. We weren't aware we were stopping until on the ship. 

I have enjoyed ollie's trolley before, but alas not running yet. Even the lobster pound by the pier isn't open yet. Add in that is raining, the stop today makes no sense. I can't believe it was easier to send immigration officials down from Bangor to clear us versus Logan.

You can also book directly with Acadia National Park. We've done their bus tour and it was great.

We've also done a private tour with some from our roll call...At Your Service Tours..wonderful.

Apparently Ollie scrambled to get a trolley for yesterday. I was sitting with some people who said they did the tour solely to warm up since they couldn't return to the ship yet since immigration was still going on. Reports were that the town wasn't ready yet, as I expected. 

• 1 month later...

We leave out of Boston on 9/18 on Voyager and the cruise ship excursions to Acadia that we are eligible for are all sold out, too.  Hoping they'll open more up but I've been trying to find alternatives without much success except for the free shuttle busses.  

On 5/25/2022 at 5:21 PM, DPFamCruise said:

We leave out of Boston on 9/18 on Voyager and the cruise ship excursions to Acadia that we are eligible for are all sold out, too.  Hoping they'll open more up but I've been trying to find alternatives without much success except for the free shuttle busses.  

Funny you should say that. We booked our excursions on Sunday and yesterday got an email cancelling our Bar Harbor excursion.  I just looked on line to see what other options and there is NO listing for Portland OR Bar Harbor now.  The sailing still shows those as ports, but NO excursions.  Anyone experience this yet?  (fyi, I posted on my roll call but not getting any replies.

Erika

We are on the same cruise, although a different date, and just booked a private tour with Oli’s.  After 20 cruises, we never book ship tours - too expensive and too many people in the groups.

13 hours ago, birdylady said:

Funny you should say that. We booked our excursions on Sunday and yesterday got an email cancelling our Bar Harbor excursion.  I just looked on line to see what other options and there is NO listing for Portland OR Bar Harbor now.  The sailing still shows those as ports, but NO excursions.  Anyone experience this yet?  (fyi, I posted on my roll call but not getting any replies.

Erika

When are you going?

6 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

That's the issue. You are at the end of the season for Bar Harbor. Things will be shutting down by then.

Kinda surprised since cruises are scheduled there for another month.  And isn’t that still peak leaf peeping time?  I know the weather will be cooling by then (actually my favorite weather time in New England).

thanx

Erika

Bar Harbor is a seasonal town. The season is usually Memorial Day through Columbus Day. After Labor Day things will start shutting down since there just aren't the crowds. I've never heard of people going to Bar Harbor for leaf peeping. 

On 5/28/2022 at 6:20 PM, 1025cruise said:

That's the issue. You are at the end of the season for Bar Harbor. Things will be shutting down by then.

I'm going to disagree...Our port stops there both in early October have been amazing...Nothing was closed and the weather and fall colors were perfect !!

12 hours ago, Ashland said:

I'm going to disagree...Our port stops there both in early October have been amazing...Nothing was closed and the weather and fall colors were perfect !!

What did you do? Besides Acadia?

4 hours ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

What did you do? Besides Acadia?

After the tour we walked around the beautiful town of Bar Harbor and had an amazing lunch.

Nothing else needed at this port stop.