Covid Testing Information

Would a pinned topic be helpful?

As this is part of our current reality and travel planning, would it be convenient to have one place to post and answer questions, as opposed to scanning through pages and topics?

One would be able to jump to the latest info and/or search the topic to see whether or not the information they need has been posted. 

Folks can also post the latest news, updates, links as it is rolled out: when/where/how to get tests, time tables, airlines, hotels, port, etc. 

Let's have the yeahs and nays please! Thanks in advance.

• Like 3

There's a whole lot of variables, including...................

- The requirements of the different cruiselines

- The requirements of different departure countries

- The testing facilities in different departure ports, particularly for post-cruise extension or travel home or onward.

- The requirements of the ports-of-call, often in a number of different countries

- The requirements of the cruiser's home country.

- The different countries' vaccination exemptions, including those by reason of age or health

- Whether & when the cruiser was vaccinated, and whether & when they've had booster/s

- The nationality of the cruiser (or more likely, where they were vaccinated and which country they've travelled from or already-visited on their cruise)

- the different countries and cruise lines' variations in whether / which / when vaccinated, and whether / which type / when tested.

And for all the above, requirements are frequently changing.

One's circumstances are unlikely to match the circumstances of the questioner, and wrong or incomplete or out-of-date information given in good faith can screw-up  a cruiser's entire cruise.

The only advice I've been able to give on Cruise Critic is for my circumstances as a double-vaccinated Brit. flying to Spain just over a week before I answered, and for the locations of different Covid test facilities in my home port

I think perhaps a sticky suggesting that Covid questions should be directed to the cruise line and the governments of the various ports, with members being asked only as a last-hope for info that can't be found.

Just MHO as always

JB 🙂

• Like 2

I agree with JB. One thread on the multiple variables across several countries is a tall order. He and I ‘ran’ a couple of threads on the UK requirements (more accurately, England requirements) primarily aimed at our US readers and it was hard work to keep up to date. 

Or  highlight the IATA Timatac clickable world map of COVID restrictions - https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php The underlying information is relied on by much of the travel industry. 

And advice on what to include in a post if asking for information or advice (there is a current thread where lack of information about vaccination status is confusing):

- countries of departure, arrival and recent travel

- nationality and residence

- vaccination status (and dates - the common 270 day restriction after final dose will start to kick in this year for most vaccinated folk)

- length of stay and onward travel details

Edited by Cotswold Eagle
Typo
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Or  highlight the IATA Timatac clickable world map of COVID restrictions - https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php The underlying information is relied on by much of the travel industry. 

Good spot, my feathered friend.🙂

You are likely to see me linking that website (plus checking requirements & restrictions of the cruise line) in short replies to Covid questions.

That'd be more reliable & up-to-date, and IATA can be sued instead of John Bull or the Cotswold Eagle 😀

JB 🙂

• Haha 1

I can find out from either the internet, my TA, or my cruiseline what the requirements are. What I'd like is recommendations for *where* I can get a test in London (or what ever cruise port I'm embarking from) the day before I cruise.

My two cent's worth (or it a lot more these days?)

• Like 3

Thanks for the input everyone, and I absolutely  hear you JB and Eagle.

I guess the thinking was, as with the transportation topic that is pinned, the topic would help reduce the volume of new topics popping up and therefore filling up the page when you come to the forum, which means clicking through several pages to find other conversations.

Not a huge effort, clicking through, I know. And indeed, many different types of testing issues to grapple with. So the thinking isn't so much we can create an encyclopedic reference (if only!) but perhaps something of a centralized place to collect/consolidate the information. 

Many folks might instinctively click to more recent pages (aka "last page" tab) on compilation threads, rather than go through each page, especially with a discussion that had a fluid narrative, such as this one does. 

Let's see. Maybe it'll be helpful for finding tests, obtaining other info, etc. And with an important caveat to verify/confirm the info obtained is in fact still current by the time of departure/embarkation. 

Appreciate the helpful comments and thoughts, as always 🙂 

• Like 4

On 4/16/2022 at 6:20 PM, PurpleHays said:

I can find out from either the internet, my TA, or my cruiseline what the requirements are. What I'd like is recommendations for *where* I can get a test in London (or what ever cruise port I'm embarking from) the day before I cruise.

My two cent's worth (or it a lot more these days?)

We are using Randox Health.  Clinics all over  London, UK and Ireland.  Randox performs all kinds of other tests.

https://covid.randox.com

I found them on the US Embassy in Dublin’ site.  The Embassy doesn’t  recommend any, just list them.  So if you are looking at a different country try the US Embassy sites.  

Also this  site.  Seems some options are expensive, though. 

https://testfortravel.com/covid-19-testing-locations/?page=1&coordinates=51.50015%2C-0.12624&location=London%2C United Kingdom&proximity=50&action=filter_locations

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SandyR5 said:

Where in Amsterdam can we get tested?  

Please see spoedtest dot nl  They have 12 locations in Amsterdam. As I do not know wehere you will stay I cannot suggest the nearest location.  Enjoy your stay and your cruise.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 9:18 AM, tony s said:

Spoke with Cunard just now. We are coming in a day early on 7/23 for a 7/24 cruise. Where in Southampton can we arrange and get paperwork for rapid test?

The Regenerative Clinic in the West Quay Centre conducts Rapid Antigen Tests.  The website is www.theregenerativeclinic.co.uk.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 4:34 PM, SandyR5 said:

Thanks. - Staying at Movenpick this trip. Also stayed at Banks Mansion a few times. 

From Movenpick the nearest test locations of spoedtest are : Prins Hendrikkade 176 and Prinsengracht 13.  Prins Hendrikkade is open from 9-21.  Prinsengracht closes halfway the afternoon.

Any idea how much Randox walk-in quick tests cost in London? I searched the site and can find clinics but have been unable to find a price. We’re hoping requirements will change before October, but we’d like to be prepared.

14 hours ago, Tonopah said:

Any idea how much Randox walk-in quick tests cost in London? I searched the site and can find clinics but have been unable to find a price. We’re hoping requirements will change before October, but we’d like to be prepared.

If you start a booking, the price appears when you select a location and type of test.  

It’s not clear what you mean by “quick”. Rapid antigen or results back quickly? But a RAT with results in 60 minutes is showing at £35 currently. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

If you start a booking, the price appears when you select a location and type of test.  

It’s not clear what you mean by “quick”. Rapid antigen or results back quickly? But a RAT with results in 60 minutes is showing at £35 currently. 

Thank you. I did mean results back quickly as we are flying in from the U.S. and need tests prior to embarkation the following day. I did try to make a dummy booking on the website but it didn’t work so I truly appreciate you taking the time to check it out and help me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tonopah said:

Thank you. I did mean results back quickly as we are flying in from the U.S. and need tests prior to embarkation the following day. I did try to make a dummy booking on the website but it didn’t work so I truly appreciate you taking the time to check it out and help me.

Lloyds Pharmacies offer in-store fit-to-travel antigen tests by appointment at most of their pharmacies, £29.99,. Results / certification in about 20 minutes.

https://lloydspharmacy.com/pages/covid-test-for-travel

Click thro to "book appointment" for a list of stores and enter the post-code (zipcode) of your hotel for the nearest one. 

Boots Pharmacies offer much the same for £30, but at a limited number of their stores.

https://www.boots.com/services/covid-19-testing/covid-19-rapid-test-service

Start off by scrolling down to Click here for the full list of stores which currently offer this service near the bottom of the page

Most ships offer the same at the cruise terminal on embarkation day, costs more.

JB  🙂

• Thanks 1

Thank you. I’ve found both a Randox clinic and a Lloyd’s Pharmacy within walking distance of our hotel. Hoping everything changes before our holiday but it is nice to have a plan.

• Like 1

Revived an email with a link for supervised antigen tests for 5 day Belgium and Netherlands sampler on the 15 May 22 departing Southampton, from Princess costing £30. 
Cost of booking a PCR test locally will cost £69, so this is of interest.

Has anyone else has booked these supervised tests?

On 5/2/2022 at 8:33 AM, tracie17 said:

Revived an email with a link for supervised antigen tests for 5 day Belgium and Netherlands sampler on the 15 May 22 departing Southampton, from Princess costing £30. 
Cost of booking a PCR test locally will cost £69, so this is of interest.

Has anyone else has booked these supervised tests?

Just to clarify ............

The "supervised" or "observed" £30 rapid antigen test offered via Princess' link is a self-administered test done at home (or somewhere else with video-link) while being supervised by live video. It's fine if you have - and are confident with - the technology of a video-link and the efficiency of the test provider.

The going rate for a supervised antigen test starts from around £20

As per your post, the supervised test linked by Princess is £30, which is also the going rate in the UK for a rapid antigen test administered in-store by a clinician, the time-scale is broadly the same as a video-supervised test.

Several in-store locations in Southampton, doubtless in populated areas of Scotland too - see my previous post.

Since you can take the test up to 2 or 3 days before the sailing, it's best to do it before you travel to Southampton, in order to travel with confidence.  

Every source that I've seen for both in-store and video-supervised tests says that an appointment is required. 

If  my reading of Princess' website is correct, they are continuing  to also provide antigen testing at the cruise terminal for €60, I don't know whether that needs to be pre-booked.

Apologies if I'm teaching grannie to suck eggs, but a PCR test is a totally different animal - the sample has to be tested in a laboratory, so the price can't be compared to an antigen test.

The cost varies wildly from around £70 to £200+, mainly dependent on how quickly a result is needed.

Whether a PCR test is needed or the simpler & cheaper antigen test is good enough depends on a number of factors including the cruiser's vaccination history, the requirements of the destination countries, and the requirements of the cruise-line.

Princess' "cruise health" FAQ page for Southampton sailings sets out the requirements very simply and clearly.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/uk-southampton-cruises/ 

JB 🙂

Thank you for your response.

I’ve ordered these tests via Princess. Due to arrive tomorrow.

Our cruise departs next Sunday, so plenty time to book appointment.

Not decided whether to book video slot for Friday or Saturday.

Would say I’m ok with technology.

Reading email from test supplier it seems to be straightforward.

As you say, if all else fails we can do it on arrival.

Unsure about how you would book this, but I imagine it will be extremely busy.

This was the reason I decided on the home supervised tests.

Find it all a bit stressful.

Oh for the days, when you arrived with your printed out boarding pass and passport.