Delays due to Testing in Ashdod or Haifa

roothy123

Cruise ships are now allowed in the Israeli ports of Ashdod and Haifa.  However, I've heard from passengers on two of the ships which visited in April so far that passengers didn't get off the ships until almost 3 PM due to administration of PCR tests.  If you've traveled on a cruise ship in April (Silversea, NCL, Oceania, Viking, MSC or possibly others) could you please let me know what your experience was, including if you were the only cruise ship in port that day and about how many passengers were on board?   I need to juggle some things if our ship experiences such a delay so I'm trying to get an idea of when we'll likely be free to go off the ship.   

• 3 weeks later...

It was published today in local media that starting May 20th there will be no more arrival PCR tests for passengers entering Israel by air. Furthermore, foreigners' pre-departure test doesn't have to be a PCR test, but can be an antigen test as long as it was taken up to 24 hours before departure.

Nothing so far about changes in regulation for entry by sea or land. It seems that what drove this decision was the Airport Authority wanting to reclaim the large operation area taken over by the Ministry of Health in TLV airport to facilitate the testing operation, in light of the extremely fast rising passenger volumes. However a drop in the positivity rate of these tests also contributed. The MOH reserves the right to reinstate mandatory arrival testing if the situation changes - e.g. if a new variant of concern appears (positive test samples collected at arrival points go though DNA sequencing to monitor for variants appearing in the country).

So I think that if the situation will continue as-is, there is a good chance that there will be relaxations in the policy for cruise ships down the line.

I'm currently on Oceania Sirena, headed to Rhodes, Greece tomorrow and Paphos, Cyprus the next day.  The next day we will arrive in Haifa at 6 AM.  We've been told that the testing is likely to take until 3 PM, and nobody can go off the ship (currently 420 on board) until all tests are back and everyone has also gone through immigration in the port terminal.  So everyone is losing one day of touring.  I personally spent several hours doing forms for Israel, and the independent tour provider I had planned to tour with had to do a lot of shuffling to be able to at least give us a full day in Jerusalem while we're there.  If I had to do it over again, I may not have decided to jump through all these hoops for just one country.  Some people have already said "enough" and plan to stay on the ship.  However, they are still required to do two sets of forms, so they'll still be spending time on something with little reward.  

I hope Israel decides to relax their requirements for everyone soon, as it has disappointed, frustrated and lost money for many people in Isral and other countries alike.

Our cruise that stops in Haifa and Ashdod is not until next year. It must be very disappointing to lose one day of touring.  Let's hope the Government relaxes their entry requirements for cruise ships soon as it will be a deterrent for many whose itinerary includes Israel.

42 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

Let's hope the Government relaxes their entry requirements for cruise ships soon as it will be a deterrent for many whose itinerary includes Israel.

The health ministry has just announced that starting May 20 2022 there will no longer be mandatory pcr tests for those arriving at Ben Gurion Airport.

In addition, starting this Tuesday May 10,  2022 non Israelis or a class visa holders will be allowed to take a lab based antigen within 24 hours of takeoff to Israel instead of a pcr within 72 hours of takeoff.

Check the Israel  Ministry of Health web site  for official statement.

5 hours ago, pikwe012 said:

The health ministry has just announced that starting May 20 2022 there will no longer be mandatory pcr tests for those arriving at Ben Gurion Airport.

In addition, starting this Tuesday May 10,  2022 non Israelis or a class visa holders will be allowed to take a lab based antigen within 24 hours of takeoff to Israel instead of a pcr within 72 hours of takeoff.

Check the Israel  Ministry of Health web site  for official statement.

Yes Post #3 above stated this information and we are all hoping changes for cruises happens.

MOH now clarfiied that post arrival PCR testing will no longer be required for arrivals by sea and land as well by air. Furthermore wearing masks won't be required anymore inside airports and cruise terminals. The link in the previous post reflects that.

It is still required to fill the incoming passenger locator form. However given the latest change to regulations it is kinda pointless, so it will likely be cancelled too after the next review of the parliamentary comission.

Good news for the tourism industry and travellers. With that, virtually all COVID related regulations in Israel (except isolation for positive cases) are no longer.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So no more virus delays when getting off the ship at Ashdod and Haifa.

How about passports, I've read on other older threads here that Israel wants to examine each person with passport, which takes hours to process a ship full of people.

10 hours ago, mpk said:

So no more virus delays when getting off the ship at Ashdod and Haifa.

How about passports, I've read on other older threads here that Israel wants to examine each person with passport, which takes hours to process a ship full of people.

Well, I don't know how many passports they examined and when, but doing that is not unheard of when cruising.  I remember we had to do that for one country in the South Pacific, where we lined up and did a face to face.  But in Israel we had to turn in our passports to Oceania the evening before, and then got them back the next evening.  So apparently Israel looked at them on the first day we were there (in Haifa).  But when each one of us went to the terminal, all we had to do was line up for an immigration check (and possibly quick photo, but I forget!) and show them or tell them something, and Oceania took care of any passport inspection requirements.  Now that testing isn't required, I don't know what they're doing. But I certainly would expect that they're doing SOMETHING with passports.

13 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Well, I don't know how many passports they examined and when, but doing that is not unheard of when cruising.  I remember we had to do that for one country in the South Pacific, where we lined up and did a face to face.  But in Israel we had to turn in our passports to Oceania the evening before, and then got them back the next evening.  So apparently Israel looked at them on the first day we were there (in Haifa).  But when each one of us went to the terminal, all we had to do was line up for an immigration check (and possibly quick photo, but I forget!) and show them or tell them something, and Oceania took care of any passport inspection requirements.  Now that testing isn't required, I don't know what they're doing. But I certainly would expect that they're doing SOMETHING with passports.

That I've experienced before.  Turn in the passports overnight, and you them back.  Pretty easy.

But what is happening lately is more than that, apparently.  They want to individually examine each cruiser in person, at which time you present your passport for inspection.  Hence the long lines and missed excursions.

Edited by mpk

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 11:30 AM, IgKh said:

MOH now clarfiied that post arrival PCR testing will no longer be required for arrivals by sea and land as well by air. Furthermore wearing masks won't be required anymore inside airports and cruise terminals. The link in the previous post reflects that.

It is still required to fill the incoming passenger locator form. However given the latest change to regulations it is kinda pointless, so it will likely be cancelled too after the next review of the parliamentary comission.

Good news for the tourism industry and travellers. With that, virtually all COVID related regulations in Israel (except isolation for positive cases) are no longer.

The Passenger Locator Form is finally also being scrapped. Passengers arriving starting next Sunday (October 9th 2022) no longer need to submit it.

• Like 1