Is Paxlovid or Molnupiravir pills available on board?

drcpas

In the unlikely case that one contracted covid while cruising, does anyone know if Paxlovid or Molnupiravir pills are stocked on board.  The Pfizer TV ads playing in the US are saying its somewhat like Tamiflu with the flu virus, in that you have only 3-5 days after symptoms to take the pills to kill (?) the virus.  My good friend was a cruise nurse for several years but is retired now and didn't know.  Friends here in Seattle have used Paxlovid and say its a game changer.  My guess is if it is available it will cost you dearly, but just wondering if Azamara has it.  

Seriously doubt it. I took it when I contracted COVID and my physician had to prescribe it. A government program paid for it. The only side effect I had was a horrible metallic taste in my mouth for the 5 days I took it . I tested negative on day 5 after testing positive. My husband, who did not have the antivirals, tested negative on day 7. You would still have to isolate 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr H said:

As a physician, I carry my own stash of meds. I've seen people unable to get a tylenol/paracetamol on board, much less an antiviral!

I was going to ask my Dr. for a dose just in case for upcoming month long of travel on Azamara and in Greece.   Do you think he can swing it?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2022 at 9:58 AM, Dr H said:

As a physician, I carry my own stash of meds. I've seen people unable to get a tylenol/paracetamol on board, much less an antiviral!

So will you be carrying the COVID antiviral?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 1:26 PM, harrodsfan said:

Does anyone have a current answer to this question? Are the antiviral drugs available in the ship if one tests positive?? 

I haven’t found many places that have it as they are still in short supply.  My drug coverage has already stated that just having a mild case of COVID isn’t enough to qualify for the drug!  I’m an excellent candidate, but I doubt I can get it for a first aid kit.  I can’t imagine the ship carrying those either.  I had wondered if they were still using rememdir.  

Take a look at the contraindications for these pills on the real medical sites that the doctors use as opposed to the sites that push these pills.  No ship doctor is going to give out these pills w/o appropriate testing which they will not be able to do on board.

DON

42 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Take a look at the contraindications for these pills on the real medical sites that the doctors use as opposed to the sites that push these pills.  No ship doctor is going to give out these pills w/o appropriate testing which they will not be able to do on board.

DON

Yes, hence why in the UK these drugs cannot be used except under very strict supervision.  Its not a case of carrying a pack with you like ibuprofen.  I would expect if your condition warrants them you would be medically evacuated from the ship.

To be effective, Paxlovid has to be started within 4-5 days of first real symptoms, so patients may not be in serious condition by that time.  The key thing is to be able to ensure there are no serious contra-indications (e.g, satisfactory kidney function, no forbidden heart meds, etc.).  I was given the third degree before it was prescribed for me.  The idea was to prevent serious issues.  If you already had serious issues, it would be too late for Paxlovid to be effective.

• Thanks 1

Our dr gave us a prescription but told us to check with medical personnel before using. We are oldish but have no reason to not take it. She just wanted it to be available if we needed it on the high seas. A friend just tested positive with symptoms and so far her dr hasn’t prescribed it as it is a relatively mild case.   Nasal spray is what she has been prescribed and cough syrup. Everyone is different. 

1 hour ago, harrodsfan said:

Our dr gave us a prescription but told us to check with medical personnel before using. We are oldish but have no reason to not take it. She just wanted it to be available if we needed it on the high seas. A friend just tested positive with symptoms and so far her dr hasn’t prescribed it as it is a relatively mild case.   Nasal spray is what she has been prescribed and cough syrup. Everyone is different. 

If you are 'oldish' and not taking any of the drugs that have bad interactions with these Covid drugs – lucky you!  Hypertension and GERD drugs are on the list.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, harrodsfan said:

I think you might struggle to access supplies unsupervised (eg in a non hospital environment) in most of Europe - just be aware of that