Oceania Riviera Cruise Notes April 4-15 2022

BellaOnline

I usually get the Mozzarella/Tomato appy in Toscana  & never had it stacked  🤔

I see the new menu describes  it as "tower of  "  now    I guess that was a clue on the presentation 😉

19 hours ago, BellaOnline said:

Just to contrast a bit, here is the caprese salad I had on day 1 at the Toscana specialty restaurant. I eat a LOT of caprese salads and make them for myself at home quite often. So I've had a variety of styles. I found the tomatoes on this to be bland and pale. There wasn't much basil. Also, the tower construction meant it was a pain to have to 'disassemble' to eat it. There wasn't enough added 'prettiness' in the tower to make up for the hassle trying to dismantle it to eat it. And as much as I can often adore 'smears' of decorative liquid on the plate, in this case it just wasn't appealing. It could easily seem like I'm being picky. In my defense, the Oceania Riviera wasn't touted as a floating chain restaurant. It was touted as the best restaurant anywhere on the high seas. And I saw this and thought, huh...

day1-caprese.jpg

I agree.  I had the caprese salad in Toscana on the Regatta in March. It had no flavor and the tower presentation was very strange.  It definitely was not up to O's high standard of food excellence.  On my 10-day cruise, it was the only food I ate that I would not want again. 

Thank you for your posts. 

13 hours ago, Robjame said:

That “decorative smear” is the classic dressing for a caprese salad - olive oil and balsamic dressing.

It is too bad you had such a disappointing time on Oceania. What cruise line will you now go to - back to Carnival?

Robjame - I know you meant this in jest :). As I said, I am extremely familiar with caprese salad and have eaten it in many, many fine restaurants. I know what the olive oil and balsamic dressing are. I'm simply saying the chef here did an unappetizing job of plate presentation. It happens.

Carnival never bills itself as fine dining, so their standards are more along the Olive Garden line, and that's fine for them :).

10 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

But I think I agree that the MDR food may be a bit over-rated (and again, this is pre-Covid).  I remember a presentation of filet of sole:  White fish and some white boiled potatoes on a white plate (the potatoes were the default, not selected specifically).  Nothing at all to garnish the food or the plate.  It was just odd, not even a pedestrian sprinkle of parsley.

GC

Yes here was one of the dinners in the main dining room. It just didn't give the sense of being a high-end restaurant, which is how Oceania positions itself. As I mentioned, at times it felt like a faded-glory country club. It could be the post-COVID staff hasn't been fully trained yet.

dinner.jpg

Oceania Riviera Cruise Day 6 – Lanzarote – Canary Islands

I was very excited when I woke up on Saturday, April 9, 2022. This was one of the key days of the cruise that I was really looking forward to. This is when we got to visit Lanzarote in the Canary Islands. Lanzarote is famous because it has had SO many volcano eruptions over the years. During one period, volcanos erupted for a full six years straight, covering vast portions of the island in lava and ash.

I realize this is really awful for the locals. At the time, they even considered abandoning the island completely. But they hung on, and the island is simply an amazing place to visit.

My sister and I were booked on the “Panoramic Lanzarote” Oceania tour, which was a bus tour from 9am to 12:30pm. We had room service delivered in the morning to ensure we woke up, had our breakfast, and then got ourselves all ready to go down to the gathering room. Did I mention I was excited?

We got down to the gathering room and found our seats to wait for our bus to be announced. As we waited, my sister seemed less and less happy. Finally she told me she just didn’t feel that great. The next day was going to be our big zoo trip, on Las Palmas, and she really wanted to be able to do that. It involved a LOT of walking. Also, today’s trip said it had 90 minutes of walking. She didn’t want to attempt those back to back. I was very sad, because she also adores volcanoes, but health always comes first. So I waved goodbye as she headed back to our room.

That means I took a TON (and I mean a TON) of video for this trip, so that she could see what she had missed. I’ll have the links to the YouTube videos at the end.

To begin with, we drove out to the Timanfaya National Park which encompasses quite a lot of the main volcanic / ash-covered locations. We learned how the volcanoes here erupted for six years straight, and how the locals nearly gave up on the entire island as a result.

Along the way, we passed a caravan of camels. Lanzarote is very hot and dry. Quite desert-like. As a result, animals which require water do poorly. Instead, they bring in camels which are able to tolerate the low-water environment.

Nowadays, there’s a restaurant located at the center of this park. At the restaurant, they do a number of demonstrations to show you just how hot the volcanos right beneath the surface are burbling. First, they dug up right from surface-level a handful of gravel. The gravel was too hot for us to hold.

Next, there was an air vent that was so hot, when they just put dry brush near it, the brush caught on fire.

Next, there was an air vent with air so hot, when they poured water down it, the water came bursting back up as steam.

There is an air vent right by the restaurant. It is so hot that they can cook chickens over it.

Most tourists can drive to the restaurant itself. However, to go deeper into the volcano area, you need to be on a special tourbus. The roads are too tricky for regular drivers to navigate. I have an hour-long video from one of those tour busses, showing all the amazing volcanic landscape.

After this we drove to a black lava beach, with a green lake / lagoon created by an eruption. The green is caused by algae. I video taped the walk in and the walk out.

Now we took a 20-minute drive across beautiful volcanic landscapes to get to the La Geria Winery. I videoed that.

I made a video of the winery itself. The vineyards are just amazing.

And then there was about a half hour drive back to the Oceania Riviera at the cruise ship dock. I taped that too.

I tracked down my sister. She’d tried to order room service and it’d taken over an hour to get to her. By the time it did, her steak was cold. So that was a bit sad. She wanted to sleep some more. I’ll note that the tour was nearly 100% sitting on a bus – she easily could have come along. I don’t have any idea why the write-up claimed there was 90 minutes of walking. There was not at all.

In any case, I went up to the buffet and had a delicious salad. I sat on the back deck. The weather was perfect with barely a cloud in the sky.

At 4 I went down to the tea / string quartet, but the string quartet wasn’t playing today – they had a piano person instead. I didn’t have an art workshop today, so I explored the ship some more.

For dinner we had a second reservation at Red Ginger, the Asian restaurant. This time I got a photo of the chopstick selections they offer.

I knew to ask for a few extra of the delicious tea, so I could have it during the afternoon tea time sessions.

They always serve edamame to start with, which I love. Then I had the calamari. Normally I go out for Asian food with a group of friends of mine, and Stephanie always eats the tentacles while I eat the rings. So I had to take a photo for her and email her asking her if she’d eat the tentacles for me. She found that amusing :).

The chicken sate was one of those dishes that they aimed for ‘pretty’ rather than ‘functional’. I’d have liked smaller pieces and much more cucumber / pineapple / peanut sauce that didn’t immediately fall off the kebabs.

The lobster pad thai was nice.

We had our big zoo trek tomorrow, so we all went to bed!

Ask with any questions :). Video links will be in the comments.

chopsticks.jpg

lanzarote1.jpg

lanzarote2.jpg

lanzarote3.jpg

lanzarote4.jpg

lanzarote5.jpg

At the restaurant, they do a number of demonstrations to show you just how hot the volcanos right beneath the surface are burbling. First, they dug up right from surface-level a handful of gravel. The gravel was too hot for us to hold.

Most tourists can drive to the restaurant itself. However, to go deeper into the volcano area, you need to be on a special tourbus. The roads are too tricky for regular drivers to navigate. So this next hour-long video is from one of those tour busses, showing all the amazing volcanic landscape. 

22 minutes ago, BellaOnline said:

Yes here was one of the dinners in the main dining room. It just didn't give the sense of being a high-end restaurant, which is how Oceania positions itself. As I mentioned, at times it felt like a faded-glory country club. It could be the post-COVID staff hasn't been fully trained yet.

dinner.jpg

Alas, that is too, too similar.  But at least the salmon has a touch of color.  And there are a few haricots verts...

Was there a sauce served with salmon?

Nevertheless, I bet we'd both enjoy that salmon.

I didn't mean to sound too critical.  There have been many MDR meals that we have *really* enjoyed, and the atmosphere/etc., is lovely.  (I hope it stays somewhat the same...)

But many of the meals are not all that special.

But we really love some of the meals at the Specialties, and there are occasionally some good "finds" in the Terrace, too.  I just fear that some of the over the top characterizations could lead to disappointment.

The ambiance of the entire ship and the dining are the reasons we love O.

And the larger ships' PH suites are just perfect for us.  If only they had a few of those that were forward-facing...!

The Riviera is our favorite ship thus far, and that big therapy pool on the Spa Deck is another "extra" that we love.  Oh, and the Sanctuary area... Sigh.

We can't wait to return!

GC

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BellaOnline said:

Oceania Riviera Cruise Day 6 – Lanzarote – Canary Islands

I was very excited when I woke up on Saturday, April 9, 2022. This was one of the key days of the cruise that I was really looking forward to. This is when we got to visit Lanzarote in the Canary Islands. Lanzarote is famous because it has had SO many volcano eruptions over the years. During one period, volcanos erupted for a full six years straight, covering vast portions of the island in lava and ash.

I realize this is really awful for the locals. At the time, they even considered abandoning the island completely. But they hung on, and the island is simply an amazing place to visit.

My sister and I were booked on the “Panoramic Lanzarote” Oceania tour, which was a bus tour from 9am to 12:30pm. We had room service delivered in the morning to ensure we woke up, had our breakfast, and then got ourselves all ready to go down to the gathering room. Did I mention I was excited?

We got down to the gathering room and found our seats to wait for our bus to be announced. As we waited, my sister seemed less and less happy. Finally she told me she just didn’t feel that great. The next day was going to be our big zoo trip, on Las Palmas, and she really wanted to be able to do that. It involved a LOT of walking. Also, today’s trip said it had 90 minutes of walking. She didn’t want to attempt those back to back. I was very sad, because she also adores volcanoes, but health always comes first. So I waved goodbye as she headed back to our room.

That means I took a TON (and I mean a TON) of video for this trip, so that she could see what she had missed. I’ll have the links to the YouTube videos at the end.

To begin with, we drove out to the Timanfaya National Park which encompasses quite a lot of the main volcanic / ash-covered locations. We learned how the volcanoes here erupted for six years straight, and how the locals nearly gave up on the entire island as a result.

Along the way, we passed a caravan of camels. Lanzarote is very hot and dry. Quite desert-like. As a result, animals which require water do poorly. Instead, they bring in camels which are able to tolerate the low-water environment.

Nowadays, there’s a restaurant located at the center of this park. At the restaurant, they do a number of demonstrations to show you just how hot the volcanos right beneath the surface are burbling. First, they dug up right from surface-level a handful of gravel. The gravel was too hot for us to hold.

Next, there was an air vent that was so hot, when they just put dry brush near it, the brush caught on fire.

Next, there was an air vent with air so hot, when they poured water down it, the water came bursting back up as steam.

There is an air vent right by the restaurant. It is so hot that they can cook chickens over it.

Most tourists can drive to the restaurant itself. However, to go deeper into the volcano area, you need to be on a special tourbus. The roads are too tricky for regular drivers to navigate. I have an hour-long video from one of those tour busses, showing all the amazing volcanic landscape.

After this we drove to a black lava beach, with a green lake / lagoon created by an eruption. The green is caused by algae. I video taped the walk in and the walk out.

Now we took a 20-minute drive across beautiful volcanic landscapes to get to the La Geria Winery. I videoed that.

I made a video of the winery itself. The vineyards are just amazing.

And then there was about a half hour drive back to the Oceania Riviera at the cruise ship dock. I taped that too.

I tracked down my sister. She’d tried to order room service and it’d taken over an hour to get to her. By the time it did, her steak was cold. So that was a bit sad. She wanted to sleep some more. I’ll note that the tour was nearly 100% sitting on a bus – she easily could have come along. I don’t have any idea why the write-up claimed there was 90 minutes of walking. There was not at all.

BellaOnLine - thank you so much for sharing this with us - what an amazing day / landscape.  For such an absolutely barren place it seemed reasonably affluent??   

The vineyard - never seen anything like it - and there was an awful of wine for sale with very sparse vines growing.  And I just wanted to see something splash in the green lagoon!

I thoroughly enjoyed your day

Hilary 🙂

Do you know anything about problems with any of the cabins? I will be in 10004 on a future cruise and hope that it is not a noisy cabin. Any help would be appreciated.first time on Oceania, but am a seasoned cruiser with well over 100 cruises under my belt.

Hilary - from everything the tour guides said, Lanzarote is considered the "very poor cousin" of the Canary Islands. While the other islands have water and can therefore grow things, Lanzarote constantly struggles. They can barely feed themselves. They scrimp and save. I give them a lot of credit for hanging in there.

CruiseChk - We never had any issue with noise in the cabins. We may have been fortunate. My sister and I shared a cabin and our mother was alongside us. One evening my mom fell to the ground and we clearly heard it through the walls. I ran out to check on her. Luckily she was ok. I imagine if someone was having an argument next door it would be heard, but normal conversation, probably not.

• Like 2

Today was one of our favorite tours, that we’d been looking forward to the entire trip. This involved going halfway around the island to Palmitos Park. Palmitos Park has a wealth of native flowers, animals, and landscapes, plus other attractions as well. The down side was of course the drive, but we would be able to last that!

This trip was for me, Jenn (my sis), and my mom.

Off we drove. The first main part was along the coast, which was quite pretty. Then we delved into the heartland of Gran Canaria. This was less lush / more rocky and bare. The map shows how the island tends to be that way.

Up, up, up we went, in twisting narrow little roads, until we got to the location.

The park is quite large, and there are lots of things to see. We would have to pick and choose what we had time for.

The trails can be quite steep, and we wanted to get up to the raptor show (at the top center of the map) in time to see it. We didn’t race – but we also didn’t dawdle much. We went into the various walk-in aviaries, which were really cool. I took a lot of video in there. There were waterfalls and lush gardens along the path. We saw a huge six foot long komodo dragon! And then were were at the top. It overlooked a vast valley.

The show was absolutely amazing. The hawks, falcons, eagles, owls, etc. all flew right over our heads, only inches above us, then soared high into the sky. They raced down the entire length of the valley until they were clear out of sight. I recorded the entire show. One of the birds didn’t come back. I’m sure it must have returned later after its lizardy snack.

Then we walked through the cactus garden and saw a Giant Gran Canaria Lizard in the wild. There were all sorts of other birds in more traditional cages. However, by now we were already running late for the bus. We had to race back through the butterfly enclosure to get to the bus in time. We barely made it!

We hunkered down for the long drive back. I took some video along the way. I was delighted to see a lot of windmills. Gran Canaria does its best to generate its own power and to desalinate its own water.

Finally we were back at the Oceania Riviera. I had a lovely fruit salad for lunch. Soon enough it was time for the 4pm tea time, then 5pm art workshop. For dinner we decided to eat at the regular Grand Dining Room restaurant. It was nearly empty.

Here’s some of the dishes. I still feel they can work a bit on their presentation.

Rather than list all 17 videos this time, I’ll link to the full play list for this Oceania Riviera trip. Scroll down to where the bird videos begin – that starts the block of videos I took today.

Ask with any questions!

day7-map.jpg

day7-park.jpg

day7-raptors.jpg

day7-road.jpg

day7-veal.jpg

day7-creme.jpg

day7-granddining.jpg

Here's the full playlist for this trip so far. Just scroll down to where the bird videos begin to see what's available for today's trip. I took a lot of bird / hawk types of video. Then on the way back I took some videos of what the architecture here looks like, since it is so different from Lanzarote.