Overnight parking options at Kahului Maui port and Nawiliwili Kauai port?

butch5

3 hours ago, butch5 said:

Looking for any information from recent cruisers on this, we are on the May 14th Pride of America cruise and I can't find anything about overnight parking.

The Pride of America docks overnight in Kahului Harbor on Maui.  Pre-Covid (and may well still be true), the best legal bet for parking is in the public parking lot at Kahului Airport (for a fee).  The dock and airport are only a quick three-mile cab ride apart.

On 4/26/2022 at 5:31 PM, butch5 said:

Looking for any information from recent cruisers on this, we are on the May 14th Pride of America cruise and I can't find anything about overnight parking.

We sail in June and can't find any rentals in Kauai for under $300 per day. 

We're on the May 14th cruise too.

We have cars booked for each port and have the same questions.

It seems there are a few solutions in each port. Hopefully we don't have to hike back and forth to the airport.

If so, maybe we could share a ride back and forth.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be renting a car in Maui and driving  to Hana on day 1.  We are thinking about keeping the car for the second day.  Where would be a convenient location to park the car overnight?  Near the cruise ship??  

We were on the may 14th sailing, in Maui we parked about a ten minute walk from the pier in a dirt lot across from Akamai motors(a used car dealership) it was free.  In Kauai there was a lot of free parking on the street in front of the port near the park. Also across that street there is a small road with an apartment complex, there is a lot of street parking right there ( this is where we parked, street name is Wilcox Rd).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, butch5 said:

We were on the may 14th sailing, in Maui we parked about a ten minute walk from the pier in a dirt lot across from Akamai motors(a used car dealership) it was free.

We are familiar with the area, and it is private property.  You took a chance at getting your car towed away, and we wouldn't advise people to park there.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We parked at the Mall overnight. about 25 or so cars from the ship overnight.

They were all there in the morning.

We didn't have an issue at any of the ports. They all had free parking either on the street or in Malls near to the ports.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 1:26 PM, Magnetchief said:

We parked at the Mall overnight. about 25 or so cars from the ship overnight.

They were all there in the morning.

We didn't have an issue at any of the ports. They all had free parking either on the street or in Malls near to the ports.

I need more information please, we will rent a car for Maui Oct 10-11. What mall did you mention in your post ? Thank you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2022 at 1:40 PM, Magnetchief said:

We're on the May 14th cruise too.

We have cars booked for each port and have the same questions.

It seems there are a few solutions in each port. Hopefully we don't have to hike back and forth to the airport.

If so, maybe we could share a ride back and forth.

Take the bus! A couple of years ago, it cost 25 cents for seniors, $1 for everyone else. The bus stop near the port is a short walk. One of the stops is at the airport. And you get a nice little tour of Lihue thrown in. If you do it, look for the "shuttle". That's the bus route that you need.

The other routes go North and Southwest.

• 1 year later...

Best bet is to park at the airport for overnight parking options at Nawiliwili Kauai port is at the Lihue airport. It costs $15. I just cruised there on the Pride of America 8/23 and the airport is literally 2 miles away. A quick 5 minute Lyft ride was like $11 each way to the port and back to pick up in the morning. You could even run it if you'd like. The shopping area right outside the port is a 8 minute walk

• 2 months later...

Kauai is sooo beautiful! So much amazing sights to see. Enjoy your time there with all the free roaming chickens lol. Car rental with Budget (Fastbreak), airport parking and Lyft was all easy peasy for us. BTW I've noticed that Lyft is cheaper than Uber in most cases.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2023 at 8:51 PM, ggvm30 said:

Best bet is to park at the airport for overnight parking options at Nawiliwili Kauai port is at the Lihue airport. It costs $15. I just cruised there on the Pride of America 8/23 and the airport is literally 2 miles away. A quick 5 minute Lyft ride was like $11 each way to the port and back to pick up in the morning. You could even run it if you'd like. The shopping area right outside the port is a 8 minute walk

I goofed- I did not post , but rather had a question related to the post I copy/pasted... Is the cost round trip $11,  when using a hired car/taxi between the cruise port and the airport or is it $11 each way? 

Also, how long did it take at the counter to get situated in your rental?

• Like 1

It's about $11 each way through Lyft. The drive took roughly 7 minutes each way.  Uber will cost more and a taxi will cost even more than that.

The counter time can vary a lot depending on which company you go rent with. Budget FASTBREAK is pretty quick because you get head of the line privileges. 

Edited by ggvm30

On 11/13/2023 at 9:51 PM, ggvm30 said:

Uber will cost more and a taxi will cost even more than that.

Not necessarily. I live several months of the year on the island and Uber and Lyft will flip flop which one is more expensive from time to time. Uber availability tends to be better overall. Its worth checking both if something seems a bit more than you were expecting. 

• Like 1