Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2024: Your questions answered here!

euro cruiser

16 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Good luck with your trip.  I was on a Royal Caribbean B2B with a turnaround in Civitavecchia like you.  I seem to recall we also had to be back onboard around 3pm.  I also planned to use the BIRG and still go into Rome.  However, there were delays in “the process” for B2Bers that morning.  We weren’t finished with the process until close to 10:30, at which time we could get off the ship if we wanted.  We spent about 90 minutes in a room by the gangway while they worked to get the disembarking passengers off so they could zero out the passenger count.  After that was done, we were free to return to the ship public areas or get off and explore.  

With that late start, I decided to spend the day walking around Civitavecchia.  I had some lunch and got back on the ship some time around 1pm. 

I hope you have better results. 

Holy Moses! 

That's awful...it's almost 3am now as I type...I'll come back and let you know.

• Like 1

Made it back 7the Odyssey of the Seas...and simply just happy to be back onboard.

* This was, by far, the worse turn around day we've ever experienced.

* Royal gave us 2 choices,

1. To be at the Seaplex between 8:30am to 9:15 am, and be processed as consecutive cruisers.

2. (We chose option 2) Disembark earlier, when the ship is cleared in the morning.

And told to be back by 3pm. (2 hr train ride to get to Rome and back...just doesn't give anyone much time...but we love Rome so off we went.)

* We walked off the ship at 6:30 am. Only took a few minutes to exit the terminal building...no customs or immigration.

* Found the free shuttle bus...but the shuttle did not leave until 7am. The driver had to ask for assistance and dropped us (12 passengers, some with luggages) quite a distance away from the terminal gate to Civitavecchia. It was so far that our group couldn't find the gate. A frustrated couple decided to take a taxi...we were all lost.

* Choosing Option 2, we were told that we will have to check-in as new passengers.  No "In-Transit" card given.

* We knew our time in Rome was short.. so after visiting St. Peter's Basilica,...we took the 12:02 train back from San Pietro to Civitavecchia. 4 ships were docked in Civitavecchia...so the train was packed full of cruise passengers. Imagine the stairs going down then up the train station with all of them pulling luggages.

* Many passengers that walked, found it difficult to find the shuttle bus back to the ships...there were no signs or directions.

* Passengers from other cruise ships were getting on the wrong shuttle buses...or walking in circles.

* When we finally made it back inside the terminal, we were prepared and had all our documents...until they asked for our negative covid test to board. (We were told all consecutive passengers did not have to be tested.)

It took a while and a number of people to finally get us back onboard.

Bottom line: We followed everything we were told but we genuinely would not try that again.

The irony of it all...the ship was delayed and did not leave until 8:00 pm.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Made it back 7the Odyssey of the Seas...and simply just happy to be back onboard.

* This was, by far, the worse turn around day we've ever experienced.

* Royal gave us 2 choices,

1. To be at the Seaplex between 8:30am to 9:15 am, and be processed as consecutive cruisers.

2. (We chose option 2) Disembark earlier, when the ship is cleared in the morning.

And told to be back by 3pm. (2 hr train ride to get to Rome and back...just doesn't give anyone much time...but we love Rome so off we went.)

* We walked off the ship at 6:30 am. Only took a few minutes to exit the terminal building...no customs or immigration.

* Found the free shuttle bus...but the shuttle did not leave until 7am. The driver had to ask for assistance and dropped us (12 passengers, some with luggages) quite a distance away from the terminal gate to Civitavecchia. It was so far that our group couldn't find the gate. A frustrated couple decided to take a taxi...we were all lost.

* Choosing Option 2, we were told that we will have to check-in as new passengers.  No "In-Transit" card given.

* We knew our time in Rome was short.. so after visiting St. Peter's Basilica,...we took the 12:02 train back from San Pietro to Civitavecchia. 4 ships were docked in Civitavecchia...so the train was packed full of cruise passengers. Imagine the stairs going down then up the train station with all of them pulling luggages.

* Many passengers that walked, found it difficult to find the shuttle bus back to the ships...there were no signs or directions.

* Passengers from other cruise ships were getting on the wrong shuttle buses...or walking in circles.

* When we finally made it back inside the terminal, we were prepared and had all our documents...until they asked for our negative covid test to board. (We were told all consecutive passengers did not have to be tested.)

It took a while and a number of people to finally get us back onboard.

Bottom line: We followed everything we were told but we genuinely would not try that again.

The irony of it all...the ship was delayed and did not leave until 8:00 pm.

Yikes. What a mess.  While the details are different than I experienced years ago on the Mariner, the theme is the same.  Royal Caribbean didn’t seem to have a well structured, all bases covered B2B process.  When I went, there was one employee responsible for the process, but she also was doing other things.  So she would come and go and leave us hanging as to where things stood.  Sorry it was chaotic, but I’m glad you saw some of Rome AND made it back on the ship. 

18 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Yikes. What a mess.  While the details are different than I experienced years ago on the Mariner, the theme is the same.  Royal Caribbean didn’t seem to have a well structured, all bases covered B2B process.  When I went, there was one employee responsible for the process, but she also was doing other things.  So she would come and go and leave us hanging as to where things stood.  Sorry it was chaotic, but I’m glad you saw some of Rome AND made it back on the ship. 

Thanks!

We spoke (politely) to the Guest Services Manager, and he fully understood "that were holes" in the process and he will correct them.

We had a very nice conversation and all agreed that we were "guinea pigs" for the Odyssey's very first disembarkation/embarkation process for 2022.

* We are staying for another cruise...so he said he will send us to Rome next week compliments of guest services.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if there are taxis easily available at the civitavecchia train station. We are taking the train from Florence to the port Thursday morning. Will be arriving around noon and would like to get a taxi to the ship. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I am assuming if it says "an error occured" that simply means it's sold out for that time. So if the express is sold out, I would probably prefer to go earlier. Are the earlier trains accommodating to cruise passengers with luggage?

It doesn't necessarily mean it's sold out.  You might be looking too far into the future, or there may be a glitch in the Trenitalia system.  What date are you looking for, and are you looking to go to Citivavecchia or to Rome?

There are regionale trains every hour, sometimes several each hour, but there are three issues to be aware of with these trains:

1)  They are not capacity controlled and there are no seat assignments 

2)  There is no place for luggage except the racks above the seats.  

3)  The tracks for the regionale trains are three blocks from the main trackhead at Rome Termini.

If you cannot get the Civitavecchia Express train, I would suggest spending 6 euro more and take the Frecce.  This train travels non-stop between Civitavecchia and Rome Termini, you will get an assigned seat, there is room for luggage, and it uses the main trackhead at Termini.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We are planning to take the train from Lorence to the port in October.  However, we are concerned about stairs as we all have pretty hefty luggage and are not so young anymore... Is there no handicapped accessibility???  Thanks for the advce

3 hours ago, gigimrs said:

We are planning to take the train from Lorence to the port in October.  However, we are concerned about stairs as we all have pretty hefty luggage and are not so young anymore... Is there no handicapped accessibility???  Thanks for the advce

Good news, the station at Civitavecchia now has elevators to get around between tracks.

One strong suggestion:  as you make your train plans, limit your search to Frecce or IC trains from Rome to Civitavecchia.  The reason for this is that regional trains going to Civitavecchia depart from auxiliary tracks about three city blocks from the main track head, where you will arrive from Florence.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

That is a train back to port.  It's not the Civitavecchia Express, if that's what you are asking.

Yes, correct. 

The express gets back too late for the  comfort of my mom, who walks a little slowly. 🥲

Just wanted to make sure that it goes back to the port and I can access rhe shuttle from there. 

@yoolykeme  Not sure where you're getting your schedule from but it's best to go to the Trenitalia website. I put in tomorrow's date and got the following:

image.thumb.png.32862fea6e7701b08dfa2fdec70128bf.png

What's important to know is what euro cruiser was saying. Only the train marked as Frecciabianca is a train with ASSIGNED seats that departs from the regular tracks at the front of the station at Termini.  All of the later trains shown have the fancy "R" at the top left, indicating that they are "Regionale" trains. These trains do NOT have assigned seats and can get very crowded (standing room only) as the afternoon progresses and people are trying to get back to the ships at Civitavecchia.  

The other key point is that the Regionale trains do not leave from the front tracks/platforms. They depart from a set of auxiliary platforms at the rear of Termini station which is a GOOD walk of at least two city blocks from the front of the station.

When our cruise returns to port we are planning on spending one night in Rome near Termini.  Should we take the express? I know it doesn’t go all the way to Termini, but maybe a better choice,  especially with luggage. Would we transfer to different train or get a taxi? 

I wouldn't.  Since you know the date you'll be traveling, and because weather won't change your mind about making the trip from Civitavecchia to Rome, and further because it's extremely unusual for a ship to arrive late to a final port, for all these reasons I would purchase a Frecce ticket in advance.

Purchased a month or two before your trip you can get the 9:16 Frecce non-stop from Civitavecchia to Roma Termini for just under 10 euro (full price 16 euro), the same price you'd pay for the Civitavecchia Express that won't even take you where you want to go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 1:42 PM, euro cruiser said:

It doesn't necessarily mean it's sold out.  You might be looking too far into the future, or there may be a glitch in the Trenitalia system.  What date are you looking for, and are you looking to go to Citivavecchia or to Rome?

There are regionale trains every hour, sometimes several each hour, but there are three issues to be aware of with these trains:

1)  They are not capacity controlled and there are no seat assignments 

2)  There is no place for luggage except the racks above the seats.  

3)  The tracks for the regionale trains are three blocks from the main trackhead at Rome Termini.

If you cannot get the Civitavecchia Express train, I would suggest spending 6 euro more and take the Frecce.  This train travels non-stop between Civitavecchia and Rome Termini, you will get an assigned seat, there is room for luggage, and it uses the main trackhead at Termini.

I'm also looking at the Frecce 9:16 train to get into Rome for a day of touring.  When you mention one of the pluses is that it uses the main trackhead, does that mean it's easier to transfer from these trains to the Termini metro stop?  Trying to figure out how long it will take me to get to the Colosseo metro station for Colosseum tours after getting off the train at 10:03.

No, I can make the 8:44 regional train which gets in to Ostiense at 9:36, assuming it's on time.

The Civi express train arrives at Ostiense at 10:10 and the Frecce train arrives at Ternini at 10:03.  So those two are about the same in terms of timing and have the benefit of a seat (and air conditioning I'm assuming?) compared to the regional train.  I wasn't sure that the half hour earlier start in Rome was worth the inconvenience of standing on a crowded train?

The only other reasonable option is the 7:58 regional train.  We're on Wonder of the Seas, which arrives at 7:00, but most people have reported the gangway doesn't open until 7:30.  With such a big ship and large crowds, I would be panicky about getting off the ship in time and making it to the train station in under 30 mins.