KAUAI-CAR RENTAL- SHUTTLE/CRUISE PORT?

OC PAT

It was suggested that we rent a car for this isle, Kauai.  We need to get to the Lahue airport for a helicopter tour in the morning.  So, I see a rental for about 130 dollars. From what I can tell the rental companies are at the same airport as our helicopter tour.  I did not see any shuttle from the cruise port.  So, I will have to pay a cab fee back and forth for two in addition to the car, correct?  So why assume the extra costs for a rental?   Our trip is in October.  Is there Uber at this port, and should we consider that resource?  Is there a rental company near the Wal-Mart?  Any insight is greatly appreciated. Yes, this is our first trip to Hawaii.

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 10:40 AM, OC PAT said:

It was suggested that we rent a car for this isle, Kauai.  We need to get to the Lahue airport for a helicopter tour in the morning.  So, I see a rental for about 130 dollars. From what I can tell the rental companies are at the same airport as our helicopter tour.  I did not see any shuttle from the cruise port.  So, I will have to pay a cab fee back and forth for two in addition to the car, correct?  So why assume the extra costs for a rental?   Our trip is in October.  Is there Uber at this port, and should we consider that resource?  Is there a rental company near the Wal-Mart?  Any insight is greatly appreciated. Yes, this is our first trip to Hawaii.

We are just back from our may 14th sailing and we rented a car from Enterprise which is right across the street from Walmart. We called the branch and they picked us up at the ABC store near the port which was about a 10-15 min walk. Lots of free parking right near the port if you want to keep the car for both days like we did. 

On 5/28/2022 at 12:12 AM, butch5 said:

We are just back from our may 14th sailing and we rented a car from Enterprise which is right across the street from Walmart. We called the branch and they picked us up at the ABC store near the port which was about a 10-15 min walk. Lots of free parking right near the port if you want to keep the car for both days like we did. 

Thanks, Butch5.  We are only there for the day.  But with your info. I have a plan.  I will have hubby walk to the ABC store and then pick me up at the port and then do the reverse order at the end of the day. Is there a good spot by the port that I can meet him?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 8:40 AM, OC PAT said:

I would like to take the fixed wing tour on Oct l - website  states that I will have to take taxi or uber - pain to try to book one a head of time.  States only a five minute drive.  Thar fact makes me reluctant.  Anyone on this board has had this problem - solution??

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a rental car from Enterprise Lihue Kuhio Hwy reserved for this coming  February and they promised Cruise port pickup. They are only open Monday-Friday. Hopefully this will work for you.

Just got off the phone with Discount Hawaii Car rental company who we've used multiple times for Hawaii car rentals.  Was told that only Budget/Avis is running one shuttle in Hilo from the cruise port out to the airport, so you might be spending valuable cruise time waiting for that one shuttle.

Shuttles have not resumed yet in Kauai due to under staffing.  We have a cars reserved in both Hilo and Kauai.  Now plan to look up cost for taxis to both airports and also cost of an Uber.  She also mentioned that all rental car companies are short staffed so once you get to the airport be patient and prepared to wait. 

FYI- our cruise is in October, for those cruising later maybe things will be different

Edited by Therese S.

1- Given shuttle/taxi uncertainty, has anyone considered or used Turo? Sometimes the drivers will pick you up from port, and you drop them off at a nearby location.

2- I will be arriving Kauai 27 Oct on POA if anyone would like to share/split taxi to an agreed car rental location

On 4/28/2022 at 10:40 AM, OC PAT said:

Hello OC Pat - Crystal from DE here!  Which cruise are you on?  I will be on NCL POA end of Oct