Diving in Cozumel

scubaslayer

I know this has been asked time and time again but the pandemic has changed a lot of things and dive ops have closed. I will be in Cozumel October 4th from 7-4 (so 8-3ish). I will have a new junior diver with me so our depth would be slightly limited and I have not dove in Cozumel in over 15 years. I would like to find a dive op that can accommodate us and maybe do a drift dive to one of the walls. We will be limited to max depth for kid of 18m or 60ft. Looking for tips and recommendations and maybe even other people to book with in same situation.

I'm sure CC's resident diving expert, Harris, will be along with some great recommendations soon enough!

Personally, I have booked my last two cruise dives in Cozumel with Dive Paradise. They are located across from the Wyndham, so it's only a $8 cab ride from the pier. They also offer, with a minimum 2 booked divers, a 10:00 Express Boat. I like that because you're never quite sure when the gangway will be opened, and boats typically go out at 8:00 or 8:30. Plus, it's an Express Boat, so there will be 5 or 6 divers max, and you'll be able to get to the more desirable southern reef dive sites, including those walls you're looking for.

• Like 1

As I write this I'm staying at the Wyndham across the street from Dive Paradise.  🙂 

I think the Dive Paradise recommendation is probably a good one, given the fact you have a JOWD in your group.  I also can recommend Salty Endeavors.  I used them recently for a dive when we were here on cruise with times that didn't work well for other operators, and I found them very easy to deal with. 

By the way, I noticed in another post your referred to your "teen".  I'm likely telling you something you already know, but if you mean thirteen or fourteen (At the time of your trip) they would be depth limited (or at least they're supposed to be).  Age 15 and up is no longer considered a Junior Open Water Diver, so only the recreational diving limits apply. 

In any event, you'll likely have a great day of diving.

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@scubaslayer

I have some good news for you.  Sherief, one of the great instructors with Aldora for many years, has opened his own shop, Humarine.  He and I talked, and he'll be able to accommodate cruise passengers, while Aldora has stopped working with cruise passengers.

You can go to to the website ( https://humarine.com/ ) or email him at: sherief@divebookcozumel.com

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 1:53 PM, omeinv said:

@scubaslayer

I have some good news for you.  Sherief, one of the great instructors with Aldora for many years, has opened his own shop, Humarine.  He and I talked, and he'll be able to accommodate cruise passengers, while Aldora has stopped working with cruise passengers.

You can go to to the website ( https://humarine.com/ ) or email him at: sherief@divebookcozumel.com

Harris

Denver, CO

I will look into it. As of now kid is unsure if they want to get certified yet. I don't want to force them but I would love to have someone to dive with on vacations. It feels awkward to leave them behind and go diving alone during a family vacation.