Going to Canada

have you even looked at the arriveCAN app?

it's not just filling out a form and answering a few questions.

and people can lie all they want... and risk being denied entry to the country and testing upon arrival. and the app itself doesn't grant access to canada, per se... it simply expedites the virtual paperwork process.

• Like 1

For people like my parents who don't have smart phones... what options are there? I don't mind helping them fill out a form online, but it looks like this is only an app for a smartphone. Or am I missing something...

We'll all be headed to Canada in September this year on the Joy, but not traveling on excursions together. The website says I can fill it out on behalf of someone else if they're my child, or spouse, or any other adult if I'm their legal guardian. None of those apply as I am the adult child in this case. They need an option for 'technology challenged senior citizen parents'.

image.png.9de12e4e23a5fccf7500adb0893bb190.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We just complete ours for our cruise to Alaska on the Bliss.

They ask for passport info, vaccination record, name of ship and what port and date there. 
The biggest confusion seems to be in the language. 72 hours before embarking . Many thought it was not needed until 72 hours before Victoria port, so completed while on cruise.

NCL is requiring all to have receipt of completed form at embarkation of cruise, No one will be allowed to board unless they have this receipt.

I cannot wait to see the confusion and lines tomorrow at the pier  🙄

6 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

For people like my parents who don't have smart phones... what options are there? I don't mind helping them fill out a form online, but it looks like this is only an app for a smartphone. Or am I missing something...

We'll all be headed to Canada in September this year on the Joy, but not traveling on excursions together. The website says I can fill it out on behalf of someone else if they're my child, or spouse, or any other adult if I'm their legal guardian. None of those apply as I am the adult child in this case. They need an option for 'technology challenged senior citizen parents'.

image.png.9de12e4e23a5fccf7500adb0893bb190.png

We printed out our receipt, which included a QR Code. 
I would print out receipt for your parents . They will also need print out of Negative Covid test . 
Also, quarantine info no longer needed. 

Edited by phissy

3 minutes ago, phissy said:

We printed out our receipt, which included a QR Code. 
I would print out receipt for your parents . They will also need print out of Negative Covid test . 

Thanks, I was getting confused by the 72 hr rule myself. We board in NY, but don't arrive in Canada until day 4. So although I'll have my laptop & smartphone and could help them, I'm not bringing a personal printer with me on board the ship.

So you're saying as long as we complete the forms and such at home and print them before we board, regardless of how much time has lapsed between when we complete it and when we get to Canada we'll be fine?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, phissy said:

We just complete ours for our cruise to Alaska on the Bliss.

They ask for passport info, vaccination record, name of ship and what port and date there. 
The biggest confusion seems to be in the language. 72 hours before embarking . Many thought it was not needed until 72 hours before Victoria port, so completed while on cruise.

NCL is requiring all to have receipt of completed form at embarkation of cruise, No one will be allowed to board unless they have this receipt.

I cannot wait to see the confusion and lines tomorrow at the pier  🙄

Even more confusing is that they require you to provide a negative antigen test done no more than 48 hours before embarkation. Since we did our eMed tests per NCL two day requirements, we are a little longer than 48 hours. We submitted the pdf of the negative tests and have the QR code and print out - but who knows how strict they will be. We didn't get the NCL email requiring us to go to the AriveCan site and fill out the form until after we did the eMed test.

Yes.

We started to app process a week ago. We saved our passport info and vaccination record.

It would not allow us to enter date of embarkation of ship until Wednesday of this week. We sail on Saturday. 
On Wednesday, went back to app and completed info.  
NCL needs copy of receipt for boarding. Not sure if we need to show receipt again as the ship will have verified all passengers have it when entering Canadian port.

24 minutes ago, wacruiselover said:

Even more confusing is that they require you to provide a negative antigen test done no more than 48 hours before embarkation. Since we did our eMed tests per NCL two day requirements, we are a little longer than 48 hours. We submitted the pdf of the negative tests and have the QR code and print out - but who knows how strict they will be. We didn't get the NCL email requiring us to go to the AriveCan site and fill out the form until after we did the eMed test.

The ArrivrCAN does not require our Covid test results.

It only asked for our vaccination record to show we are fully vaccinated.

The first email regarding ArriveCAN came on April 21 from NCL. Many missed it ,  our FB group missed it also. 

NCL did send another email with the section that this must completed before boarding , highlighted in RED. 
Apparently, last weeks boarding ( first to Alaska) was a giant **** …mess. The sail away was delayed.

Edited by phissy

Just now, phissy said:

You're correct. It has been crazy getting ready for embarkation tomorrow so I'm not sure where I got the 48 hr requirement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wacruiselover said:

You're correct. It has been crazy getting ready for embarkation tomorrow so I'm not sure where I got the 48 hr requirement.

So many of us sailing tomorrow have commented how this has been so stressful and overwhelming. It is the extra document, with confusing language, finding tests while traveling etc. 72 hour, 48 hour …which, when for who?
So many , arriving in Seattle today have posted how happy they are to have made it here and are ready for boarding tomorrow.

42 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

No smart phone necessary.  You can do it online, no app needed.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

32 minutes ago, phissy said:

I found the source of my confusion - most likely due to NCL not updating their website. Complete text at this LINK

Canada Cruise Protocols

Testing Requirements:

• Embarkation: all guests must provide proof of negative NAAT test (i.e. PCR) taken within 72 hours prior to embarkation, or negative antigen test taken within 48 hours of embarkation.

Cruise passengers departing from Seattle and only making a port call in Canada do not need a Covid test before arriving in Canada.  That only applies to people embarking or disembarking in Canada.  The ArriveCAN process is simple as long as you have a way to upload your Vaccination Card.  You can do that by scanning or taking a picture.  I had no problem uploading a scanned card.  It is certainly some extra work but don't make it harder than it is, especially if you are departing from Seattle.

Edited by cc-riderslc
add extra info
  • Like 1

If you are flying into Canada the day of your cruise, or maybe even the day before, you likely only do ArriveCan the once, within the 72 hours of embarkation and then use that receipt for both your arrival and cruise.  Day-of, definitely one would work.  Day before maybe, but you might get stuck with two.

If you are flying into Canada ahead of your cruise and staying for a few days, you would do two ArriveCan entires.  Your first ArriveCan would show you are arriving by air and list the hotel where you are staying pre-cruise.  Your second would indicate you are travelling by cruise ship to/from a Canadian port.  Your traveler info stays in the app/website between trips into or out of Canada, so you are really only adding new trip info each time once you have done the initial work of inputting travellers and vaccine info.

The web version might be easier for for people without smartphones, or the technology-hesitant.  It can even be done at the appropriate time(s) by a non-travelling friend or family member and then the receipt (or a screen shot of it) can be emailed to the traveller and shown or printed out at a hotel business center, etc.

There’s a guide here that might help, it shows screen shots from the app so you could see what to expect.  The app has been updated since this guide was written, there’s no quarantine info to enter anymore, but it’s still a good way to see what the app is like.

https://flytrippers.com/arrivecan-app-canada/

We’ve gotten pretty used to doing ArriveCan, since we travel a fair bit.  It’s not that much different than filling in the paper forms we used to have to do on the plane.  Most countries have (or have had) some kind of form like this for post-Covid travel.  The US only has the attestation form, they’re kind of the outlier in terms of travel paperwork.

7 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are you assuming that people without smartphones have computer/internet access?

At home or at a relative/friend’s house or at the public library or at the hotel’s business center, yes.  Just because you don’t have a smartphone doesn’t mean you don’t use the internet.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Coupe said:

So, what happens if you don't do the form before you arrive in Canada?

As the rules are at this moment you would not arrive in Canada as to cross the border via car, plane or boat you need it.  If you are coming by plane or boat they won't even let you on in the US to get to Canada without it.

I'm sailing on Royal on May 31st...when were they going to tell us abou this??? If I was not on cruisecritic I would have NEVER heard about this! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HLR said:

I'm sailing on Royal on May 31st...when were they going to tell us abou this??? If I was not on cruisecritic I would have NEVER heard about this! 

It's on their website.

Since filling out the ArriveCan form shouldn't take very long my guess is you'll probably hear something from Royal Caribbean a week or two before your cruise.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Thanks 1