Endicott excursion

lbfluffy

I noticed a few months ago Princess has this excursion. When I looked it was $249. Now it’s $279. Is that normal to jump that high? Also anyone have any information on this excursion. It sounds amazing, but so pricey.

31 minutes ago, pisces223 said:

I am interested in the answers to your question too! I just booked us on the Celebrity excursion for this and am wondering if it will be worth it. I will continue to follow along here!

I searched on google and found some positive reviews.

If this is the excursion that off loads from the ship, we we have done it before.  Pricing can vary between the various lines and is not unusual.  In fact, I was just noticing this the other day when I was doing a price comparison --- couldn't figure out why --- just the way it is.

The excursion is wonderful --- there is nothing like seeing the beautiful scenery and blue ice bergs from a closer perspective than what you would get from the ship.  Some cruisers are satisfied seeing the sites from the ship and that is OK.  Again, personal preference being stated here.  You might want to do a google search about the excursion and see what pictures/comments are out there.  We will be going on the Endicott Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer excursion with Princess in August and are looking forward to it.  Our pricing at time of booking was $249.95 per person.

25 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

Check youtube. Don't get confused with Tracy Arm. Here is one of many. I suspect that all the different lines have the same tour operator. Glacier Explorer Tour Review, Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier, Alaska - Disney Cruise Line - YouTube

sightcrr

The video you mentioned is an excellent overall description of the excursion.  The tour operator, Allen Marine, has always provided a wonderful experience when it comes to glaciers.  Thanks for posting.

18 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

We have this excursion booked through NCL and it is a 7 hour excursion at a cost of $279 per person minus $50 if you have the shore excursion credit perk

The 7 hour trip sounds like the one that is a round trip out of Juneau.  The excursion that disembarks passengers at Tracy Arm or Endicott and then meets the ship in Juneau is closer to 3.5 hours.

The Juneau round trip usually leaves at 8 a.m. Not many cruise itineraries arrive in Juneau early enough (7:00 a.m. or earlier) to take it.

Edited by quack2

2 hours ago, quack2 said:

The 7 hour trip sounds like the one that is a round trip out of Juneau.  The excursion that disembarks passengers at Tracy Arm or Endicott and then meets the ship in Juneau is closer to 3.5 hours.

The Juneau round trip usually leaves at 8 a.m. Not many cruise itineraries arrive in Juneau early enough (7:00 a.m. or earlier) to take it.

Our excursion starts at 2:45pm and leaves from Juneau.  We have a late day in Juneau from 2:30pm-11:00pm. I am really excited for this excursion, I read wonderful things about it.

Edited by disneylover89

1 minute ago, disneylover89 said:

Our excursion starts at 2:45pm and leaves from Juneau.  We have a late day in Juneau from 2:30-11:00pm. I am really excited for this excursion, I read wonderful things about it.

You learn something new every day.  Enjoy the excursion.

• Like 1

Having read all this, I just booked this for our Celebrity Solstice cruise in July.   We have 3 kids with us, ages 8,11,13.

It says we get off the ship at 7am when entering the Fjord and the tour lasts 6 hours. 

Our ship is scheduled to be in the FJord from 5:30am - 10am, arriving that day in Juneau at 1:30.

So I am just realizing that this means we do not get back on the ship until we are in Juneau?  

If the tour lasts 6 hours....7am - 1pm?    Will that be too long for the kids on the smaller ship?   Are there bathrooms?  

53 minutes ago, itsanita said:

Having read all this, I just booked this for our Celebrity Solstice cruise in July.   We have 3 kids with us, ages 8,11,13.

It says we get off the ship at 7am when entering the Fjord and the tour lasts 6 hours. 

Our ship is scheduled to be in the FJord from 5:30am - 10am, arriving that day in Juneau at 1:30.

So I am just realizing that this means we do not get back on the ship until we are in Juneau?  

If the tour lasts 6 hours....7am - 1pm?    Will that be too long for the kids on the smaller ship?   Are there bathrooms?  

Yes there are bathrooms and two floors- the top outside. I think if it were me- do they have any electronics they can bring? We usually tried to restrict them when traveling and bring only them out at times like the one on the smaller ship. Or something for them to enjoy if they get bored. It is a long but amazing trip.

13 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Yes there are bathrooms and two floors- the top outside. I think if it were me- do they have any electronics they can bring? We usually tried to restrict them when traveling and bring only them out at times like the one on the smaller ship. Or something for them to enjoy if they get bored. It is a long but amazing trip.

They do have electronics.  But its a pretty expensive tour for the 7 of us. 

I'm wondering if we would be better off just seeing from the ship....then they can do what they want.   I will have to give it some thought, didn't realize it was so long.  

If you have not already done so, take a look at the video link that "SightCRR" posted above for an in-depth view of what the excursion is like.  Very good review.

Have taken these experiences many times and if I were in your shoes, I would pass.  If it were just you and your husband I would say go for it.  Given you have younger children and the tour begins early, not sure they would appreciate the experience and if they would be happy with the long journey.  The money could be better spent on something more adaptable to the family. 

15 hours ago, itsanita said:

They do have electronics.  But its a pretty expensive tour for the 7 of us. 

I'm wondering if we would be better off just seeing from the ship....then they can do what they want.   I will have to give it some thought, didn't realize it was so long.  

There apparently are at least two versions of this excursion- one is about 2-2 1/2 hours from the ship back to the ship. The other apparently goes from the ship and connects in Juneau. Not sure which one you are being offered. If the short one- any chance your kids will be signed up in kids onboard programs? It is possible that they could stay on board and just the parents (and perhaps your eldest) could take the excursion. Agree that with 5 of you, even if there is a children's price, would be a lot. 

Thanks for all your replies.  I have decided to cancel this.  I can see the kids getting antsy, and wanting to use electronics.  Their parents will argue against this and it might become an 'issue'.  Better to avoid. 

Anyway,  we may not even have time for lunch before we need to be at our whale watching excursion at 2:10.  Too much!!   So we will enjoy Endicott and the glacier from the ship.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, disneylover89 said:

Operational needs.  When I called, the excursion dept said a lot of places are having staffing issues

And a comment from someone who lives in Alaska -- we are experiencing a severe labor shortage all through the state.  It is impacting every business from those in the hospitality and tourism sector to grocery stores to realtors.  I had my  hair cut yesterday, and even the hairdresser was bemoaning the labor shortage in her industry as they want to add several more staff to the salon (she is part owner) and can't recruit anyone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

Operational needs.  When I called, the excursion dept said a lot of places are having staffing issues

Thanks for the reply.  So sorry to hear that you were not able to take the excursion.  We have the excursion booked for August so I guess it will be a waiting game for us.  It would be nice if we were given notice ahead of time so we can use the money for a different excursion.

Edited by Italy52
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Thanks for the reply.  So sorry to hear that you were not able to take the excursion.  We have the excursion booked for August so I guess it will be a waiting game for us.  It would be nice if we were given notice ahead of time so we can use the money for a different excursion.

Unfortunately, our second excursion pick only has 1 spot available and we need 4. I will have to get on the waiting list when we board and I also check daily on line to see if anyone cancels. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, disneylover89 said:

Unfortunately, our second excursion pick only has 1 spot available and we need 4. I will have to get on the waiting list when we board and I also check daily on line to see if anyone cancels. Fingers crossed.

Wishing you good luck that all works out in your favor.

• Haha 1

The excursion was offered on a Tracy Arm cruise I went on a few weeks ago. We only got a vague, distant view of Sawyer Glacier from our ship, and I'm not sure if the boat tour was able to get closer to the glacier, because of ice floes. It's kind of annoying for the other passengers, because the shipped stopped for half an hour to load everyone onto the boat, and then again after its tour ended. While you could theoretically get close-up views of ice and things, in reality most people are going to be crammed inside with hundreds of people and there's limited outdoor viewing areas, so you have limited viewing through windows, behind rows of other people, many probably crowding the windows and few outside areas to take photos. I much preferred being close to the water on the cruise ship, where I could easily go from side to side to see ice, wildlife, cliffs, and to warm myself in the sun. I know on HAL and NCL, when we went in Tracy and Endicott they opened up the bow section for outdoor viewing, which was freezing, and RCI allowed people out there if they paid for a photo op.