Vancouver - killing time before flight home

My cruise ends in Vancouver. Family of 4 with an 8 and 11 year old. Flight back to the states is at 5 pm. What's the best way to kill time in between? 

I guess we want to be at the airport around 3. Leave wherever we are around 2, eating lunch first.

Is it possible to do the Capilano Bridge in that time? Not as a shore excursion, as it quadruples the price. If we did, what could we do with the luggage? 

Any other ideas? I'm guessing Ubering around would be easiest for us. 

23 hours ago, Monica887 said:

My cruise ends in Vancouver. Family of 4 with an 8 and 11 year old. Flight back to the states is at 5 pm. What's the best way to kill time in between? 

I guess we want to be at the airport around 3. Leave wherever we are around 2, eating lunch first.

Is it possible to do the Capilano Bridge in that time? Not as a shore excursion, as it quadruples the price. If we did, what could we do with the luggage? 

Any other ideas? I'm guessing Ubering around would be easiest for us. 

Depends on what the family is into. 

CATSA (our equivalent to TSA) is having problems hiring people, the airport is recommending a 3 hour arrival prior to departure.  I think that is excessive for that time of day but I don't write the guidelines the airport puts out.  

The North Shore mountains are a more nature oriented destination.

Lowest Cost would be to just wander around the downtown core, grab a nice lunch.  The cruise ship terminal docks in downtown. So as soon as you walk out of the terminal your in the document core.  As you exist to your right is a sea wall that has some great views of the harbour.  To your left you can head towards Gastown that has the historical 100+ year old buildings.  Straight ahead is lots of shopping with a mix of mid-market to high end international brands.  You will find a lot within walking distance.

Science World - Interactive hands on time place.  Some kids love it others not so much.   That would be a short subway (called skytrain in Vancouver) ride away.   

Skytrain is the name of the subway system in Vancouver.  If you do single tickets or a day pass.  If you do decide to get Skytrain tickets, you can do a two zone day pass. Two zones will cover out to the airport and to North Vancouver.

Skytrain will take you directly to the airport when its time to go.   You could take the seabus (ferry across to North Vancouver).  There is a public market there on the water front. 

Edited by em-sk

On 5/2/2022 at 12:58 PM, georgiacat said:

barbienj,

Where do you plan to get  your covid tests?, airport, pharmacy, self administered?

Not sure yet, have to research. I am hoping that testing requirement goes away by the summer.

On 5/6/2022 at 3:18 PM, barbienj said:

Not sure yet, have to research. I am hoping that testing requirement goes away by the summer.

I have spent far too much time figuring out where to get our tests.  I think that I have settled on this place:  https://covid-medical.ca/#covidtestpricing they have a location at the airport - which someone on CC said he had used regularly before flights to the U.S.   There is also a location at 1055 Canada Place Way, they had the lowest price of the 3 testing locations I found at Canada Place and the price is refundable before the appointment if it is cancelled. 

We are traveling in late June, and spending a couple of days in Vancouver before our cruise.  My plan is to book two sets of appointments.   One appointment on the day before we embark, and one appointment after our post-disembarkation shore excursion before we fly back to the U.S. 

I doubt if the testing before cruising requirement will go away anytime soon.   The ships can only handle so many sick people on each cruise.   It would be nice if the U.S. requirement is dropped.