Star Legend (Pride and Breeze also) - the original design cabins question

zentraveler

I know they newly renovated ships have the bed next to the french doors but I also am aware that not all of the cabins were really designed, but only those in the newly added section. Are the older design cabins more or less the same?

We are really not interested in having our bed by the balcony instead of the couch and living area, and it also seems that the drapery dividing the two spaces in the remodeled ones is more of a mesh curtain than anything that would block out light, so that the two spaces are less separate if someone needs to sleep in a darker space. 

Can anyone comment? Planning the Star Legend in October Istanbul - Athens. Thanks for any cabin info!

All of the cabins have been updated. As far as the newer layout, we would not book it. We love sitting by the picture window having cocktails or a meal, or just relaxing. 

We recently returned from 23 days on the Legend.  We specifically booked an "original" configuration cabin w/balcony, as we share the preference for the seating area by the window/doors.  Our bathroom was completely redone, and outstanding.  All the outlets are the same--European plugs--except one U.S. outlet and two USB ports.  No trouble charging our electronics.  We will probably stick with this layout for future Windstar cruises.

We were on the fall TA on The Legend in an original design cabin which we thought we preferred over the new style. We had to change cabins on day 2 as there was an issue with banging in the bulkhead so they offered us an upgrade to a newly designed cabin which we were not sure we’d like. We have always enjoyed the seating area near the window. But surprisingly, we loved the new arrangement. We liked that room service didn’t have to walk by the bed in the early am to deliver our coffee and that when coming into the cabin into the seating area to drop all our ‘stuff’ was more convenient. I tend to lounge a bit later than husband so the bed near the window was perfect. Curtain separating the areas were the same in both cabins. I also thought the cabin seemed even larger walking into the seating area vs. the bed. The new bathrooms are the same in both style cabins and are very nice. We have booked a new style cabin on the Legend for our fall transatlantic again. Can’t wait!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, richardbohn said:

Do all of the older designed cabins have connecting rooms? On the deck plan it looks like all of the original star balcony suites have a door connecting the suites and the newer cabins do not.

The connecting is done by closing the outer door to the corridor and opening the inner door to each of the connecting csbins

Horses for courses I suppose. We found the sofa by the window difficult to deal with. The other half needs the vanity area to get ready for the evening, which leaves me doing acrobatics to get to and from the closet and bathroom. That is the layout in the older cabins on the Breeze.

Confirming what the others said:

The original cabins still have the layout with the sitting area by the window. 

The original cabins have new bathrooms and have been spiffed up some but are largely unchanged. 

The connecting cabins aren't connected by a door in the cabin. The cabin doors are recessed from the hallway leaving an entry area. There is a third door on the hall that can be closed if you want to use a pair of cabins as connecting cabins. The only case where there is an internal door connecting two cabins is between the living area of the Owner's Suite and the adjacent cabin (640/638 and 641/639) so the Owner's Suite can be combined with the adjacent cabin or the two adjacent cabins. If you look on the deck plan, you can see a layout of the Grand Owner's Suite showing the door between 640 and 638 as well as the typical 3 door layout connecting 638 and 636. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 6:10 AM, SailMaine said:

We were on the fall TA on The Legend in an original design cabin which we thought we preferred over the new style. We had to change cabins on day 2 as there was an issue with banging in the bulkhead so they offered us an upgrade to a newly designed cabin which we were not sure we’d like. We have always enjoyed the seating area near the window. But surprisingly, we loved the new arrangement. We liked that room service didn’t have to walk by the bed in the early am to deliver our coffee and that when coming into the cabin into the seating area to drop all our ‘stuff’ was more convenient. I tend to lounge a bit later than husband so the bed near the window was perfect. Curtain separating the areas were the same in both cabins. I also thought the cabin seemed even larger walking into the seating area vs. the bed. The new bathrooms are the same in both style cabins and are very nice. We have booked a new style cabin on the Legend for our fall transatlantic again. Can’t wait!

I have wondered if we might feel the same way for those reasons, but the idea of giving up sitting the couch and looking out the balcony or waking up in the middle of the night and going out to look at the moon over the water seems to out weigh the new room advantages. So we booked an original room for October cruise, but undoubtedly should try a new design on a trip someday. Thanks for a comparison perspective!

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2022 at 7:20 PM, new_cruiser said:

The original cabins have new bathrooms and have been spiffed up some but are largely unchanged. 

From some videos I've seen it looks like the materials in the original non-star balcony bathrooms have been updated, but they still have the bath/shower tubs rather than the new star cabin shower stalls with no tub. If they still have the tub, are there "gripper bars" attached to the walls as there used to be per older pix of the cabins? Thanks for any info.

2 hours ago, PSR said:

From some videos I've seen it looks like the materials in the original non-star balcony bathrooms have been updated, but they still have the bath/shower tubs rather than the new star cabin shower stalls with no tub. If they still have the tub, are there "gripper bars" attached to the walls as there used to be per older pix of the cabins? Thanks for any info.

Nearly all of the "original" cabins are now shower-only.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PSR said:

Only a few rooms have tubs. All bathrooms were replaced in the stretch. I had one with a tub this spring. I prefer a shower, but I upgraded to a balcony just over 90 days before. At that point, the cabins left in the category were one very far forward and one with the tub. Since the cruise included an Atlantic crossing, I took the one with the tub rather than more motion in a very forward cabin.

It does have grab bars. I don't generally need those yet in tubs on land, but they are quite welcome when things get bouncy at sea.

Edited by new_cruiser
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Nearly all of the "original" cabins are now shower-only.

5 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

Only a few rooms have tubs.

Thanks to both of you...is there any way online to tell if your choice has a tub?

1 hour ago, PSR said:

Thanks to both of you...is there any way online to tell if your choice has a tub?

Yes, on one of the motor yacht pages like this:

https://www.windstarcruises.com/ships/star-pride/

scroll to the bottom and click on "View Deck Plan" not "View Virtual Deck Plan" - the latter has pretty visuals of cabins and areas of the ship but is missing details like which cabins have tubs. 

The cabins with a bathtub have a symbol " ". If I didn't miss any in a quick scan, it is the cabins immediately for and aft of the forward elevator, immediately forward of the mid-ship elevator and the 4 most forward cabins on decks 5 and 6.That is 26 cabins. None of the porthole cabins have a tub. 

Thank you very much. I have looked at those pages in the past, but it might have been when I wasn't thinking about "tub locations"! 😀

P.S. I have another question: about restrooms. I am looking at the bottom deck with the main dining room. I only see one restroom in the front of the ship, across from the Medical Center. Is that available for use by guests? Seems kind of far to travel; otherwise I only see restrooms on the deck above the dining room.

Edited by PSR

12 hours ago, PSR said:

Thank you very much. I have looked at those pages in the past, but it might have been when I wasn't thinking about "tub locations"! 😀

P.S. I have another question: about restrooms. I am looking at the bottom deck with the main dining room. I only see one restroom in the front of the ship, across from the Medical Center. Is that available for use by guests? Seems kind of far to travel; otherwise I only see restrooms on the deck above the dining room.

Yes, public.  Before the stretch, Amphora was next to those rest rooms.  Now there are cabins in between.  Minor inconvenience.

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2022 at 2:49 PM, PSR said:

Hmm  - seems to be an inaccuracy in the plan. There is definitely a pair of restrooms between the spiral stair and Amphora on deck 3. At least, I know it is there on Star Legend. I've been on board post stretch and have used the Women's room before entering Amphora on that side. I didn't realize there was a pair by the spiral stair on Deck 4.

So they aren't identical in that detail. Star Legend has guest restrooms in the aft part of Deck 3 and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have guest restrooms on Deck 4. 

The Star Legend restrooms are in the same place that they were pre-stretch so the difference may date from before the stretch. All my sailings on the motor yachts have been on Star Legend - not that I care which of the three I'm on - it's just worked out that way.

• 1 year later...

I think they are called queen, but we usually have trouble in queen beds and these seem more like in-betweer king and queen. They are taken apart for two separate beds so I suspect they are like some hotels which use non-standard sizes. They are very comfortable for us and I never book hotel or airbnb rooms with queen sized beds.