Update on entry requirements to Italy

marazul

What about returning to the US? I know that at least until 6/15 a negative test taken within a day is necessary for the flight home. but what happens if you test positive? I understand you must remain in Italy and self quarantine but how does that work? Is it basically the honor system at a hotel of your choice for a number of day or until you test negative or is the quarantine government enforced and regulated? Anyone know?

54 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

What about returning to the US? I know that at least until 6/15 a negative test taken within a day is necessary for the flight home. but what happens if you test positive? I understand you must remain in Italy and self quarantine but how does that work? Is it basically the honor system at a hotel of your choice for a number of day or until you test negative or is the quarantine government enforced and regulated? Anyone know?

Please, look at this thread:

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2022 at 9:02 PM, Sabbycat said:

Would KN95 masks be acceptable or would they have to be N95. I assumed they had to be N95 and not KN95.

We just bought the ones that're what the US requires. They were so much cheaper, and I guess if we get there and they aren't okay, we'll just pick one up someplace over there. I can't imagine they wouldn't accept it since it's the equivalent, but we shall see.

2 hours ago, trotzoll said:

We just bought the ones that're what the US requires. They were so much cheaper, and I guess if we get there and they aren't okay, we'll just pick one up someplace over there. I can't imagine they wouldn't accept it since it's the equivalent, but we shall see.

My understanding is that KN95 is acceptable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mcrlyons said:

I've got the blue medical masks will they be ok 

At the moment if going inside the Vatican and some other private Museums, Palaces that run tours you will need the N95, Kn95 or our equivalent in Australia is the P2, not the blue medical/surgical mask.

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2022 at 3:15 AM, Mcrlyons said:

No, they won't.

Surgical mask aren't the same as KN95 or FFP2 masks and as frantic36 stated, you will be denied entry to several places if you wear one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlosalonsor said:

No, they won't.

Surgical mask aren't the same as KN95 or FFP2 masks and as frantic36 stated, you will be denied entry to several places if you wear one.

I've ordered the FFP2 masks now.Thank you both for your reply 

• Like 1

From everything I have read it definitely sound like you do not want to wait and depend on having to do return to the US Covid tests at the airport. Much better to find this out before you get to the airport even though the airport can be easier.  If you should find yourself with a last min positive test you could find yourself staying in Italy for up to 21 days.   Tests are repeated at 7 days then every 48hrs up to a max of 21 days when you can get a COR (certificate of recovery). Some folks have reported having their passports held while they are in quarantine in govt sponsored hotels.  
Read through these Celebrity boards and you will read a number of stories of those that are stuck in Italy. 

On 5/22/2022 at 4:15 AM, Mcrlyons said:

The mandate for KN95/FFP2 masks extends through June 15.  It is not known whether it will be extended.  Private venues like the Vatican can always extend this requirements for their visitors.

12 hours ago, mauimary said:

From everything I have read it definitely sound like you do not want to wait and depend on having to do return to the US Covid tests at the airport. Much better to find this out before you get to the airport even though the airport can be easier.  If you should find yourself with a last min positive test you could find yourself staying in Italy for up to 21 days.   Tests are repeated at 7 days then every 48hrs up to a max of 21 days when you can get a COR (certificate of recovery). Some folks have reported having their passports held while they are in quarantine in govt sponsored hotels.  
Read through these Celebrity boards and you will read a number of stories of those that are stuck in Italy. 

You do not need to test negative after the quarantine.  Most people continue to test positive long after they have recovered from Covid. You can get a Certificate of Recovery after 7-10 days of your positive test.  

To get back into the USA you (US citizen or permanent resident) must:

1. Present a negative COVID test taken no more than 1 day before flight departure

OR

2. Documentation of Recovery which consists of two parts:

a.  A positive (you had COVID) viral COVID test showing where it was taken, done within the last 90 days, and identifying you (name and DOB matching your passport), AND

b.  A signed letter from a health care provider or public health official stating that you are cleared for travel.  The letter must be on an official letterhead showing the name, address and phone number of the issuer.

You do not need to show a negative test if you have Documentation of Recovery.

There is more in the following thread:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Thenagers said:

I went into set up my Verifly for our flight to Rome on the 23rd.  It said that all Covid restrictions were gone?  I do not even have to upload my vaccinations.

That is correct. As of yesterday (June 1) Italy has dropped the vaccination requirement, the need for a Green Pass and the passenger locator.  Only requirement still left is wearing a (good quality) mask in certain indoor venues and on all public transportation. 

Trying to get info on quarantine requirements is a bit more difficult. Not sure that those have changed as of yet....

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

all public transportation

If it's not much trouble for you, cm42 -- I find the definition of "public transportation" quite vague... 3 couples in our roll call, from the same hotel, booked a transfer to Civvi through our hotel.

How can I find if this transfer to Civvi "qualifies" under "public transportation" ??

Thanks, 

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

If it's not much trouble for you, cm42 -- I find the definition of "public transportation" quite vague... 3 couples in our roll call, from the same hotel, booked a transfer to Civvi through our hotel.

How can I find if this transfer to Civvi "qualifies" under "public transportation" ??

Thanks, 

Well, it's a little unclear based on what's been published so far. The US embassy in Italy posts that masks are required 'on all transportation', which seems pretty inclusive.

• From May 1 until June 15, 2022, the use of more protective FFP2/KN95 masks is mandatory to participate in all indoor athletic, cultural and recreational events, and on all transportation.

https://it.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

On the other hand, here there is a specific list given, and shared rides isn't mentioned:

However, authorities in Italy have announced that FFP2 masks must be worn until June 15 on all long-distance public transport, such as buses, trams, regional trains, subways, ferries, planes as well as high-speed trains.

If it were me, I'd just have a mask handy, in case it's needed. If it's a major concern, an email query to your hotel, since they made the arrangements, might provide an answer.

Edited by cruisemom42

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

If it's a major concern, an email query to your hotel, since they made the arrangements, might provide an answer.

Thank you, I appreciate your detailed reply. Enclosed quarters for at least 75 minutes, with pax who had flown a day earlier from the States. I'd like to wear a mask. I'd like the others to wear one too...

To be on "solid" ground, I'll take gratefully your advice and email the hotel.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 2:45 PM, dani negreanu said:

We booked a transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia with 2 other couples from our roll call. We plan to wear masks during the journey.

It looks like our pre-cruise stay in Rome cannot be booked through our cruise line (waitlisted.)  We would like to book a two-bedroom suite at the Crown Plaza Rome -Saint Peter's.  How were you able to schedule your transfer if it wasn't through your cruise line?  How much did it cost you?

All advice on this is welcome! 

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

How were you able to schedule your transfer if it wasn't through your cruise line? 

I never "do" any transfer through the cruise lines. Plenty of cheaper opportunities otherwise, after paying an arm and leg, and being stuck in a bus, waiting for this couple who forgot something, and this couple  who didn't wake up in time.

Our hotel offered us a PAID transfer from Rome to the port. After checking prices, we booked with them.

Pls. see here many recommendations for a transfer to port --

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

I second the idea of booking through the hotel.  They do this all the time, and will organise a reliable transfer for you.

+ 1 👍

@Daniel A

Forgot to inform you about the cost... This is the email we've got from the hotel regarding transfers:

"Please be reminded that the property organizes also private car transfers from/to the airport for €50.00 (one way) or to/from the cruise port of Civitavecchia for €130.00. "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, we booked ours' through our hotel (Hotel Golden) and we got 2 vans (there are 10 of us) for 340euro (gratuities included).

Question....and I suppose this is a good place......are we currently still as of today (June 4) still expected to test prior to boarding the ship? We are cruising Celebrity, and I think they are still requiring that.....I know we are still required to test prior to flying by to the States, but I was hoping that since Italy has dropped their protocols, that the cruise lines would as well.....

Keeping the Seas calm and the Sun out,

Andy