Pierside Covid testing?

pfund

Has Silversea eliminated pierside Covid testing as of April 30 as threatened?  Or are they still doing testing, but perhaps for a fee?  I am particularly interested in Seward, AK.

TIA,

Margery

I'd really like to know the answer to this. We are joining Silver Spirit on 24th in Athens but we will already have been in Athens for three days so may need to source a test in Greece which obviously is not entirely straightforward because of the need for recognised tester. We had resigned ourselves to a slow boarding after a pierside test but then saw the notification that this is to be discontinued. Does anyone have any further information/advice?

We were in Athens in November and needed tests to return to the US.  No problem, there were testing facilities everywhere in the pharmacies and also standalone kiosks.  The Hotel also offered testing every day between 11 and 1.  We just asked at the desk.   Price was 10 euro everywhere.  

I am boarding in Europe this month and got my TA to check with SS who confirmed quayside testing with no fee up to end of May.

Much can change before you go  but I would refer you to the SS website home page. Click on  the ‘Healthy Sailing’ button and you will see specific reference to Alaska.

End of April becomes End of May……

Hopefully End of May becomes End of June.

We are due to embark in Venice in June after 3 nights hotel stay on a small island.

Surely they have to keep offering pier side testing or scrap the requirement altogether.

As others have said, it’s not the cost but the hassle of arranging.

• Like 1

End of May then turns into June.......I am sailing Dawn on June 27th out of Barcelona. Waiting to see if they put new protocols in the place......will they still offer pier side testing? Nobody seems to know the answer to that question at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

Another two weeks have passed and I don’t think we are any clearer about what is happening to pier side testing. 

Have I missed anything? 

Boarding Spirit in Venice in June after a 3 night stay at a Hotel on a small Venetian Island, followed by water taxi to the cruise port ti check in, to be followed by a bus to Fusina to finally board Spirit. Not sure many options to get tested other than pier side. 

8 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Another two weeks have passed and I don’t think we are any clearer about what is happening to pier side testing. 

Have I missed anything? 

Boarding Spirit in Venice in June after a 3 night stay at a Hotel on a small Venetian Island, followed by water taxi to the cruise port ti check in, to be followed by a bus to Fusina to finally board Spirit. Not sure many options to get tested other than pier side. 

I am boarding Dawn in Venice on June 10th --  after searching the SS site I've learned that is the next (first ?) cruise out of Venice.  As far as I can tell, in other ports SS is doing pier-side testing, and I am hoping that will continue into June. A couple of weeks ago I received an email from SS saying they will send cruise specific information 15 days out, instead of 30 because of constantly changing regulations.  So, while I await further information from SS,  my backup plan is to do a test at VCO airport when I arrive June 9th -- I know that's not helpful for you.   I will post my experience since I know many have the same concerns.

37 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

I am boarding Dawn in Venice on June 10th --  after searching the SS site I've learned that is the next (first ?) cruise out of Venice.  As far as I can tell, in other ports SS is doing pier-side testing, and I am hoping that will continue into June. A couple of weeks ago I received an email from SS saying they will send cruise specific information 15 days out, instead of 30 because of constantly changing regulations.  So, while I await further information from SS,  my backup plan is to do a test at VCO airport when I arrive June 9th -- I know that's not helpful for you.   I will post my experience since I know many have the same concerns.

Wow, that is great thanks. You post is much appreciated. We are departing on June 17th, so your timing will be perfect. I am sure I can find somewhere in Venice to do a pharmacy based test if they have stopped pier side testing in June, but it is now what I wanted to do in the few days we have pre-cruise in Venice.

We have had the same info regarding the 15 days days out rather than 30 days out. It will be interesting to see what they say to you in your cruise specific information. Also, it will be interesting to see how they deal with embarkation times, given that we have to check in at the Cruise Terminal and many will be arriving by water taxi. Can't make my mind up about trying to get their early (possibly with everybody else) or get there towards the end of embarkation when the early rush may have subsided.

• Like 1

We were sent an email from SS and our TA that states there is NO pier side testing!

If we turn up for embarkation without a valid test certificate done within the previous 72 hours, then we will be denied boarding!

Our sailing departs 30 May on the Moon.

The probability of having pier side testing with SS appear to be over unlike with other cruise lines…

• Like 1

The Silversea Healthy Return to Sailing page on the website provides different information for different regions in the world. 

EU departures still say there will be pier side testing if independent negative tests are not provided. 

Northern Europe (assume cover the Moon departure from Iceland on May 30 referred to above) departures says that independent negative tests should be presented in boarding but is silent on what happens if not provided. 

By contrast, departures from Canada, Alaska and New England require a negative test before boarding but it does state that pier side testing will not be provided and boarding will be denied if a negative test result is not provided. 

The lesson of the story is to be careful about generalisations as it would appear that Silversea are operating different rules by different spheres of operation. Which makes sense because rules vary by jurisdiction.

Obviously it could all change! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

The Silversea Healthy Return to Sailing page on the website provides different information for different regions in the world. 

EU departures still say there will be pier side testing if independent negative tests are not provided. 

Northern Europe (assume cover the Moon departure from Iceland on May 30 referred to above) departures says that independent negative tests should be presented in boarding but is silent on what happens if not provided. 

By contrast, departures from Canada, Alaska and New England require a negative test before boarding but it does state that pier side testing will not be provided and boarding will be denied if a negative test result is not provided. 

The lesson of the story is to be careful about generalisations as it would appear that Silversea are operating different rules by different spheres of operation. Which makes sense because rules vary by jurisdiction.

Obviously it could all change! 

I was about to post essentially the same thing, you beat me to it! 😀

@Solon  I will add the time requirement also changes: for Italy is it is 1-day/24 hours, you mention 72 hours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solon said:

We were sent an email from SS and our TA that states there is NO pier side testing!

If we turn up for embarkation without a valid test certificate done within the previous 72 hours, then we will be denied boarding!

Our sailing departs 30 May on the Moon.

The probability of having pier side testing with SS appear to be over unlike with other cruise lines…

WOW😲....I spoke with my rep earlier this week and she told me otherwise. I will speak with her again this coming week. I am sailing out of Barcelona next month and I hope what you were told changes. 

16 minutes ago, Lois R said:

WOW😲....I spoke with my rep earlier this week and she told me otherwise. I will speak with her again this coming week. I am sailing out of Barcelona next month and I hope what you were told changes. 

There are definitely differences based on where you're sailing from as noted on the SS Healthy Sail page. 

https://www.silversea.com/lp-silversea-hrts-consumer.html

• Like 1

I wrote my post as a warning to those hoping that pier side testing would continue.  Obviously, it is extremely important to read your cruise ticket information carefully before your cruise 15 days later.

It would appear the strategy for SS is to make the customer responsible for their own tests relieving them of the cost.  I predict this cost savings for the company will certainly extend to the whole fleet no matter where the sailing originates.  We will see.

You are correct that our cruise departs from Iceland which is a part of the EEA, but not the EU.

The email did state that boarding would be denied if you are without a valid test certificate!

Finally, I hope others don’t experience last minute scrambling to get a test as a result of these ever changing rules!

Hopefully, we will fail our test in a week…..😷

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mchell810 said:

There are definitely differences based on where you're sailing from as noted on the SS Healthy Sail page. 

https://www.silversea.com/lp-silversea-hrts-consumer.html

Further to your reply to me elsewhere (thank you BTW)

Cruise Line info on this subject claiming to be quoting port COVID requirements appear to differ and it maybe because of generalisations rather than factual country requirements.

I'm specifically refering to the EU. Its stated you need an antigen test within 24 hours to board. Azamara are saying a PCR within 3 days is fine. People with PCRs 2 days old have been declined boarding in Greece.

I can't get my head round why countries in the EU are happy for you to arrive without a test, but require one to leave on a ship.

In the UK we had a similar problem which wasn't rectified until June last year, specifically regarding cruising and "international waters". I do wonder if this is also awaiting "catch up" time.

But whatever it is, CL are laying responsibility for correct test requirements to be adhered to, but giving out conflicting info.

I've not seen any official EU or country site spelling out specifics for boarding and it only seems to be CL saying it's the case but claiming different things. 

Azamara are saying home (supervised) tests are not valid.... Silversea are saying they are.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, les37b said:

Further to your reply to me elsewhere (thank you BTW)

Cruise Line info on this subject claiming to be quoting port COVID requirements appear to differ and it maybe because of generalisations rather than factual country requirements.

I'm specifically refering to the EU. Its stated you need an antigen test within 24 hours to board. Azamara are saying a PCR within 3 days is fine. People with PCRs 2 days old have been declined boarding in Greece.

I can't get my head round why countries in the EU are happy for you to arrive without a test, but require one to leave on a ship.

In the UK we had a similar problem which wasn't rectified until June last year, specifically regarding cruising and "international waters". I do wonder if this is also awaiting "catch up" time.

But whatever it is, CL are laying responsibility for correct test requirements to be adhered to, but giving out conflicting info.

I've not seen any official EU or country site spelling out specifics for boarding and it only seems to be CL saying it's the case but claiming different things. 

Azamara are saying home (supervised) tests are not valid.... Silversea are saying they are.

I haven't found anything specific from nations saying a test is required for cruising, but it seems all CL are requiring it so we are are stuck.  I do believe generalizations by CL and passengers creation much of the confusion.  Someone may post what worked from them without realizing it may be different from what is required in a different region; while some CL are better at giving full information than others.  It is frustrating to have conflicting information. Personally, I am relying on the SS and the most stringent requirements I find (and will do the same in November when I sail Azamara regardless of what Azamara says). 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

I haven't found anything specific from nations saying a test is required for cruising, but it seems all CL are requiring it so we are are stuck.  I do believe generalizations by CL and passengers creation much of the confusion.  Someone may post what worked from them without realizing it may be different from what is required in a different region; while some CL are better at giving full information than others.  It is frustrating to have conflicting information. Personally, I am relying on the SS and the most stringent requirements I find (and will do the same in November when I sail Azamara regardless of what Azamara says). 

Absolutely.

When Azamara guests were refused boarding after following their own PCR  guidelines for boarding, it raised the question if it was specific to Greece, they got it wrong when looking at the certs.... Or worse, there are no instructions that it's a preference guests tests before boarding (which I'm ok with) and easier to say "it's not us"

Obviously having the correct info, gives guests the option to choose. Nothing worse than being instructed at your expense to test, then pay for yet another because they got it wrong.

The instance I refer was Greece. I board in Lisbon in 3 weeks. I obviously don't also want to be in that situation to pay the £89 for a same day PCR each, then $59 at the port cos they gave bad instructions.

• Like 1

I am very disturbed by this.  We fly to Italy on cruise day with SS on 17 June.  

In April we flew to Lisbon having carefully gone for our test at the. last minute before leaving home on the 16th to go to Heathrow hotel.   When we finally reached the port after long delays at the airport (good luck with that Les} our 24 hours had been exceeded by a couple of hours and they would not accept result.   In one sense it did not matter too much as you could have a test at the port but annoying nevertheless.

However the 17 june will be trickier and you will be denied boarding with no backup.    Our daughter drives us to Heathrow and then drives back.  She does not want to drive in rush hour round Heathrow and the M25.  We cannot therefore risk getting it locally this time.   So we need to get it at Heathrow except it is not really Heathrow but the Marriott Hotel.   So we have to book a definite time there.  That will not be easy because you never know what may happen on the motorway.

I do wish SS would do this at port still and charge us.

Back to Lisbon which we landed at twice once in March once in April on Seabourn and SS respectively.   The airport was a nightmare and I have decided however good the itinerary or price I will never sail from there again.  It was awful on the Seabourn trip but we were part of group and we had a night in a hotel so not as much pressure.  Testing was at the port.

On the Ss trip they had arranged for us to be taken to the Inercontinental for a light lunch whilst waiting for boarding.   We were so delayed at the airport that never happened and we went directly to the port.   This was nothing compared to two ladies from Australia who were supposed to arrive at the airport at lunchtime which they did then were four hours stood in the never ending queue for immigration.  They were the last to board the ship late afternoon.    Sorry to worry anyone flying there but just to warn you to be careful about your test times.

29 minutes ago, mancunian said:

However the 17 june will be trickier and you will be denied boarding with no backup.    

We are on the 17 June departure on Spirit from Venice, Italy. Flying out from Heathrow three days beforehand. We are awaiting the final boarding instructions from SS, which we are told will be issued 15 days beforehand. 

The current information on the SS website for EU embarkation is that pier side testing will be provided. This can be found at:

https://www.silversea.com/lp-silversea-hrts-consumer-eu.html

It does provide details of what testing you can do yourself to expedite boarding.  In my experience, whenever I have done things to expedite boarding, uploading vaccination certificates into VeriFLY etc, I am often asked to provide sight of same. 

Obviously this could all change and we await the embarkation instructions with more than the normal interest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

We are on the 17 June departure on Spirit from Venice, Italy. Flying out from Heathrow three days beforehand. We are awaiting the final boarding instructions from SS, which we are told will be issued 15 days beforehand. 

The current information on the SS website for EU embarkation is that pier side testing will be provided. This can be found at:

https://www.silversea.com/lp-silversea-hrts-consumer-eu.html

It does provide details of what testing you can do yourself to expedite boarding.  In my experience, whenever I have done things to expedite boarding, uploading vaccination certificates into VeriFLY etc, I am often asked to provide sight of same. 

Obviously this could all change and we await the embarkation instructions with more than the normal interest. 

Thank you for posting this information. We board the same ship a week after you, I am so confused at the moment what is required and what isn't?

I am somewhat relieved that my next cruise is on Whisper from Edinburgh to Iceland, enabling me to book a test at my local pharmacy on the morning I travel, the day before boarding.

With all this nonsense prevailing, I think I will just stop cruising after next month until there are no more tests, masks, vaccination records etc etc. It is making what used to be a fantastic experience into total stress.

We just got on Silver Whisper in Copenhagen.  Approximately 20 days ahead of departure we got an email from SS stating very clearly that we needed to provide a negative test (either by a 3rd party or a proctored self test) that was administered within 3 days of departure.  And just as clearly they stated that they would not be doing any testing pierside and if you arrived without the negative test you would be denied boarding.  There were also add'l rules around fully vaccinated ( 2 doses) and vaccinated up-to-date (doses + booster).  The email was very clear..you must come with the negative test or you are not getting on the ship.  

At the pier there were various stations set up that were manned by Seabourn personnel and they asked for each bit of documentation (completed health questionnaire provided at entry to terminal with temperature taken as you turned it in, then the vaccine card, then your negative test results and then your passport).  At each station your docs were scrutinized but it was all very professional and we were through these hoops in about 10 mins total.

The one thing that was different was the amount of time it took to get access to the suites.  Whisper is a small ship but we weren't grated access to the suites until about 4:20 PM with the mandatory 2nd half of the life boat drill happening at 5:00 PM so it was all a bit of a rush.

But we are having a wonderful time and it is worth the hassle for the fun of the cruise.